Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capability of L92 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capability of L92 heads?

I'm doing a N/A LS2 w/ L92 heads. What are these heads capable of? I'd like to get 600 Hp at the flywheel.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kmontgomery
I'm doing a N/A LS2 w/ L92 heads. What are these heads capable of? I'd like to get 600 Hp at the flywheel.
They are capable of flowing a lot of ******* air. 600 hp is easily attainable.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get 600 FWHP with old *** ported LS1 heads....I did with my 427ci.

L92's are good to get you close to 600 RWHP on a nicely matched set-up.

I'm sure if I put some ported L92 that flow in the mid 360's @ .650 I'd probably gain about 60-65 RWHP on my engine with a cam to match.

When you start using heads that flow 350 cfm and better on the LSx engine.....it starts to become the intakes that are the restrictions.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

PM "3timeracin" he did a full out NA build with the '92's, and made well over 700HP (@ 750 if I remember correctly)

I made 640 FWHP with a hydraulic roller, and a Vic Jr intake.

The limits on teh '92 are jsut a few:

Cam size. Limited to @ .720-.750" lift (no room for valve springs necessary for a bigger cam than that)

Deck thickness. It does have somewhat of a thin deck. You can still boost them of course, but jsut keep in mind that if you pick up a used set, and say they have already been decked before, and sayyou need to have them milled again to clean them up...you might be running out of deck at that point.

They stall @ .650". We flowed my heads, and they flowed the same @ .700 as they did at .650. Mine are not the only one's that I have heard teh same thing. GMPP will tell that as well.

So, as you can see, #1 and #3 go hand in hand...you can't run a big cam because of limited valve spring, but they don't flow "good" air @ those lifts anyways.

Would have to think that @ 750 FWHP is about the limit on a NA setup with teh L92 head, unless you spent ALOT of money adding material/epoxy, etc..and that is stil questionable. At that point, you might as well step into teh aftermarket.

Under boost, they flow enough to make some serious steam of course, but clamping them with a thin deck would be the only concernat that point. SO, would think that @ 1200-1300 HP under boost would be the limit (purely guessing on that one though)

But, for what they are, and how much they are, dollar for dollar, you will NOT find a better head. Again, dollar for dollar. Then of course, trying to build a all out race motor, then different story at that point as well...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats some great info GEN 414.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
PM "3timeracin" he did a full out NA build with the '92's, and made well over 700HP (@ 750 if I remember correctly)

Cam size. Limited to @ .720-.750" lift (no room for valve springs necessary for a bigger cam than that)

Deck thickness. It does have somewhat of a thin deck. You can still boost them of course, but jsut keep in mind that if you pick up a used set, and say they have already been decked before, and sayyou need to have them milled again to clean them up...you might be running out of deck at that point.

They stall @ .650". We flowed my heads, and they flowed the same @ .700 as they did at .650. Mine are not the only one's that I have heard teh same thing. GMPP will tell that as well.

So, as you can see, #1 and #3 go hand in hand...you can't run a big cam because of limited valve spring, but they don't flow "good" air @ those lifts anyways.

Would have to think that @ 750 FWHP is about the limit on a NA setup with teh L92 head, unless you spent ALOT of money adding material/epoxy, etc..and that is stil questionable. At that point, you might as well step into teh aftermarket.

Under boost, they flow enough to make some serious steam of course, but clamping them with a thin deck would be the only concernat that point. SO, would think that @ 1200-1300 HP under boost would be the limit (purely guessing on that one though)

But, for what they are, and how much they are, dollar for dollar, you will NOT find a better head. Again, dollar for dollar. Then of course, trying to build a all out race motor, then different story at that point as well...
+2. They do make great street heads. $1200 +/- cnc'd from GM..LOL. They actually make more with less. 623fw powa with the torquer 7.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen414

No ****...good post. I've been literally wanting to ask all those questions for awhile now about the L92's.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6427
No ****...good post. I've been literally wanting to ask all those questions for awhile now about the L92's.

Thanks.

Too bad the poster didnt know what they were talking about.......

I have my flow sheet for my l92's from TEA and they flow:

@.600 353.8 cfm intake 265.4 on the exhaust
@.700 370.9 cfm intake 274.7 on the exhaust

Looks like the flow increased with lift unless TEA doesnt know what they are doing(highly doubtful)

Goes to show vendors dont even know it all and that everything you read on the net should be taken with a grain of salt because most of the time people are talking out there a$$.

I was kinda surprised when my flowed heads did better than other TEA l92's but I am happy with 370cfm heads for less than $1500.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by broke1

Looks like the flow increased with lift unless TEA doesnt know what they are doing(highly doubtful)

Goes to show vendors dont even know it all and that everything you read on the net should be taken with a grain of salt because most of the time people are talking out there a$$.

I was kinda surprised when my flowed heads did better than other TEA l92's but I am happy with 370cfm heads for less than $1500.
What type of power did they make? Just because it is flowing alot of air doesn't mean that they are flowing with the same type of velocity as a head that flows 360/240 at .650 lift.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock they dont flow well past .650... ported is a whole other game... its you that doesnt know what your talking about. you really know that little about how porting works?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

better get my boots on......***** getting deep!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by broke1

He didn't say ported heads, wiseguy.

Quick Reply: Capability of L92 heads?