Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Smoke coming from Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke coming from Exhaust

So I was driving home from work yesterday and noticed some white smoke coming from my exhaust. Didn't think too much of it at the time. By the time I got into my neighborhood, I could see a thick white trail following my car. I completely fogged out the whole neighborhood. Checked oil and coolant levels. Both were fine. Just had the oil changed on Monday too.

Drove to work and noticed a little bit of smoke here and there along the way. When I parked and turned off the car, I went and looked at the exhaust and there was white smoke still coming out. Not as thick as yesterday, but noticeable.

Anyone know what this could be? Should I refrain from driving the car home from work? Anything I should look for?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like coolant. What did it smell like? Coolant typically smells somewhat sweet when it burns. If it is a thick white smoke, that is what it sounds like. You can pressurize the cooling system and see if there is a leak to help determine the problem. Let me know what you find or if we can help!

Jon
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm, I hope it is just coolant, or something like that.

Any chance it is my bottom end going? Oil in the combustion chamber or anything like that?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you might have a leaky head gasket?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

What is the best action for me to take? Should I have a leakdown and a compression test? Should I be refraining from driving the car?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

White smoke is generally coolant getting burned in the cylinders, black smoke is generally a bad fuel/air mixture. However white smoke isn't always coolant, it could also be oil. Some oils will burn white or a white-ish blue (usually a cause of engine wear, bad rings etc). I would suggest checking your heads for cracks, leaks and bad gaskets.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

I'm hoping its not oil getting through the rings. I just added some fuel cleaner for water in the gas. Thinking maybe I got a bad tank of gas, crossing my fingers.

I don't have any discoloration to my oil, so I don't think it's a head gasket. That would give me the milky oil, right? I hope my bottom end is taking a **** on me. Looks like the NOS will have to wait for now.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant level OK? Oil level OK? What has been done recently - you mentioned the fuel system cleaner?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressue test your cooling system (my guess) is H. gasket and see what you come away with. Don't drive it unless you want to do rings and a bearings too. Coolant is especially hard on bearings. Good luck. What does the oil look like?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

You dont have it drive very far for your low coolant light to kick on if the smoke is thick. If nothing else, it will be low in the radiator. Pull your dipstick and look at the consistancy of the oil. If it looks like caramel, smells funny, or is thin likk water DO NOT START the car. I have fallen victim to a nice short block ruining bearings due to over fueling and water.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

As for all the questions. My coolant level has been staying the same. My oil looks fine. The fuel cleaner for water in the gas did nothing. It was just a shot in the dark. I was hoping bad fuel, but no.

I get barely any white smoke when driving normal to and from work. If I ever get on it harder, like getting on the highway, I notice the smoke tail following me.

My mechanic has been working on my tune on and off for the past few months. Just tweaked it again 2 weeks ago. I did notice when he pulled it back in after a test drive some white smoke coming from the exhaust. I asked him if the A/F was reading a little rich... I guess it was the start of this situation I noticed.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Well I didn't feel like making a new thread on a same subject, so...

Same thing is happening to me, but it's the thick white smoke at any RPM (obviously thicker when I get on it). It doesn't smoke nearly as bad when it is first started up as compared when it is warm. It is idling kind of rough and is dumping fuel out the exhaust. Oil levels look good and all...What's going on? Also, it looks like it started doing it right after I put a tank of gas in it (hoping it's just a bad tank...even if it is $65 worth), not sure if these could be symptoms of a bad tank of gas?

Just an FYI, this is for my daily driver Maxima...This is about the only website I am on that the people actually know what they are talking about as opposed to the 16 year old internet warriors.
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thread Hijacker!!! J/K

I hope your situation is different than mine. Looks like my bottom end is on its last leg. It's at the shop right now and we are low on #7 cylinder pressure. Bad news

Mine is burning oil, just happens to be white smoke. Maybe its the Royal Purple oil, but oil is usually a blueish kinda smoke. Either way, I'm stuck with no car and a huge headache!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dankl
Thread Hijacker!!! J/K

I hope your situation is different than mine. Looks like my bottom end is on its last leg. It's at the shop right now and we are low on #7 cylinder pressure. Bad news

Mine is burning oil, just happens to be white smoke. Maybe its the Royal Purple oil, but oil is usually a blueish kinda smoke. Either way, I'm stuck with no car and a huge headache!
Ouch...That is definitely unfortunate. Hopefully I'm not in the same boat as you

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Might be time for the 6.0 Iron Block to get built with a 408 or 427 Stroker...
Old 10-10-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not called "white smoke". It's called steam. You can start with a compression test, but a leak down would be better. You can remove the coolant cap and watch for bubbles during the test. Sounds like it's time to pull the heads.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Default 2010 chevy camaro

My car is having a issue similar to yours i was driving and my car started to drive real sluggish its a 6 speed so i look down at the message board and it said low engine pressure this started to slow my car down then very thick clouds of white smoke started coming from my tail pipes so i pulled to the auto zpne they put the machine on it and it gave a code for the fuel pressure regulator so i had it towed to the dealer ship where i purchased it from and they replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel injector but my car is still doing the same thing and there acting like they can't figure out whats wrong with it i need sum help please so my car can be back up and running also this smoke that came from the tail pipes smells very high of gas fumes
Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

You are responding to an eleven year old thread

Quick Reply: White Smoke coming from Exhaust