Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh-oh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh-oh?

So tonight I made a few runs at the track with the gto. It was nice cool weather so I wanted to see what I could put down. On the way home, a buddy and I were enjoying some spirited driving, so the car never really got a breather between the track runs and the WOT runs on the highway. I park it in the garage and as im walking away im hearing all the little pops and pings our cars make as their cooling down. Then, all of a sudden I hear a *PING* and faintly hear a sound that could only be described as oil spilling out on cardboard. I'm cursing as I begin to look under the car, but nothing - sound continues for another second or so. I hear it again, and the spilling sound follows right after, and again moments later. I'm thinking WHAT THE ****. I look at the skid plate, no oil - only residue from past oil changes. Open the hood, everything looks in order.

Sound appears to be coming from more of the drivers side part of the car, right underneath the motor - possibly a cat, can they burn up?. I can't really describe the sound, like i said earlier, it really sounded like oil hitting the cardboard but there was absolutely nothing. No smell, no smoke, no nothing. Could it somehow be coming from the drivers side cat? Car is bone-stock with the exception of a tune.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exhaust makes all kinds of sounds when cooling down. My stainless headers make some weird sounds after hard driving. If nothing is leaking I wouldn't worry about it. you'll also have condensation in the hot exhaust helping the "ping" sound.