Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seals Going? Risks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seals Going? Risks?

So, I think it's the rear main seal ... but correct me if I'm wrong.

Just in front of my oil pan, I am noticing more oily sludge on the exterior underside of the car. I wiped it up last oil change (2500mi or so) and am seeing more there. Not losing much oil, maybe half a quart every few months.

My question is...

Is it a whole crap-ton of work to pull everything down and replace it?

Am I risking anything by letting it remain? Until the drop or two left on the ground becomes a few drops, does it matter?

Is this a sign of more trouble to come?

It's got 160K and I run it moderately hard. I usually just baby it in the city, but on the highway I get on it. I take it to the track once in awhile.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am having the exact same problem, and mine is the rear main seal. I'd really like to fix it because I hate knowing that my car is leaking oil It does mean dropping your transmission in order to access it, which I hate more than anything.

I'm dropping about the same as you; it's been several months that I've had oil leaks and I have spots on my driveway.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1011011

Just in front of my oil pan, I am noticing more oily sludge on the exterior underside of the car. I wiped it up last oil change (2500mi or so) and am seeing more there. Not losing much oil, maybe half a quart every few months.

My question is...

Am I risking anything by letting it remain? Until the drop or two left on the ground becomes a few drops, does it matter?

It's got 160K and I run it moderately hard. I usually just baby it in the city, but on the highway I get on it. I take it to the track once in awhile.

Thoughts?
Rear main seal leaking can't get oil on the front of the oil pan. Maybe you just need to tighten all the oil pan bolts.....160K miles and maybe thats all you need to do.

I had my tranny out last month and changed my rear main seal just because it also has 160,000 miles (427ci). Sucks that it takes 3-4 minutes to change it....but you have to drop the damn tranny to get to it.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1011011

My question is...

Thoughts?
Checked the PCV system lately? If it gets plugged, the crankcase can pressure up and push oil. Wipe everything down good, remove the oil fill cap and go for a ride. Recheck the bottom end after it cools off...
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im with s10 the rubber pvc y behind the intake was rotted spilling oil everywhere
I had to used a coat hanger to unclog the lines.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seals Going? Risks?