Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual LS2 402ci exhaust size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
LS2 402, its 11.7:1, PRC stg 2.5 l92's, stock ls3 intake, PTM 92mm TB, Pat g cam, M6, moser 9" with 4.10's 28" tires. 554/510 hp/tq at the rear wheels. Your converter will probably eat quite a bit of power from you car so dont get stuck on dyno numbers. Depending on your cars weight, low 10's will be a cake walk. if you're sub 3k lbs and have a good suspension setup i'm sure it could POSSIBLE do a 9.9x in good weather.
The car is 3420lbs with me in it. I have full BMR suspension with strange single adjustable shocks.. Everything is adjustable. The only suspension peice I still need is a after market anti sway bar for the rear.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like he's just trying to make some money. I would take it somewhere else personally. Guy sounds like an asshat to me.
Maybe I will just wait until tuesday and see if TSP can change it to fit with a th350. Are you guys 100% sure that 3" nascar flat pipe has the same amount of flow as round pipe 2.5"?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
Are you guys 100% sure that 3" nascar flat pipe has the same amount of flow as round pipe 2.5"?
I am. Although, comparing flow rates for different pipe sizes requires an exponental calculation, this problem can be resolved using simple cross sectional comparison.

The maximum cross section you can have for any givien diameter pipe occurs when it is perfectly round. If you "crush" 3-inch pipe such that it is still 3 inches on two sides then it can only be 1.75 inches on the other two sides. The cross sectional area of a 3" X 1.75' rectangle is 5.25 square inches. The cross section of a round 2.5-inch pipe is 4.91 inches (only 6% less) while the cross section of a 3-inch pipe is 7.07 square inches (about 35% more that the flattened rectangle).
Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darkman
I am. Although, comparing flow rates for different pipe sizes requires an exponental calculation, this problem can be resolved using simple cross sectional comparison.

The maximum cross section you can have for any givien diameter pipe occurs when it is perfectly round. If you "crush" 3-inch pipe such that it is still 3 inches on two sides then it can only be 1.75 inches on the other two sides. The cross sectional area of a 3" X 1.75' rectangle is 5.25 square inches. The cross section of a round 2.5-inch pipe is 4.91 inches (only 6% less) while the cross section of a 3-inch pipe is 7.07 square inches (about 35% more that the flattened rectangle).
Gotcha.. I am going to call TSP on Tuesday and see if the can fab up there exhaust to work with the th350 cross member.. Here's one more thing I have to ask while I have you guys attention. With every bend of the 3" piping you lose CFM but according to the exhaust guy you don't lose CFM with that nascar style piping no matter how many bends you have.. Wouldn't end up with about the same total CFM if you deduct for CFM lose through the bends? Thanks again fella's..
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Pipe bending that reduces the cross section of pipe can serve to reduce flow capacity. Pipe bending that maintains the cross section of the pipe - mandrel bending - does not reduce the flow capacity enought to matter. It may be easier to maintain cross sectional area with flattened pipes, but as already discussed - for any given size the flattened pipes, before any bends, start out with reduced flow capacity.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Pipe bending that reduces the cross section of pipe can serve to reduce flow capacity. Pipe bending that maintains the cross section of the pipe - mandrel bending - does not reduce the flow capacity enought to matter. It may be easier to maintain cross sectional area with flattened pipes, but as already discussed - for any given size the flattened pipes, before any bends, start out with reduced flow capacity.
Agreed so if TSP can build a set to fit my car then this is the way to proceed. If not then I will have to move forward with the flat piping as this would be the best route for me. There aren't any shops around here that have a manderal bender unless anyone from New Orleans know a place.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed so if TSP can build a set to fit my car then this is the way to proceed. If not then I will have to move forward with the flat piping as this would be the best route for me. There aren't any shops around here that have a manderal bender unless anyone from New Orleans know a place.
I think Supreme Muffler in Metairie can do a mandrel bend.

There was a guy local to me and a good friend that did exhaust and he was the best. He ended up getting picked up by an exhaust company to teach how to do exhaust work. He was so good that he ended up on the show West Coast Customs and was doing a custom exhaust on a Magnum wagon. Its hard to get ahold of him now but if he was still doing it down here I would definitely send you to him.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I think Supreme Muffler in Metairie can do a mandrel bend.

There was a guy local to me and a good friend that did exhaust and he was the best. He ended up getting picked up by an exhaust company to teach how to do exhaust work. He was so good that he ended up on the show West Coast Customs and was doing a custom exhaust on a Magnum wagon. Its hard to get ahold of him now but if he was still doing it down here I would definitely send you to him.
Thanks for the info bro I will try them tuesday to see what they can do.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see why the tsp TD's wont fit a th-350. I'm looking at my exhaust setup, and just cant see why it wouldnt work. a 4l60 is a little bigger than a th-350 and it all fits there, the X section is far enough behind the crossmember that it shouldnt be close.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

I dont see why the tsp TD's wont fit a th-350. I'm looking at my exhaust setup, and just cant see why it wouldnt work. a 4l60 is a little bigger than a th-350 and it all fits there, the X section is far enough behind the crossmember that it shouldnt be close.

The worry is the X-pipe won't fit past the transmission cross member. My crossmember is different than a 4L60E. IT comes futher down and goes longer towards the rear end. That's wear the toqure arm ties into it. Here is a link of a picture of the one I have on my car.

http://www.lmperformance.com/image.asp?p=tcc018&m=2
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

this is my t-56 x-member, it is also a BMR piece, and my TD's have a crap ton of extra space between that and the x pipe, and they are both designed to fit a stock length tq arm, so like i said, it shouldnt be an issue with your th-350 swap. http://bmrsuspension.com/siteart/pro...C006_large.jpg
Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

o.k. I was wrong about the flat pipe size. It is really 3'1/2"X2'3/4" and when put into the machine to make it round turns into perfect 3"pipe..
Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Though custom exhaust will fit much better if done right, TSP TD's is more cost effective for a street car IMO.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

o.k. I was wrong about the flat pipe size. It is really 3'1/2"X2'3/4" and when put into the machine to make it round turns into perfect 3"pipe..
I am not sure I understand how this works. Specifically, a flattened pipe with two 3.5-inch sides and two 2.75-inch sides would have a circumference of about 12.5 inches. If you convert that shape into a round shape, also with a 12.5 inch circumference, it would be almost 4-inch round pipe rather than a 3-inch pipe. Perhaps, 3-inch round pipe results because the pipe machine installs a "fold" for strength or simply to use up the extra metal.

In any event, a flattened (rectangular shaped) pipe with two 3.5-inch sides and two 2.75-inch sides would have a flow capacity that is approximately equal to round 3 inch pipe.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

I am not sure I understand how this works. Specifically, a flattened pipe with two 3.5-inch sides and two 2.75-inch sides would have a circumference of about 12.5 inches. If you convert that shape into a round shape, also with a 12.5 inch circumference, it would be almost 4-inch round pipe rather than a 3-inch pipe. Perhaps, 3-inch round pipe results because the pipe machine installs a "fold" for strength or simply to use up the extra metal.

In any event, a flattened (rectangular shaped) pipe with two 3.5-inch sides and two 2.75-inch sides would have a flow capacity that is approximately equal to round 3 inch pipe.
This is correct and this is why they designed it the way they did.

Quick Reply: True dual LS2 402ci exhaust size?