Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicing pounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slicing pounds

What are the pros/cons of lightening a rotating assembly? I know reduced rotational mass frees up power but what are the downsides?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure but I think with a lighten flywheel you will have a on off feel for the clutch. I had that issues with the findanza flywheel with a ls6 clutch and asp pulley. But my motor would rev faster and climb in the power band faster. But I would guess its a plus to have the lightest rotating assembly for na Im not sure on the durablity of it. Also compression has a big affect on throttle response
Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Not sure but I think with a lighten flywheel you will have a on off feel for the clutch. I had that issues with the findanza flywheel with a ls6 clutch and asp pulley. But my motor would rev faster and climb in the power band faster. But I would guess its a plus to have the lightest rotating assembly for na Im not sure on the durablity of it. Also compression has a big affect on throttle response
That's my thoughts also and I'm wondering why more people don't go for lighter parts such as TSP which use Eagle parts as opposed to say a Callies crankshaft which weighs considerably less.

Can someone explain how balancing works?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A lighter flywheel and rotating assembly can cause stalling problems because there isn't enough mass to keep the engine running at times. Other than that I personally love a lighter assembly and flywheel. The RPMs fall off really fast between shifts and the car seems to engine brake when the throttle is closed much easier than a car with a heavy flywheel.