Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 carb setup, wiring harness and sensor questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 carb setup, wiring harness and sensor questions!!

I have an ls3 block I want to put in my 74 camaro, and don't know whether I want to keep it or go with a big block 454. I want to keep the ls3 carb, but I have a few questions if someone could please help me out and answer them.

a) Can I use a stock wiring harness for a sbc in my camaro instead of using an ls style wiring harness?

b) Do I need to have a computer to run this setup?

C) Can I mate this motor to my 4 speed super t10 tranny?

D) Do I need to hook up the sensors?

Sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious, or if someone has asked before but I can't seem to find where it would be. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A. You can use the stock harness if you also put a distribtor in the LS3. If you use the MSD timing box instead, it will have a harness that will run the engine.
B. No
C. Yes
D. Yes and no. The cam and crank sensor will have to be connected if you use the MSD timing box, but not if you put in a distributor.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
A. You can use the stock harness if you also put a distribtor in the LS3. If you use the MSD timing box instead, it will have a harness that will run the engine.
B. No
C. Yes
D. Yes and no. The cam and crank sensor will have to be connected if you use the MSD timing box, but not if you put in a distributor.
MCSS,

Thanks for the info! This cleared a lot of stuff up. So I can run either a distributor or msd ignition box, but which do you think is better/would you prefer?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check the carb section out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueVogue17
MCSS,

Thanks for the info! This cleared a lot of stuff up. So I can run either a distributor or msd ignition box, but which do you think is better/would you prefer?
The MSD box setup is less than half the price of the distributor setup and is infinitely more tunable - IF - the box is MSD branded. If you get an Edlebrock box, it uses resistor chips to set the advance curve.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like S10 said, don't get the box that is sold by Edelbrock. That's what you get if you buy an intake/timing box kit. Get the one that is definatly MSD brand. It has a built in rev limiter and timing retard for nitrous. You can map out a timing curve to suit the engine.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Sorry its been so long since my last reply, but that has cleared some stuff up for me thanks guys. I also was wondering, what all is involved with VVT? Do I need to know anything specific while I'm building this motor in relation to VVT?

Quick Reply: Ls3 carb setup, wiring harness and sensor questions!!