Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Running Rough; Won't Make Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Car Running Rough; Won't Make Power

So I got in the SS a bit ago to run to the parts store to get some stuff to work on the g/f's Camry... Fired her up and she was idling fine, but as soon as I put her in gear and went to go, the car began running very rough. Gave it a little pedal and it shuddered and kicked a little, but wouldn't accelerate. I limped it back around the bloock and parked it. It smells like it's dumping a ton of fuel, so I'm thinking an O2 sensor went out? Any ideas, fellas? Thanks a ton!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

whens the last time youve had a tune up done, spark plugs,wires,fuel filter? it could very well be an 02 sensor or a clogged cat, do you have any codes?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have a fuel filter I was planning on installing today, actually. Did plugs and wires about a year ago. I have no cats, so it can't be that. The car's been throwing low O2 reading codes for a couple years since I did the headers, but have never had any issues. I checked the depth of the sensors into the exhaust stream and they're right where they should be.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone always want to jump on blaming Cats...Sounds like you may have lost a sensor to me possibly tps, or maybe a rpm counter such as crank or cam...If your getting a raw fuel smell it would be caused by either of them due to loss of ability of the computer to know where the throttle body is at or the engine event to time the injectors and coils spark to..Possible that you may have lost a coil as well and it is giving you a bad missfire...I would definately try to read current codes and even flash the pcm either with a reader or unhook the battery and see what it does if you start it again...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
Everyone always want to jump on blaming Cats...Sounds like you may have lost a sensor to me possibly tps, or maybe a rpm counter such as crank or cam...If your getting a raw fuel smell it would be caused by either of them due to loss of ability of the computer to know where the throttle body is at or the engine event to time the injectors and coils spark to..Possible that you may have lost a coil as well and it is giving you a bad missfire...I would definately try to read current codes and even flash the pcm either with a reader or unhook the battery and see what it does if you start it again...
yeah why wouldnt i assume cats, thats a symptom of a bad cat or o2?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I scanned it and came up with the infamous P0135, P1133, and P1153 codes. I've had LTs on the car for four years or so and have always had the common codes issues. I cleared the codes and then put the car up so I could check out the O2 connections and discovered that the driver front sensor connecting wire had come loose and been melted by both the tranny and one of the header tubes. Sooo... I reckon that this is probably the issue, as all the codes are Bank 1, Sensor 1. Going to get new wires and O2s tomorrow and throw them on to see if this remedies the situation. If not... well.... haha!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

yep thats it, did you get a tune after you put on longtubes?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
yeah why wouldnt i assume cats, thats a symptom of a bad cat or o2?
Well seeing as how you want to quote me...Since he didn't mention any rotten egg type stopped up cat smell, and the car was obviously running fine up until now, as a cat failure would most likely led up to this problem with a gradual decline in power and one bank of the engine would probably started showing a very rich O2 reading caused by the inability of the carbon dioxide to evacuate the system...That is why I would not have assumed Cats in the first place...With the onset of the problem being so abrupt and crippling to the car I would blame fault on an electrical part such as I suggested which can both determine how the car both delivers and handles its fuel within the system
Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
Well seeing as how you want to quote me...Since he didn't mention any rotten egg type stopped up cat smell, and the car was obviously running fine up until now, as a cat failure would most likely led up to this problem with a gradual decline in power and one bank of the engine would probably started showing a very rich O2 reading caused by the inability of the carbon dioxide to evacuate the system...That is why I would not have assumed Cats in the first place...With the onset of the problem being so abrupt and crippling to the car I would blame fault on an electrical part such as I suggested which can both determine how the car both delivers and handles its fuel within the system
uhhhh...ok
Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
yep thats it, did you get a tune after you put on longtubes?
No, because I was planning to do other mods like a cam, etc. I just lost interest in all that so I have yet to get a tune. Been pondering it ever since I lost interest, though, and now I know that I should get on that! lol
Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

check your ''eng sen'' fuse too after you changed the wire. This fuse popped out when I melted some wires on the headers causing a shortcircuit. Dont know if your particular wire would cause the same issue with that fuse. BUT, my maf wasnt reading anymore and the car was running like crap, stalling and feeling slower..
Old 09-28-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
check your ''eng sen'' fuse too after you changed the wire. This fuse popped out when I melted some wires on the headers causing a shortcircuit. Dont know if your particular wire would cause the same issue with that fuse. BUT, my maf wasnt reading anymore and the car was running like crap, stalling and feeling slower..
When my engine sensor fuse blew mine would'nt move 5 feet before knocking off
Old 09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to mention.... before I scanned it and all, I let it sit so I could finish the work on my g/f's car. about 3o minutes later I went to move mine into the driveway and it ran just fine. Nevertheless, I checked it as previously mentioned and discovered said issue.