Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise, tapping, or knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise, tapping, or knocking

ok, i posted something about "piston slap" a while ago. my engine is completly stock and i'm sure the guy before me didnt do anything to it at all. theres been this noise coming from my engine since i have had it(for over a year know) and it runs fine and all but is just making a noise and i dont want something to break and take other parts with it, just recently my dad said it might be the hydrolic lifters and that i would need them tightened. i asked a friend and he had one of our other friends look up something and said it could be the oil pump o-ring(or some o-ring or gasket, but i think it was the oil pump o-ring)and the it would get cut or torn or someting and air would get in and the lifters would tap. they went to autozone to see if they had the o-ring and then told me that they said seafoaming my car would work. i'm not sure about seafoaming, i know they did it to my frineds lt1 just to clean it out, but idk it that would help me with my problem. do any of you guys know anything about the oil pump o-ring thing or seamfoaming it. i'm thinkg of going to the autozone and asking them myself, but i'd rather have someone who has an ls1 give me some advice. i think we're gunna seafoam it regardless then try to replace the o-ring. if that doesnt work the i guess tighten the lifeters, oh and does anyone have anything to say about tighten the lifters? i wasnt sure about that either. thanks, i apprciate it a lot.

Last edited by 2000JordanTransAm; 08-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Teching In

and what i meant by the guy before me not doing anything is not taking care of good. he took it to shops to change the oil and he put gas in it. i'm thinking thats all he did, it looks like it. the engine was sooooooooooo Freaking dirty when i got, heres a link at the bttom. its the first trans am, the pewter one. its muchhhh cleaner now that i have been taking care of it.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=214690

heres a link to what the motor looks like now

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...wimg&id=236109

plz feel free to look at all my pther pictures there too.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

your probly gunna have to pull the head or heads depending on the side the noise is coming from i had a few were the plastic lifter holders are loose on the 10 mm bolt,would make a tapping sound.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise, tapping, or knocking