Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-ported FAST 92mm pics. before/after..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
dyno it compared to a bone stock FAST. Too many people get ported intakes that have been ported wrong and wind up making less power than stock. Looks are one thing (which your's looks very nice cosmetically), but performance is what matters.
I know there are a ton of "ported" FAST intakes out there that dont do a back to back test. But then again if you did do the ported vs. unported and the testing and lost power, you would probably be mad at yourself.

It might just better to add "ported" FAST to your sig, but not really port it, and call it a day...

I also know that there are a lot of mismatched ports, but the FAST makes power on all of them still.

It looks nice though! You should test it out and tell us how it actually does!!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing this weekend on my fast 78.just smoothed out the runners and did the 85/85 mod. feels better and pulls harder and seems to wrap out the gears faster but im getting some major surging at idle. Im wondering if i ported too much on the opening or what but there is something up for sure but performance wise the sotp dyno says its a worthwhile mod. Anyone have any experiences with this surging at idle or vaccum leaks?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
I know there are a ton of "ported" FAST intakes out there that dont do a back to back test. But then again if you did do the ported vs. unported and the testing and lost power, you would probably be mad at yourself.

It might just better to add "ported" FAST to your sig, but not really port it, and call it a day...

I also know that there are a lot of mismatched ports, but the FAST makes power on all of them still.

It looks nice though! You should test it out and tell us how it actually does!!
I got information from many before i started my porting, and i did less then more so i would not make them worse... but i can´t say i´ll do a back to back test, for i did a lot of mods at the same time, but what i can say the car is way way... more powerful now, but i can not say if it is the porting of the fast more then the other stuff... i did....

But one thing i can say, i would not have left it alone doing the porting for there are so many that say that porting it right makes power, and have acctual gains (dyno).....
so i did , and did it my self for there are no one doing it here where i live (Iceland)

And for the head´s edges that i grinded a bit to match the FAST , it was either that or epoxy the intake´s runners, but it was easyer for my to do the ginding , i don´t know the epoxy method, so hopefully i did not damadge anything like some people claim you do "if you **** whith TFS heads"....
I´ll say it must be better flow whith no edges then whith edges at WOT, but that is just me...

All things i did where things i would have done in matter of time for they must make power "I THINK" but then again that is just me.....

Baezi

Last edited by baezi z06; 03-14-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sscamaro1384
I did the same thing this weekend on my fast 78.just smoothed out the runners and did the 85/85 mod. feels better and pulls harder and seems to wrap out the gears faster but im getting some major surging at idle. Im wondering if i ported too much on the opening or what but there is something up for sure but performance wise the sotp dyno says its a worthwhile mod. Anyone have any experiences with this surging at idle or vaccum leaks?
could not more flow make it surge at idel??? maby you need to do a little change to the tune...

or there is a vaccum leak....

good luck
Baezi

Last edited by baezi z06; 03-14-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

your port work looks just fine. i ported my first FAST myself. i didn't do "back to back" testing, but i did have before and after numbers. the car was making 393rwhp before with a LS6 intake and stock rear end. i put a Moser 9" in when i did the fast, which eats more power than a 10-bolt. Power jumped to 417rwhp. 24rwhp peak gain while adding a 9" is pretty damn good if you ask me....

Now, however, i'm only using manifolds ported by Tony Mamo. Yeah, it's pricier, but the difference in his work and everyone elses (that i've seen) is undeniable.

Good luck with your car, let us know how it turns out
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
porting on the head to match the intake can and will hurt flow numbers if you don't absolutly know what you're doing....even if you add a couple CFM, you might lose velocity. i left it alone because i was shown tests where the engines performance suffered because of simple port-matching.
This isnt the first time that I have read this and simple logic would say that if everything is matched perfectly, then the air SHOULD flow straight in at a MORE efficient rate. Simple example, running a hose with water normal, then running it with sticks on the inside sidewall of the hose... now which would run more effieciently?....

But then again, I tell myself, you have to remember that an engine is a vacuum so its always wanting to draw air in, which means that even though there are these, we'll call them "hinderances" in the way, ie, the metal walls blocking "smooth" airflow into the head, the turbulance caused COULD possibly help the engine draw more air in at a quicker rate, like plugging the end of the hose so much with ur thumb to shoot the water further and harder, we all have done this b4. Rather than it coming out slowly or only efficient at max rpm. So I get where Pat G is coming from by saying I hope your engine likes the porting because he is right, not all engine are built for max flow at max rpm and even then, everyone has a different max rpm anyways...

Whoever REALLY knows about this stuff could clarify any of this, that would be cool because I am trying to understand this is my head as well. Thanks

To the OP, nice port work BTW! Takes patience and a steady hand for sure!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000_SS

Good luck with your car, let us know how it turns out

Went at the track last week and picked up 4 miles in trap speed but on a rich tune this time 11.9-12.1 at WOT

but i was not running slicks now so i didn´t get better time, but will go again when the slicks have arrived and after i lean it out....

but raw 4mph is damn good after my winters mods on N/a motor...

Baezi

Quick Reply: Self-ported FAST 92mm pics. before/after..