Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

418 in C5...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 418 in C5...a few questions

I'm in the middle of installing a 418 in a 99 C5. I have a few questions regarding this install.

Knock sensors - I have the extension harness and see where the knock sensors go but the holes are not the correct size for the LS1 knock sensors. Do this have to be drilled/tapped for them to fit?

Cam sensor - Do i plug it into the 6" harness mounted on the front cover or do I get rid of this 6" harness on the cover and plug directly into the cam sensor itself?

RH Motor Mount - The RH motor mount that bolts to the block doesnt sit up flush against the machined mounting points. The bracket hits on a portion of the block that sits out slightly for a bolt hole near where the a/c compressor bracket mounts. Does the mount have to be modified? I dont want to grind away part of the mount in fear that it may weaken it. Anyone experience this before?

PCV system - New engine has nipple from front of valley cover whereas old engine didnt have this. I have bolted on the stock valve covers. Do I use the stock plumbing for any of this or how exactly do I route it? I dont have a catch can for this engine either. Should I need a catch can?

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Old 07-09-2009 | 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found the answers to a few of my own questions...

The knock sensor holes in the LS3 block are an M8 and need to be drilled/tapped out to a M10x1.5 to accept the LS1 knock sensors.

Still havent found the answer about the cam sensor....

The block has to be clearanced for the RH mount to fit. I chose to not clearance the mount itself because I didnt want to weaken it.

For the PCV system, I left the valley cover nipple plugged, capped off the front nipple on the front of the passenger side valve cover, and installed a breather on the oil fill neck.
Old 07-09-2009 | 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I plugged cam sensor extension into the short extension coming off the sensor.
Old 07-09-2009 | 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joshp14
I found the answers to a few of my own questions...

The knock sensor holes in the LS3 block are an M8 and need to be drilled/tapped out to a M10x1.5 to accept the LS1 knock sensors.

Still havent found the answer about the cam sensor....

The block has to be clearanced for the RH mount to fit. I chose to not clearance the mount itself because I didnt want to weaken it.

For the PCV system, I left the valley cover nipple plugged, capped off the front nipple on the front of the passenger side valve cover, and installed a breather on the oil fill neck.
The rh motor mount is slightly machined for clearance on the block. The knock sensors I just mounted to the sides of the block and haven't had an issue in 3 years. I left the stock style cam sensor wire routing and just plugged the extension harness into the 6: timing cover pigtail.
The pic is of my motor mount, that i machined.
Attached Thumbnails 418 in C5...a few questions-dsc00161a.jpg  

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 07-09-2009 at 09:53 PM.