Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost on LS7 pcv system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
<snip>As far as my motor goes, its unfortunate when someone puts money into something to have it fail. I'm glad to hear that none of your motors have let go.....yet. But man would it suck if one did, wouldn't it? I only hope for your sake that you don't have to go through my pain because Murphy would have really fucked you.<snip>
It happens to the best of us and really sucks. How's your rebuild going?

Originally Posted by Haans249
<snip>Next time you should omit yourself from a conversation if:

A. You can't tell from a posters description whats going on.
B. Give the right information and correct description
C. Not take offense when someone points out what you said is incorrect.

But, thanks for your clarification once its said and done.
Agree with Haans249, Scatillac. Your first response was misleading; no biggie though, just accept, correct, and move on.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by good2go
Thanks for the drawing, that helps. What do you think about just capping off both sides of the blue dirty side line and putting breathers on both valve covers? That way, I wouldn't be introducing any additional unmetered air into the engine, just equalizing any pressures and venting from the valve covers.
If your going to vent the crankcase to atmosphere, you will be introducing unmetered air. In this configuration, the breathers will flow in both directions. This configuration is real messy most of the time, ultimately spraying a fine mist of oil all over the engine bay.

I'll post another drawing this evening showing the correct way to configure breathers for your engine.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
It happens to the best of us and really sucks. How's your rebuild going?

Its all set and done! Got the new motor in, and its making sick power. Definitely better than before . I will hopefully be hitting the rollers sometime this week, so I'm quite excited. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

405HP_Z06 & Haans249

No offense would have been taken if the lol had been omitted.

I can accept constructive criticism, but not sarcasm, without a problem, that's how you learn (or catch your mistakes). I don't turn the other cheek well, it's something I've not been able to do since 1971.

At my age I have to proof-read everything that I post (usually multiple times) because my advancing CRS syndrome and still I miss stuff.

I have a shelf in the shop for parts from notable failures in the past (dating from 1961), it's just above where my measuring instruments are kept.

Haans, if you save any failure stuff, may your shelf be small.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scatillac
405HP_Z06 & Haans249

No offense would have been taken if the lol had been omitted.

I can accept constructive criticism, but not sarcasm, without a problem, that's how you learn (or catch your mistakes). I don't turn the other cheek well, it's something I've not been able to do since 1971.

At my age I have to proof-read everything that I post (usually multiple times) because my advancing CRS syndrome and still I miss stuff.

I have a shelf in the shop for parts from notable failures in the past (dating from 1961), it's just above where my measuring instruments are kept.

Haans, if you save any failure stuff, may your shelf be small.
This is most of the reason why I hate internet boards. One simple "lol" can be construed in so many ways, no offense was meant. I see now why you had bold your "LOL". I do commend you on coming onto the board and posting any knowledge you have, especially being of an older generation, not many venture this way.

My shelf now has one snapped rod/piston, i hope thats all it ever sees as well.

Best.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to vent the crankcase to atmosphere, you will be introducing unmetered air. In this configuration, the breathers will flow in both directions. This configuration is real messy most of the time, ultimately spraying a fine mist of oil all over the engine bay.

I'll post another drawing this evening showing the correct way to configure breathers for your engine.
I'd like to see that.
I can't see the breathers pulling in any air, there should be very little to no vacuum at the port in front of the throttle body.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Single or dual catch can configuration? If single, clean or dirty side catch can?
It's a single and how do you tell if it's a dirty or clean catch can? It has a foil filter at the top so what kind is it??
Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Is a PCV valve needed? Also is it imperative to vent both valve covers. I have older Katach covers and they are only plumbed on one side for PCV.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dsrour
Is a PCV valve needed? Also is it imperative to vent both valve covers. I have older Katach covers and they are only plumbed on one side for PCV.
Thanks
Its not imperative. All that you need to do is circulate the air out of the crankcase. Having one valve cover hooked to the throttlebody without a T will accomplish the same thing as both of them hooked up, just won't be QUITE as efficient.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I was told by a well respected builder that you can plug one valve cover completely and just use one port off the other cover. Not sure though if this is right?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

I'd like to see that.
I can't see the breathers pulling in any air, there should be very little to no vacuum at the port in front of the throttle body.
Good2Go,
Here is what I would recommend. This would be the least invasive to the car and vent the PCV. The catch can w/breather should eliminate oil spray problems. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 05-03-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramairws6
So where would the correct place be to introduce the catchcan in this diagram?
ramairws6,
Here is a single dirty side catch can configuration.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks
The LS7 has a fixed orifice PCV valve in the valley cover. An external variable orifice PCV valve isn't needed.

Agree with Haans249 on the other.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Hey Aaron: Thanks, that looks pretty good, but seeing as I have a valve cover breather and do not have a catch can with a breather what about hooking the green line from the dry sump tank to the valley cover and running the valve cover breather? Do you think this will put out too much oil mist in the engine bay? Is that why you recommend a catch can with breather?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks Aaron for the explanation of where the PCV valve equivalent is located.
How does the PCM adjust fueling for the PCV's contribution to the intake charge?
BTW great drawings, what program do you use for these?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Answered my own question on drawing- Visio. Didnt know you could do this with Visio. Cool.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Aaron: Thanks, that looks pretty good, but seeing as I have a valve cover breather and do not have a catch can with a breather what about hooking the green line from the dry sump tank to the valley cover and running the valve cover breather? Do you think this will put out too much oil mist in the engine bay? Is that why you recommend a catch can with breather?
There are many methods. What you describe should work. I prefer to move the vent as far away from the engine as possible so I can slow the PCV flow and allow for carry over oil to drop out of suspension. Locating the breather on the valve cover places the exit point at a high activity area (lots of oil splashing around in the valve cover area), naturally providing carry over oil an easy path out.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 05-03-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Aaron for the explanation of where the PCV valve equivalent is located.
How does the PCM adjust fueling for the PCV's contribution to the intake charge?
BTW great drawings, what program do you use for these?
Normally, the fresh air side of the PCV is attached after the MAF and before the throttle body. This way the PCM can adjust appropriately for the air charge. In many configurations this is too difficult and the fresh air line is plumbed before the MAF. In these instances, unmetered air is introduced by the PCV system. If this is the case, ensure the car is tuned with the PCV configured and in proper working order.

I made all of my own shapes in Visio. I was using Excel, but it looked pretty corny.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 05-03-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I was told by a well respected builder that you can plug one valve cover completely and just use one port off the other cover. Not sure though if this is right?
You can do this. There are many ways to plumb systems depending on what parts your using, amount spent, and required system efficiency.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Sorry if this has been answered, but can i simply put a breather on the driver side cover and just run a hose from the pass. side cover to the TB? Remember im running wet sump.

Quick Reply: Lost on LS7 pcv system.