Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak questions please help. 402 with long tobes no cats.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:04 AM
Launching!

Default Exhaust leak questions please help. 402 with long tobes no cats.

Hey Guys, I have a new 402 with hooker 1 7/8 long tubes 3" ory and 3" hooker cat back. I have a cutout right under the back pasengerside seat that faces down toward the raod. We have been all over this thing and yet can not seem to find the problem. when I am siiting at idle if i have the windo open or the heat or defrost on I get exhaust in the car, very badly it just seems to pour in. if I have the windows closed and noe heat or defrost it does not come in the car.
So What kind of things will allow the exhaust to come in on the heat side since i thought that the air recirculated when in heat? I can understand it coming in on defrost since it pulls outside air but not heat.
Also I have no cats and it smell horrible what are some good high flow inexpensive cats?
Old 02-09-2009 | 08:13 AM
Launching!

I know you guys are looking help please.
Old 02-09-2009 | 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

if you dont have cats, your car is going smell like exhaust pretty strong. If your cutout is open, you probably dont have a leak, thats just the exhaust coming out from under the car.
Old 02-09-2009 | 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by primer84z
if you dont have cats, your car is going smell like exhaust pretty strong. If your cutout is open, you probably dont have a leak, thats just the exhaust coming out from under the car.
X2, if the cutout is open you might as well get used to the smell, thats the joys of running the car with no cats. If the cutout is closed and the exaust is running through the cat-back then you can still have a strong smell. But if you dont have any kind of tune since your modifications, the car is probably running a little on the rich side.
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:23 AM
Launching!

the exhaust smell is inside car with cutout closed and tune is great. I can live with the smell outside but it is getting inside and can't have that.
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

You have a leak if its coming in when you have it on heat and not when you turn it off logically its coming in through the fresh air duct if your not sure its suppose to or not get some Lysol and turn it on the setting your getting the exhaust smell and get someone to spray you fresh air duct if you smell the Lysol then it is pulling it through the duct. start looking along the exhaust where the connections are made for black smears/soot probably around the cutout they tend to leak. Look around the header gaskets bolts tend to back out make sure its sealing there also that's just a starting point let me know if i can assist more.