Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Swap for 02 Z06 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Default LS2 Swap for 02 Z06 Questions

I was able to find a pretty good shape C5 02 Z06 for relatively cheap. It has a rod thrown through the block so first things first... engine swap. I have been doing the research and I think I want to go to an LS2 setup. It seems you can find them with low miles and reasonably priced. I have a few questions.

Am I going to run into any headaches or is it pretty straight forward.
Can I use my stock PCM
Can I use my stock Exhaust Manifolds
Does it use the same motor mounts and mounting location.
Does the clutch flywheel assembly mount up the same
Are there any parts of the LS6 long block I should recycle on the LS2
Are there any oil system upgrades I need to make to use the LS2
Will the LS2 oilpan clear my C5 subframe
Is there a difference between the GTO, G8, or Corvette LS2 (Performance, fittment, etc...)

If there are any stickys that could be posted to someone who has already done this it would be great!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend,
Brandon
Old 04-26-2010 | 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default ls1 > ls2

From ls1 to ls2 everything externally is the same except,

The Knock Sensors will have to be put on the outside of the block as there are no privisions in the valley cover area for them.

The Cam sensor is in the front cover, not above the starter like the ls1.

Map sensor is up front on the ls2.

Your ls1 oil pan and pick up tube should fit on a ls2.

You'll have to watch the year for the reluctor wheel, not unless you want to buy one of those conversion boxes to go from 24x to 58x.

You'll prolly have to swap your crank pulley onto the engine you get for your drive acc.

Some sponsers sell the Knock Sens., MAP sens. and also Cam sens. extensions. I used some wire, soldering Iron and shrink wrap and did it myself.
Old 04-26-2010 | 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by davidws6

The Knock Sensors will have to be put on the outside of the block as there are no privisions in the valley cover area for them.

You'll have to watch the year for the reluctor wheel, not unless you want to buy one of those conversion boxes to go from 24x to 58x.

You'll prolly have to swap your crank pulley onto the engine you get for your drive acc.

Some sponsers sell the Knock Sens., MAP sens. and also Cam sens. extensions. I used some wire, soldering Iron and shrink wrap and did it myself.
Plus, you'll have to do a little grinding on one motor mount - not a big deal.
Old 04-26-2010 | 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Grinding ?

"Plus, you'll have to do a little grinding on one motor mount - not a big deal. "

Is this something that has to be done for a Vette, as I did not have to do this on my Trans Am transplant.
Old 04-26-2010 | 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the inputs. Can I run the same PCM or do I have to get that too when shopping for the motor. Is there any difference between the gto, g8, or vette ls2.

Thanks again,
Brandon
Old 04-26-2010 | 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Pcm

Yep same pcm thats in the car. However as mentioned previously 24x or 58x is the question. But there's that option of the converter box.

Whatever inputs you need, you'll have to use inputs for that pcm/ecm = vehicle .
Old 04-27-2010 | 12:39 AM
On The Tree

I suppose my next question is... is it worth it?

Would you put another LS6 in it or would you upgrade to the LS2. If it were you're money to spend.

My worries are I bought the vette to have the whole package. Will the HUD and ALL the sensors still work on the new motor? Once I go through the worry of getting all the wiring adaptors, plugs, etc. If done right will the car be a reliable daily driver? I guess I'd really like to hear from someone who's done it and see what they're feelings are. I it worth it to go from a 405hp 5.7L to a 400hp 6.0L.

This is a big decision and I appreciate any input you can lend.

-Brandon
Old 04-27-2010 | 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like everyone says, there's no replacement for displacement !

When I went from a ls1 to a ls2 stroker 402 in my 00 TA, I was impressed. Then the jump from 402 > 454 is Awesome !

Everything should work fiine. Get a streetable cam and you can daily drive it with no problem. I can daily drive my 454 no problem. But the gas bill tends to get high if I put my foot in it too much, but it sure is
Old 04-27-2010 | 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Ls2 gtos have the 24t reluctor wheel.
Old 05-02-2010 | 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by delphigto
Ls2 gtos have the 24t reluctor wheel.
As do 2005 Corvettes. 06-up are 58x.
Old 06-18-2010 | 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Plus, you'll have to do a little grinding on one motor mount - not a big deal.
Will I need to do this or any other "grinding" modifications for a C5 install. I'm sticking with my ls6 heads, intake, and throttlebody to save those financial headaches. Plus I've seen good results with porting them on ls2's. Looks like my final build is going to be a 402ci LS2 Stroker. I'm gonna run the STS twins with a 10psi spring upgrade. Any suggestions for a reliable daily driver cam that's still gonna be pretty agressive?

Thanks again for all the help,
Brandon
Old 06-18-2010 | 11:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidws6

the only sensor that is above the starter is the crank sensor and it is in the same place for both blocks... the cam sensor is moved from the rear of the block on top of the cam on the ls6 block to the front cover on the ls2
Old 06-18-2010 | 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevydriverz28
I was able to find a pretty good shape C5 02 Z06 for relatively cheap. It has a rod thrown through the block so first things first... engine swap. I have been doing the research and I think I want to go to an LS2 setup. It seems you can find them with low miles and reasonably priced. I have a few questions.

Am I going to run into any headaches or is it pretty straight forward.
Can I use my stock PCM
Can I use my stock Exhaust Manifolds
Does it use the same motor mounts and mounting location.
Does the clutch flywheel assembly mount up the same
Are there any parts of the LS6 long block I should recycle on the LS2
Are there any oil system upgrades I need to make to use the LS2
Will the LS2 oilpan clear my C5 subframe
Is there a difference between the GTO, G8, or Corvette LS2 (Performance, fittment, etc...)

If there are any stickys that could be posted to someone who has already done this it would be great!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend,
Brandon
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Old 06-18-2010 | 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUPERMAN_00TA
Hijacking my thread eh! lol
Old 06-18-2010 | 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Was a very good buy on an ls6 longblock at SD a while ago, that might be another way to go.
Old 06-18-2010 | 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you wanted to save even more you could buy a LS1 and do a budget H/C and make a reliable 420ish-rwhp easily.
Old 06-18-2010 | 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevydriverz28
I suppose my next question is... is it worth it?

Would you put another LS6 in it or would you upgrade to the LS2. If it were you're money to spend.

My worries are I bought the vette to have the whole package. Will the HUD and ALL the sensors still work on the new motor? Once I go through the worry of getting all the wiring adaptors, plugs, etc. If done right will the car be a reliable daily driver? I guess I'd really like to hear from someone who's done it and see what they're feelings are. I it worth it to go from a 405hp 5.7L to a 400hp 6.0L.

This is a big decision and I appreciate any input you can lend.

-Brandon

How about just buying a LS3 crate motor or used motor from ebay or something? 438hp and if you put a cam in it you'll make more power. Just a thought..

Here's one I found on ebay. Complete LS3 engine intake to oil pan with computer and everthing else you will need for the install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS3-2...item3f00ad2d5d
Old 06-19-2010 | 10:53 AM
On The Tree

I do appreciate all the ideas, but i have been lucky enough to come across a very fair price for building a LS2 404 Stroker long block with a forged bottom end. It will be compatable with my LS6 top end once I build up the my current LS6 heads. I'm building all this so strong because I already have the STS twins installed for 10 psi on the car with the fuel system upgrades to support it. All in all, my ending horsepower goal is in the low to mid 600s at the wheels.

All I am really needing now is to find someone who knows what exactly I'm going to need to do to make the LS2 fit in my LS6 engine bay. I already have the wiring harness and knock sensor modifications complete and since I'm using my LS6 TB i wont need to modify that. 24x Reluctor wheel has already been verified.

What physically needs to be modified in the engine bay? I saw one person say i'll need to modify the motor mounts, but no other details from there. Please explain further as there are not many detailed writeups on the swap.

Thanks again and I do appreciate all the help.

Brandon
Old 06-19-2010 | 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

externally everything will be the same it will bolt in without issue. You stated the knock sensors are already sorted out as well as the reluctor wheel. So the only other thing is you will need a cam extension harness because the cam sensor is located on the front of the ls2. Also your accessories from the ls6 engine along with the crank pulley will need to be swapped over the map sensor should not be an issue since you are using the ls6 intake other than that the motor should be all set to go.Dan-
Old 06-19-2010 | 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just swapped 402 Ls2 into my 01 Z... You will have to clearence the block and motor mount on the passenger side.. It takes 2 minutes with an air grinder.

Everything else that has been said here... knock sensor relocation, map sensor relocation, the harness for it, tb converter harness if useing ls2 tb and thats about it.

Quick Reply: LS2 Swap for 02 Z06 Questions