Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2 Intake?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is arguing that a ported Fast wouldn't out perform a ported LS2. I don't understand why everyone always throws that out there. Everyone already knows this to be a fact. But if your on a budget & want a 90mm set-up, this is a cheaper alternative by far. I have $600 in my entire 90mm set-up intake & TB together. You cannot hardly even buy a un-ported Fast for that amount. If you do you got luck in the sale section.

I didn't have over $1k to spend on a intake alone for my daily driver. Now if I was building a max effort set-up for a weekend/track car then I would buy the absolute best & not care if my car was under a cover down for 6 months while I saved for the more expensive parts. But I am not in that position currently, so thats not even a option for me & I'm sure there are alot of others in the same boat right now with the economy. We still like to mod but there is a bottom to our pockets & budget to stay within.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
No one is arguing that a ported Fast wouldn't out perform a ported LS2. I don't understand why everyone always throws that out there. Everyone already knows this to be a fact. But if your on a budget & want a 90mm set-up, this is a cheaper alternative by far. I have $600 in my entire 90mm set-up intake & TB together. You cannot hardly even buy a un-ported Fast for that amount. If you do you got luck in the sale section.

I didn't have over $1k to spend on a intake alone for my daily driver. Now if I was building a max effort set-up for a weekend/track car then I would buy the absolute best & not care if my car was under a cover down for 6 months while I saved for the more expensive parts. But I am not in that position currently, so thats not even a option for me & I'm sure there are alot of others in the same boat right now with the economy. We still like to mod but there is a bottom to our pockets & budget to stay within.

Agreed

I am saving for a Ported FAST w/C6 mod...don't ask

$830 shipped for the FAST from Hinson and $299 for the port/C6 mod...NOT CHEAP. $37 per/rwhp

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...0-shipped.html

Then I will sell my ported LS2 for a few bucks to offset the cost.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt D ran a ported LS2 that I did for him on his SI car and also with a dry kit. I think that speaks for itself. And with a stock cam it made power to 6400, so I think the LS2 when ported right does just fine.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
Matt D ran a ported LS2 that I did for him on his SI car and also with a dry kit. I think that speaks for itself. And with a stock cam it made power to 6400, so I think the LS2 when ported right does just fine.
OK ......I guess my ported LS2 is worth money then when I ditch the POS for a ported FAST

Here is an LS2 cutaway, fyi

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-cutaway.html (junk intake)

Quote from thread:

"This is why the LS6 still outperforms the LS2 even with the smaller runners & a 75mm snout VS a 90mm.

Go with the FAST 92 if you want an intake that works. This car made 40 rwhp more & 42 rwtq swapping to the FAST 92 over this ported LS2."

Last edited by JayplaySS; 01-27-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by jayplayss2
i would need a link to even begin to believe that a ported ls2 inatke can remotely perform like a fast. No way it will carry to 7k. I have a ported ls2 now and my final mod will be a ported fast 92 and i know it will add over 25rwhp with even more under the curve (h/c ls2).

I would go sheet metal if you don't want to spend the cash on a fast. I would never try to run n20 on an ls2 intake. The main problem with thier 3 piece design is they are vacum'd together and they leak air between the cylinders causing leaner/richer conditions cylinder to cylinder.

Cory (ls2port works) always says ported ls2's are 8-12rwhp from porting only and a fast "should" add atleast that. you can gain an additional 20-25rwhp on top of that going to a ported fast. Nothing is cheap in this hobby.

you can make 435 through an ls2 though, so as long as thats your goal, youre good.

Ask cory if you should go ported fast or ported ls2....

look up lt1dave
Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
look up lt1dave

Im going to stick to Revxtreme's thread on my previous post of 40rwhp gain over the ported LS2 they tested.

Anyone want a ported LS2

Last edited by JayplaySS; 01-27-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Im going to stick to Revxtreme's thread on my previous post of 40rwhp gain over the ported LS2 they tested.

Anyone want a ported LS2

how much?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...good-read.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html

Again I don't know who ported your intake but every single one I have done added up to gains. A guy on the GTO forums made more than a guy with the same mods and a Fast. You can believe whatever you want, we have used them with great success and had no problems with distribution with the N20. But my post count isn't 20k so what do I know, I only go 9's N/A with a hyd roller wet sump LS2 with 243 heads thats street driven and tagged.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONEBADWS6 is right. We switched to a ported LS2 & PTM 90mm TB on my car and it went faster, in worse DA. It also picked up across the whole range when we put it on the Mustang dyno and changed the tables for the added flow of the intake. There is a reason why my bolton car, on motor, was beating the **** out of heads and cam cars all day long at the track and on the street. We know what we are doing. Trust me. That is also why I get 50+ PMs a day asking how to go fast.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Matt D
ONEBADWS6 is right. We switched to a ported LS2 & PTM 90mm TB on my car and it went faster, in worse DA. It also picked up across the whole range when we put it on the Mustang dyno and changed the tables for the added flow of the intake. There is a reason why my bolton car, on motor, was beating the **** out of heads and cam cars all day long at the track and on the street. We know what we are doing. Trust me. That is also why I get 50+ PMs a day asking how to go fast.

and he is the street racing director
Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UKRob
That is not what I have heard, it maybe the worst made intake, but it still flows better than the LS1, though the LS6 is the best stock intake.

I'll see if I can find the comparisons that I read.
It may flow better on a flow bench, but makes less power than the LS6. I have one dissected and pictures of it to show. Remember, you can have a garbage can on top of the motor that will out-flow any manifold on the market....but the motor won't run, or if it does, will make no power. Velocity & the volumetric efficiency make power, not flow. The FAST is still king.

Oh, and if someon claims they have dyno sheets to show they do (just like a hand ported TB), look closely at the runs. I see some fatten up the car to as much as 10.4-1 ( no timingfor the base run so power is down, then lean it out and add some timing to show how "their ported TB makes power", and then optimize the tune for the final [pull showing all the power the "ported LS2" makes. All a numbers game for those that don't know to see what the tuner is doing to manipulate it. Now this is the exception, not the rule as most are honest....but the few that aren't make it bad for all.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Well if a ported LS2 intake was such a issue how does a SI car make power as high as Matt's did?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
and he is the street racing director
Atleast start with capitol letters on your sentences if you are going to try and be sarcastic.

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
It may flow better on a flow bench, but makes less power than the LS6. I have one dissected and pictures of it to show. Remember, you can have a garbage can on top of the motor that will out-flow any manifold on the market....but the motor won't run, or if it does, will make no power. Velocity & the volumetric efficiency make power, not flow. The FAST is still king.

Oh, and if someon claims they have dyno sheets to show they do (just like a hand ported TB), look closely at the runs. I see some fatten up the car to as much as 10.4-1 ( no timingfor the base run so power is down, then lean it out and add some timing to show how "their ported TB makes power", and then optimize the tune for the final [pull showing all the power the "ported LS2" makes. All a numbers game for those that don't know to see what the tuner is doing to manipulate it. Now this is the exception, not the rule as most are honest....but the few that aren't make it bad for all.
Exactly

I have your link with the pics on post #24

I wonder how many ported LS2 intake cars out there out e.t./trap FAST equiped cars? I'm sure vice versa it's endless.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Switched from what?

So you don't even advise FAST intakes? Just ported LS2's?

Your car ran quicker time and mph with a ported LS2 than a FAST? If so, what tb were you running on the FAST? I did'nt see any FAST details in the 2 links left by ONEBADWS6....

Last edited by JayplaySS; 01-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...good-read.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html

Again I don't know who ported your intake but every single one I have done added up to gains. A guy on the GTO forums made more than a guy with the same mods and a Fast. You can believe whatever you want, we have used them with great success and had no problems with distribution with the N20. But my post count isn't 20k so what do I know, I only go 9's N/A with a hyd roller wet sump LS2 with 243 heads thats street driven and tagged.
About the N20.... I said I (me) would never run N20 on the LS2 intake. Guys do it, but I was saying that I personally would never do it. I would rather have a FAST with burst panels.

And yes, porting an LS2 intake does pick up power, usually 8-12rwhp from what I have seen. I have one.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

I've never said the LS2 is better than a fast, for the money you can't go wrong with a ported one. A ported Fast is MUCH better than a ported LS2 but not many people have the $800 difference to spend. Matt D switched from a ported tb/LS6 combo to the ported LS2/90mm tb combo. I just laugh at all the people who say the LS2 is junk, thats fine let someone else gain from your loss.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Switched from what?

So you don't even advise FAST intakes? Just ported LS2's?

Your car ran quicker time and mph with a ported LS2 than a FAST? If so, what tb were you running on the FAST? I did'nt see any FAST details in the 2 links left by ONEBADWS6....
Like ONEBADWS6 said, I switched from a LS6 and a Shaner ported stock TB. It made more power, picked up mph, and cut a faster e.t, in worse DA with the ported LS2 and non-ported PTM 90mm TB.

Where did I advise or say about a FAST intake in this thread? I thought the thread was titled "LS2 intake", not "FAST intake." People were bashing the ported LS2 intakes, and I chimed in with my real world experience, not some dumb **** kid who read something on the net and jumped on the bandwagon trying to look cool, bashing products that he "heard were inferior", when his 450hp heads and cam car can't even break out of the 12's. I was going low 11's with boltons back in 2002 with a stock trans and stock rear end to boot.

Yes, a ported FAST is superior to a ported LS2. I will never argue any different. But a ported LS2 is VERY close to an out-of-the-box FAST intake, and superior to a LS6 & 80mm BBK intake. The ported LS2 intake is MUCH cheaper than a FAST intake, and is a better route to go if you are trying to do a budget build. 95% of the people on this site want to go fast, but don't want to pay the money, so they are left with limited options. Would I put a ported FAST on a stock internal car? Hell no! You would not see a gain, and probably lose power, especially down low. You have to match the combo if you want every last bit of hp and e.t., without going overboard. A ported FAST should be run with a cam only or H/C car, all the way up to a bigger cube motor. Then I recommend a Vic Jr. or Super Vic with a 4500 TB. But I don't think these people are ready for that yet.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

In my research I also found this post by a reputable sponsor/shop...

"Heres the skinny...on the flow bench the LS2 dosen't "flow" any more air over an LS6 on a single runner test,but on a dyno test average gains have been 12-16 HP over an LS6 on a good heads\cam 346. The HP gain is due to a little difference in plenum design and the 90mm T\B setup. They are a 3 piece design and use the same 4-bolt flange layout as a FAST\TPIS 90mm so they will bolt right up. So I feel that they will be a good mod for the money spent."

This is straight from Allan @ Futral back on 7-9-04 when the LS2 topics were hot & everyone was tryin it out & doin testing. He wasn't alone in finding better results in the LS2 intake than people speak of.

Wonder why this is if the intake really is trash as some portray it to be??
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
MASS seller approved

Wonder why this is if the intake really is trash as some portray it to be??[/QUOTE]

because they are UNTIL ported

id buy one any day for the price over a fast 90
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Like ONEBADWS6 said, I switched from a LS6 and a Shaner ported stock TB. It made more power, picked up mph, and cut a faster e.t, in worse DA with the ported LS2 and non-ported PTM 90mm TB.
Where did I advise or say about a FAST intake in this thread? I thought the thread was titled "LS2 intake", not "FAST intake." People were bashing the ported LS2 intakes, and I chimed in with my real world experience, not some dumb **** kid who read something on the net and jumped on the bandwagon trying to look cool, bashing products that he "heard were inferior", when his 450hp heads and cam car can't even break out of the 12's. I was going low 11's with boltons back in 2002 with a stock trans and stock rear end to boot.

Yes, a ported FAST is superior to a ported LS2. I will never argue any different. But a ported LS2 is VERY close to an out-of-the-box FAST intake, and superior to a LS6 & 80mm BBK intake. The ported LS2 intake is MUCH cheaper than a FAST intake, and is a better route to go if you are trying to do a budget build. 95% of the people on this site want to go fast, but don't want to pay the money, so they are left with limited options. Would I put a ported FAST on a stock internal car? Hell no! You would not see a gain, and probably lose power, especially down low. You have to match the combo if you want every last bit of hp and e.t., without going overboard. A ported FAST should be run with a cam only or H/C car, all the way up to a bigger cube motor. Then I recommend a Vic Jr. or Super Vic with a 4500 TB. But I don't think these people are ready for that yet.
That I can buy, when you said "switched to a ported LS2" on post #29, it did not say what you switched from..

I thought you were trying to say you were getting better results from a ported LS2 than a FAST 90/92.

I (personally) would just save for a FAST either way, since we always end up going bigger and better eventually.

Quick Reply: Ls2 Intake?!?