Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default External damage

So I went to pull out the 5.3/4l60E out of a wrecked 2004 Avalanche. The truck took a wicked shot on the right front corner/tire, hard enough to push the frame back shattering the A/C pump and bracket, and also the bosses on the block. Should I be worried about this? I checked the block real well and the damage is only to the bolt bosses, pretty much just sheared them off.

The guy selling it is cool and guarantees that he's seen/heard it run and there were no issues/leaks. He even said when I get it running if anything is wrong he will refund my money!

I don't plan on using the bolt bosses that are in question
Old 03-06-2010 | 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Hit hard ?

If your not going to use the A/C mount and no leaks there, should not be a problem.

I had a ls6 block a couple years ago and ups played basketball with it. They broke the ears for the A/C mount. We did not need em for our conversion so no problem. worked fine.

Did you double check the engine mount bosses ? If it took a hit that hard, check there too !
Old 03-06-2010 | 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by davidws6
If your not going to use the A/C mount and no leaks there, should not be a problem.

I had a ls6 block a couple years ago and ups played basketball with it. They broke the ears for the A/C mount. We did not need em for our conversion so no problem. worked fine.

Did you double check the engine mount bosses ? If it took a hit that hard, check there too !
Yes I did, it broke the front 2 bolts off, but the bosses are ok. I know it will be a pain to get the busted bolts out, but I think it's worth it. I have a set of easy-outs so that should help.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-07-2010 | 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone else?
Old 03-10-2010 | 08:54 AM
Launching!

I'd run it, no question.
Old 03-10-2010 | 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing that might make it easier to get the broken bolts out is a left handed drill bit. There is a good chance they will start to come out as you drill into them.