Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo or Supercharged HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:50 PM

Default Turbo or Supercharged HELP

Hey guys,
Im currently in afghanistan thinking of what im going to do to the engine when i get back state side.
Im going buy the new ss camaro 2010 or 2011. supposedly its coming with an LS3, so why not come to a site where everyone builds on the LS engines =P.
My project HP is 700whp with no complications. Money isnt really a problem. I know its hard to determine what these cars are cabable to handle, seeing how they arn't out yet :-/... But at least i can get an idea on what the engine can take. In the end i want a boosted car. I'm not really looking for an 9 second car in all honostly. I really was thinking of going whiple or Procharger. But alot of my friends tell me i need to go turbo to produce the power i want. I want a low to mid range hp car. a 40-150mph car. i dont know what the tranny and axles can take it.. im hoping since its an SS V8.. it can take alot.
but all and all its a ls3 engine.
Also i need to know on the ls3, if the internals need to be done, pistons / rings upgraded. block etc...
I am definitely going to cam the sucker out.
i think the compression on it stock is pretty low already? so maybe a turbo? *shrugs* help a noobie out lol.
so any suggestions?
I have a S/C car now and i really like the power ranges on it.

Last edited by n0Odle; 03-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2009 | 02:53 PM

bump?
Old 03-24-2009 | 03:19 PM
Launching!

It seems to me that you can hit your goal with either power adder. Obviously a twin screw blower or something of that nature will give some insane low/mid range but in all honesty a properly set up turbo system should do pretty well also. Turbos are nice because of the outstanding efficiency. It is really a personal preference as far as I'm concerned as nowadays you can obtain unusable amounts of power with either set-up.

As for the LS3 I thought the compression was around 10.7:1 or around there if my memory isn't crapping out on me which is on the high side. If I were you I'd plan on having to get a built long block with lower compression in order to hit your 700hp goal. I'd also imagine the trans/rear end/ect. needing an upgrade as well.
Old 03-24-2009 | 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by So-GT0071
It seems to me that you can hit your goal with either power adder. Obviously a twin screw blower or something of that nature will give some insane low/mid range but in all honesty a properly set up turbo system should do pretty well also. Turbos are nice because of the outstanding efficiency. It is really a personal preference as far as I'm concerned as nowadays you can obtain unusable amounts of power with either set-up.

As for the LS3 I thought the compression was around 10.7:1 or around there if my memory isn't crapping out on me which is on the high side. If I were you I'd plan on having to get a built long block with lower compression in order to hit your 700hp goal. I'd also imagine the trans/rear end/ect. needing an upgrade as well.
graci
im going to go with the S/C
as far as the trans rear end that sucks
as far as the block if im going s/c should i still go with lower compression? because as far as the pistons if you go s/c you gotta have a higher compression and turbo is lower correct?

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharged HELP