Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST LSXR 102mm LS7 intake manifold dyno test results

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 10:06 AM
Launching!

What's extremely impressive about this test, as Jason says, is the area under the curve - the 15-20 ft-lb increase over the entire 3000 RPM band. This speaks of serious engineering, with attention paid not just to airflow, but to maximizing finite amplitude wave resonance tuning. You simply can't get those kind of results with a grinder and a flow bench - this takes extensive R & D.
Old 03-19-2009 | 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
Is Danny doing the Tunning?
No, Kevin is doing the calibrations.
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Jason:
Has your organization actually tested a ported LS7 intake manifold to see if it shows gains over a stock GM part? The below quoted post makes it SOUND like you have, but you didn't say so. If, out of professional courtesy, you don't want to name whose work you tested, I understand, but:
HAVE YOU OR HAVE YOU NOT TESTED A PORTED MANIFOLD,and what were the results?

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
I miss cell 2, had a lot of good memories on that dyno.
These are real numbers everyone. In fact, they are probably a bit conservative. The dyno's at Katech are calibrated to the exact same specs as the GM dyno's. If Katech hasn't seen a gain in porting the LS7 intake, it is real. Unless, like Jason said, someone would be willing to put their manifold and money where there mouth is and send up a manifold and about $800 to Katech so they can crank it up and see what it makes.

Nice gains Jason. Who is turning the ***** on the dyno these days?
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by good2go
Jason:
Has your organization actually tested a ported LS7 intake manifold to see if it shows gains over a stock GM part? The below quoted post makes it SOUND like you have, but you didn't say so. If, out of professional courtesy, you don't want to name whose work you tested, I understand, but:
HAVE YOU OR HAVE YOU NOT TESTED A PORTED MANIFOLD,and what were the results?
I have tested a ported manifold but it wasn't an A-B test. It made about 2 horsepower over what I would expect. I may be A-B testing a different one soon.
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:31 AM
Launching!

Guys,

We have had the manifold tested at Wegner Motorsports as well, I'll post the results below. We have further testing in the works and will post as it is completed. Thanks again for all the interest in the new FAST/RHS LSXR intake manifolds.

For further information, technical questions, and availability, please contact our technical support group at: 1-877-334-8355.

Brian Reese
COMP Performance Group

Last edited by horsepower; 03-20-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2009 | 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Katech
I have tested a ported manifold but it wasn't an A-B test. It made about 2 horsepower over what I would expect. I may be A-B testing a different one soon.
Thank You for your response. I'll be interested in your results. I think you already have a ported manifold belonging to a friend who would probably be interested in the A/B on the motor you are building for him.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:02 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

I can't wait for this to be tested on a seriously built LS7. Excellent gains throughout the RPM band. Nice job guys on the design of this new LS7 intake!

I'm in after further testing/results.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
I miss cell 2, had a lot of good memories on that dyno.
These are real numbers everyone. In fact, they are probably a bit conservative. The dyno's at Katech are calibrated to the exact same specs as the GM dyno's. If Katech hasn't seen a gain in porting the LS7 intake, it is real. Unless, like Jason said, someone would be willing to put their manifold and money where there mouth is and send up a manifold and about $800 to Katech so they can crank it up and see what it makes.

Nice gains Jason. Who is turning the ***** on the dyno these days?
why would you do all that just to prove some engine builder wrong?
Old 04-05-2009 | 08:34 AM
Launching!

Guys,

We had the FAST LSXR manifold (LS7 type, pn 146202) tested at SAM (Judson), I'll post the results below. Thanks Judson and SAM! They are planning an A-B track test comparison, which will be featured in GM High Tech Performance magazine. As updates or additional testing become available, i will continue with updates. Thanks again for all the interest in the new FAST/RHS LSXR intake manifolds.

For further information, technical questions, and availability, please contact our technical support group at: 1-877-334-8355.

Brian Reese
COMP Performance Group

This is Linda's 98 camaro with the 500 cubic inch engine. Cam is Comp 248/254 .646/.646. The heads are cleaned up LS7. Compression is 10.8 This is through a nine inch rear end, 400 turbo, and slicks with 27 degrees of timing. Tthe exhaust is 1 7/8 headers and 3 inch exhaust with magna flow mufflers.

...and with tuning:

Old 04-05-2009 | 10:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Katech
Yea, I know. We were skeptical at first because the LS7 intake manifold is pretty good already.

Porting the stock intake does nothing. Its all marketing.

Correct.
i know you guys are katech..... but i have personally done a dyno pull then pulled the stock ls7 manifold and put on a properly ported ls7 intake manifold on the car while it was on the dyno and seen exactly 10 rwhp, and about 8ftlbs, so its worth something to me......... so in my eyes with the proper person porting it they are worth some power
Old 04-14-2009 | 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thank You for your response. I'll be interested in your results. I think you already have a ported manifold belonging to a friend who would probably be interested in the A/B on the motor you are building for him.
Here is the ported intake vs stock intake data comparison you were asking for
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post11430092
Old 04-14-2009 | 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Oh boy, this is going to turn ugly!
Old 04-15-2009 | 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i know you guys are katech..... but i have personally done a dyno pull then pulled the stock ls7 manifold and put on a properly ported ls7 intake manifold on the car while it was on the dyno and seen exactly 10 rwhp, and about 8ftlbs, so its worth something to me......... so in my eyes with the proper person porting it they are worth some power
I also saw 11 additional rwhp, no other changes, just a ported tb and manifold. Same dyno,independent from the porter, similar conditions.

Jason: Why do you feel we got such different results? I know that when racing rules require stock pieces, some teams go through hundreds to get that one perfect piece, like finding 8 connecting rods with the same weight and length (just an example). Is is possible your manifold is one that just came out right, with very little casting flash and mismatches?

Last edited by good2go; 04-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also saw 11 additional rwhp, no other changes, just a ported tb and manifold.
Because 8 of those 11 hp came from the ported tb!
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I also saw 11 additional rwhp, no other changes, just a ported tb and manifold. Same dyno,independent from the porter, similar conditions.

Jason: Why do you feel we got such different results? I know that when racing rules require stock pieces, some teams go through hundreds to get that one perfect piece, like finding 8 connecting rods with the same weight and length (just an example). Is is possible your manifold is one that just came out right, with very little casting flash and mismatches?
1. Chassis dynos are not good tools for measuring small changes. Conditions can not be controlled as precisely as an engine dyno.

2. Like Gigapunk said, there is a few horsepower likely in the throttle body. I would guess 4-5hp.
Old 04-15-2009 | 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Katech, can you shed some light on when the L92 manifold is coming out?
Old 04-16-2009 | 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94 guy
Katech, can you shed some light on when the L92 manifold is coming out?
never
Old 04-16-2009 | 06:38 PM
Launching!

when are the 102mm for the ls7 gonna start shipping? im very interested.

Quick Reply: FAST LSXR 102mm LS7 intake manifold dyno test results