Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to put gauge sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to put gauge sensors ?

I'm putting an LS2 from a 06 GTO into a '57 Chevy. I want to run the same gauges I had been running when I had a sbc engine and they are the Westach brand. I need to know where the senders go. One is oil pressure, one is temp., and one is a voltmeter. They are electric as opposed to mechanical. The other is the gas gauge so there is no problem with it. I saw a small plug just above the oil filter that looks like it might work for the oil pressure sender, but not sure. I haven't seen a place to put the temp sender. I think I can find a wire to splice into for the voltmeter. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you going to run EFI?? The original PCM will be set up for its temp sensor in the drivers cylinder head at the front. The corresponding hole in the passenger side is at the back and has a plug in it. Its METRIC threads beware (10mm??). You can get metric to NPT adapters (Autometer is one place), or drill and tap the hole for 1/8" NPT. Also, you can get a coupler from a company like Autometer that installs inline in your upper rad hose and provides a place to screw a sender in there.

Oil pressure for the stock harness comes off the back of the engine (think where the distributor would go on a SBC). Your 06 PCM might actually look at it and watch it for something, I dont know, so you might want to consider leaving it functional. Its also a metric thread (12mm??). Again adapters are available. What lots of guys do is down by the oil filter like you mentioned is a small cover with 2 bolts holding it on to the pan. Some are drilled and tapped and have a sender already there, some are cast and undrilled. You can drill and tap it for 1/8" NPT and put a pressure sender there. Also, a third option is if you run a remote oil filter setup its easy to set one up. A fourth option I seen was removing the plug in the oil galley on the drivers side at the front of the block and putting a sender there. That is also metric there. Im sure it was a vendor for this site that posted that one on there site, but I cant remember which one.

Volt meter, shouldnt be too hard to hook up. Im not sure which pin to use off the alternator, it might vary based on the alternator you use. Cant help you too much on that one.

Lots of options.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Yes I am going to run EFI and I am having the harness modified to work with the different modifications. These suggestions are very helpful. Thanks
Tom

Quick Reply: where to put gauge sensors ?