Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Setup (from muffler to tips)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Flowmaster Setup (from muffler to tips)

OK here is the deal. My friend was showing me how to do stuff under my car. He found out that I had a new pipe installed in my car between the cat and the muffler, therefore eliminating the need for a full Flowmaster kit that I was planning to get. I now will be going with these:

and two of these:

I am planning on doing the install myself. Now my question is, what pipe do I connect from muffler to the tips? Is this the tailpipe? Is it somewhere on this Summit.com page (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...ku&RC=50#rstop) Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Is there any legal aftermarket headers that I can use in California where I can still pass the emissions test?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a muffler shop should be able to fab the pipes for you. they are simple 90 degree bends. i have the same setup on my car, but its getting ripped off in a few days. and yes there are headers. edelbrock shorties. they are CARB legal.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Ok cool. So Elderbrock makes headers that I can put on and still pass emissions?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

for the love of god dont get the flowmaster, they flow like ****
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by streetassasin
for the love of god dont get the flowmaster, they flow like ****
Ok I won't get them if you pay for me a setup with one (Borla or Magnaflow). Otherwise, I like the sound, quality, and people that I seen had Flowmaster.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont mean to thread jack, but i got a set of those edelbrock shorties that are carb legal for sale. Theyre stainless, they have provisions for air and egr, and i even got the new gm gaskets that go between the collectors and the cats. Just let me know.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Spend some time researching flowmaster on this forum and you will understand why flowmasters are garbage on our cars. There are much better options out there.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
Dont mean to thread jack, but i got a set of those edelbrock shorties that are carb legal for sale. Theyre stainless, they have provisions for air and egr, and i even got the new gm gaskets that go between the collectors and the cats. Just let me know.
I'm not ready to purchase just yet, but when I do I'll see if you still have them. I will probably do it in the fall of this year. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Spend some time researching flowmaster on this forum and you will understand why flowmasters are garbage on our cars. There are much better options out there.
I did. There is mixed results. Most of it deals with the sound of them. I don't think that I have to follow "everyones" advice on what to get. If I did that then I wouldn't be me. I did research and check them out, so that is what I will get. Alternatively, I was looking into the Magnaflow 12277, but right now the Flowmaster is my first.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its just that particular muffler that doesnt flow well. Flowmasters in general do ok.

That muffler will make more noise than the stock muffler and thats about it.

You would pobably be happer with the Hooker or Magnaflow replacement muffler.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

if you are going to put a muffler on a stock engine the brand really doesnt matter. the hp loss is minimal. shorty headers will add some power but a muffler wont make that much difference. IMO flowmaster is the best muffler for a stock replacement. if this was a catback i would say otherwise. and yes the edelbrock shorties have the AIR hookups and bolt right on to the stock flanges.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
if you are going to put a muffler on a stock engine the brand really doesnt matter. the hp loss is minimal. shorty headers will add some power but a muffler wont make that much difference. IMO flowmaster is the best muffler for a stock replacement. if this was a catback i would say otherwise. and yes the edelbrock shorties have the AIR hookups and bolt right on to the stock flanges.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Do you know if Eldelbrock makes headers for V6s? I do see some on the site but only for LS1 engines.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 AM
TECH Veteran

im really not sure if anyone does to be honest
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

if ur car is a v6, leave the stock muffler on and save up for either a ls1 swap or a new car.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My sister had a flowmaster on her V6 Camaro, sounds like ****. But do what you want, i would try to find sound clips first.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
Cool. Thanks for the info. Do you know if Eldelbrock makes headers for V6s? I do see some on the site but only for LS1 engines.
Oh crap! If it's a V6 you want it as quiet as possible. I had a V6 Firebird over here one day putting a stereo system in it and it had a flowmaster muffler. Let me tell you, I was embarrassed for the kid to be honest with you. It sounded so bad that I would leave it parked before I would drive it around. Everyone that heard it made fun of it and made the "skunky beer" face.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

I wasn't going to reply after I found out it was a V6, but I have yet to hear any exhaust system on a V6 engine that sounds good. Spend the money elsewhere
Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

im with everyone else. ur stuck because you have a v6
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Ewwww 6 cylinders in an f-body
Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Launching!

I would like to ask everyone to keep on the forum topic on this message. Hitmanws6 has given me some good advice. If everyone can give advice like him, then I would appreciate it. Otherwise leave posting to the people that has some information please.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Setup (from muffler to tips)