Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tb porters have experience with the dbw 87mm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Any tb porters have experience with the dbw 87mm?

I've searched all over the place and found a bunch of conflicting info on porting the 87mm tb in particular. Seems a majority claim no real dyno gains and many more claim idle issues after porting. I cant see how a good port job that doesnt mess up the blade function or the blade seat area can possibly cause problems but... one never knows. So I'd appreciate to hear from anyone whos worked with these and what issues/success you had. Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

works well for the ZR1/ ls9 corvette, so i would not fool with it. IMO
Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yeah thats pretty much what I keep seeing is dont bother but asking cant hurt. Theres such a huge chunk of aluminum right in the airway path though that has me baffled as to why its there and even more importantly why porting it out wont make gains. LS1 tb's have barely any obstruction in stock trim compared to these 87mm ones.

Does anyone have a pic of the ZR1 throttle body inlet? I'd like to see if its exactly the same as the truck version with the big chunk in front of it. Thanks again
Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I ported mine and picked up 5rwhp across the board,I just removed that huge chunk of metal and matched the backside to the intake. No idle problems here.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jake 03
I ported mine and picked up 5rwhp across the board,I just removed that huge chunk of metal and matched the backside to the intake. No idle problems here.
Yeah thats exactly what i would do too. My thoughts at this point are to get the thing up and running and port it afterwards. Being a swap with sooo much going on already and considering how simple it is to pop the tb off at anytime I figure I'll get into that after Im working well. Afternoons job type of a thing or if I could find someone who does corre exchange that might be on option too.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I port them quite a bit. No issues as long as it is done right. I've heard from some custmers that idle was kind of wierd if they did not disconnect the battery or pcm fuse. Ideally you want the pcm to start up fresh with the ported TB and I always recommend it.

Gains in throttle response are always there after porting. Gains in hp and tq are only there if the engine was restricted by the TB.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

this is all true.

Quick Reply: Any tb porters have experience with the dbw 87mm?