Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Ok I have done some digging and cant find the info I need. I have swapped an 06 gto engine and trans into my 78 Malibu. I am just waiting for the wiring harness and it should be all set. My dilemma is I have the stock oil pressure sending unit installed and no GTO dash. I would like to see what my oil pressure is on initial startup, and when i drive the car. I do however have an autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge and an adapter from 1/8 npt to the m16 x 1.5 My question is what is the stock sending unit used for? Can I simply remove it and install my mechanical gauge? Also will I have to edit anything in hp tuners to get the car to start? Thanks for the help guys
Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Teching In

I'm in the middle of putting my GTO LS2 in my 68 camaro and just put my oil presure sending unit in last week. I'm using an autometer electric one but I'm sure this will work fine for you as well. I'm no expert but I believe the computer uses that information so I would leave the stock one alone. I don't know what oil pan your running (I’m using an AutoKraft pan) but right above the oil filter there is a metal piece with 2 bolts http://images.highperformancepontiac...to+oil_pan.jpg (that's an ls1 the only difference is those have a flat piece pointing up, while ours doesn't) I bought a aftermarket oil block off plate with a pre tapped hole in it which fit my sending unit fine. Got it off eBay for like 12 bucks, I just tried looking for you but couldn't find it. But be sure to get a plate with ONE hole. My headers got in the way so I had to put a 90 degree fitting to clear it, putting the sensor parallel with the oil filter. (actaully looks pretty cool) This is just what I did though, would have posted pics but can't find the camera.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the idea ill see if i cant find somthing to fit that area. I am running the lh8 (muscle car) oil pan. Im not sure if it has that fitting, but i will check.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think the PCM uses the oil pressure signal for anything, unless for a DOD or VVT....I think. You would probly be ok with putting the Autometer one with the adapter at the back of the engine.

I recently got my swap running, and in HP Tuners the factory sender showing 0 for oil pressure, but my old trusty mechanical one I have connected to my remote oil filter lines show 45 psi after the filter.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge