Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 harness for L92?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 harness for L92?

Hi,
I picked up a L92 a few weeks ago out a 2007 Escalade but didn't get an engine wiring harness with it. I have an opportunity to get a harness from a 2008 LY6 and was wondering if it would work with my L92? I plan on running a 4L80E and the harness was from an auto trans truck with VVT. Any help would be great as I'm nearly braindead from searching for info on the L92!
Thanks
Dan
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Or a 2008 5.3L LC9?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It will work but you will have to change the pin assignments at the ECM if you run an L92 ECM.

Steer clear of the 07 ECM though get yourself an 08 or newer. The 07 e38 has..... "issues"

You might have trouble running the 4L80E as Im not certain if there was ever a 4L80E factory build that also used VVT
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
It will work but you will have to change the pin assignments at the ECM if you run an L92 ECM.

Steer clear of the 07 ECM though get yourself an 08 or newer. The 07 e38 has..... "issues"

You might have trouble running the 4L80E as Im not certain if there was ever a 4L80E factory build that also used VVT
I haven't purchased an ECM as of yet. I'm not opposed to using another trans, just want to stay away from the 6L80E because of the cost.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

These things are a bit tricky. Much different than the older LS1 stuff in terms of tuning in particular theres a LOT more limitations to what can or cant be done so you need to match parts up with care or your going to wind up in a jam. First thing I would do is see if there was ever a factory built truck with a 4L80E and an engine that runs VVT ( TO my knowledge there isnt ) Either that or figure out of 4L80E functions can be run by a 4L60E file. The new 2010 4.8L Sierras come with VVT and a 4L60E

The 6L80 is a nice piece though and might make life a lot easier on you
Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
These things are a bit tricky. Much different than the older LS1 stuff in terms of tuning in particular theres a LOT more limitations to what can or cant be done so you need to match parts up with care or your going to wind up in a jam. First thing I would do is see if there was ever a factory built truck with a 4L80E and an engine that runs VVT ( TO my knowledge there isnt ) Either that or figure out of 4L80E functions can be run by a 4L60E file. The new 2010 4.8L Sierras come with VVT and a 4L60E

The 6L80 is a nice piece though and might make life a lot easier on you
Yes I'm bringing this old thread up from the dead , just wanted to add some info in case any want to run this combo. The 2008-09 express van had a 4L80e with LY6 . If any one has torn down a 2007 L92 please let me know !
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I've got a few L92's here. Torn down many, what do you want to know?

As for swapping? Good grief theres no end to the fiddly nonsense with the genIV stuff. I have a few 6L trans here and have been struggling to find info for swaps
Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
I've got a few L92's here. Torn down many, what do you want to know?

As for swapping? Good grief theres no end to the fiddly nonsense with the genIV stuff. I have a few 6L trans here and have been struggling to find info for swaps
Specifically looking for info on the early 2007 L92 internal components .
Old 06-26-2019, 11:04 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Seen inside it all, what you want to find out?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Seen inside it all, what you want to find out?
Did you find any afm lifters . Early L92 had afm components but where not connected .
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Once I found an 07 motor with the AFM valley cover on it. I had immediate need for a good running engine and showed the yard and explained what it was and said it wasnt worth the money because I had to replace parts and he simply didnt understand so I never bought it. Whether it had the AFM lifters in there for sure or not I cant say but I would wager they were in there because the cover is filled with wavy oil routes vs the o rings that the L92 flat cover has to seal the oil feed columns. It was an 07 Escalade with the 17" fugly wheel option if that helps any
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Once I found an 07 motor with the AFM valley cover on it. I had immediate need for a good running engine and showed the yard and explained what it was and said it wasnt worth the money because I had to replace parts and he simply didnt understand so I never bought it. Whether it had the AFM lifters in there for sure or not I cant say but I would wager they were in there because the cover is filled with wavy oil routes vs the o rings that the L92 flat cover has to seal the oil feed columns. It was an 07 Escalade with the 17" fugly wheel option if that helps any
Do you happen to remember if that was a early production number. I have found a early 07 L92 for a friend. From the research I've done it appears that L92 built before April 1 2006 would have afm components. His was build 2 weeks before April and has a smooth valley cover , not the afm version that you speak of. It seems to a contradiction and not consistant
Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I cant say when it was built but it was an 07. If the valley cover is flat your good to go imo Ive opened a lot of em with the smooth cover and stock LS7 type lifters is what they have. The stock lifters are excellent quality in these I have run the damn hell out of em and no issues. I have seen some cracked OEM valve springs though, at the spring base. Pretty common actually but they keep on running so no failures but scary.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
I cant say when it was built but it was an 07. If the valley cover is flat your good to go imo Ive opened a lot of em with the smooth cover and stock LS7 type lifters is what they have. The stock lifters are excellent quality in these I have run the damn hell out of em and no issues. I have seen some cracked OEM valve springs though, at the spring base. Pretty common actually but they keep on running so no failures but scary.
Well that is good to know about the LS7 lifters . Im not sure what the connecting component was, to make the afm work in these, my first guess was the valley cover . But some had afm VC and some have Non- afm valley covers. How many L92 swaps have you done ? Have you had any problems with L92 intake valves snapping or dropping ?

Last edited by omc8; 06-26-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

If the cover is flat there is no AFM. If they installed AFM lifters under a flat cover to "test" the durability of them I have never heard nor seen it. I started with the genIV soon as they came out. I buy every 6.2 I find thats priced well. I was piling up L33's but I have since fallen out of interest for boost so I unloaded them. I dont know how many LS engines I have had now, lots. I dont think you could break an L92 valve, its the springs that fail and thats what drops the valve. Im all but certain they are made from inconel. Very tough material
Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
If the cover is flat there is no AFM. If they installed AFM lifters under a flat cover to "test" the durability of them I have never heard nor seen it. I started with the genIV soon as they came out. I buy every 6.2 I find thats priced well. I was piling up L33's but I have since fallen out of interest for boost so I unloaded them. I dont know how many LS engines I have had now, lots. I dont think you could break an L92 valve, its the springs that fail and thats what drops the valve. Im all but certain they are made from inconel. Very tough material
Ive seen reports on this site and some have had the valves snap. If i ever take the heads off mine im changing springs and valves just to be sure. Especially if its a daily driver
Old 06-27-2019, 02:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yes so have I but how does a valve snap and not release from the spring and retainers? I have seen springs installed poorly and even bought a "HotRod" project motor that only had one of two retainers installed and that engine had been run.... I have seen many bent pushrods and lots of broken springs, all OEM springs too. My first L92 had a few. This is what I have seen. Heard? Sure heard lots of rumors I cannot speak to their truth but I have literally spun the HELL out of L92 valves, put a few into pistons and munched up a few engines and have not once seen a broken L92 intake valve ( or exh for that matter ) and they are solid, as said earlier almost certain they are inconel so everything in my experience says aside from being a bit heavy? The L92 intake valves are AWESOME. Thats my experience

If anyone has pics of an L92 broken intake valve I'd like to see em. Especially if the spring, retainers, pushrod are all in fine shape. I'd also like to hear what preload was run on those engines. If you havent guessed by now Im taking my experience and putting against a few old rumors based on whos wrenching? who did what? Not to mention the logic of spring failing, valve dropping over inconel valve breaking first. Thats how I see it, i could be wrong of course but you wont hear me saying bad things about L92 valvles, or any other LS valve imo they are all AMAZING, some are lighter than others.

Ive also never once met a mechanic or shade tree home mechanic who said they were bad wrenches but I have seen allllllll sorts of bad wrenchin. Bad wrenches dont blame themselves, they blame the crappy parts
Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's kinda like which was first the chicken or the egg .......... there were reports of snapped L92 intake valves in the early days , but I lean more towards to what cam is saying which it probably more likely a spring failed , which in turn snapped the valve. I believe GM improved the spring quality on 2008 up
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Yes so have I but how does a valve snap and not release from the spring and retainers? I have seen springs installed poorly and even bought a "HotRod" project motor that only had one of two retainers installed and that engine had been run.... I have seen many bent pushrods and lots of broken springs, all OEM springs too. My first L92 had a few. This is what I have seen. Heard? Sure heard lots of rumors I cannot speak to their truth but I have literally spun the HELL out of L92 valves, put a few into pistons and munched up a few engines and have not once seen a broken L92 intake valve ( or exh for that matter ) and they are solid, as said earlier almost certain they are inconel so everything in my experience says aside from being a bit heavy? The L92 intake valves are AWESOME. Thats my experience

If anyone has pics of an L92 broken intake valve I'd like to see em. Especially if the spring, retainers, pushrod are all in fine shape. I'd also like to hear what preload was run on those engines. If you havent guessed by now Im taking my experience and putting against a few old rumors based on whos wrenching? who did what? Not to mention the logic of spring failing, valve dropping over inconel valve breaking first. Thats how I see it, i could be wrong of course but you wont hear me saying bad things about L92 valvles, or any other LS valve imo they are all AMAZING, some are lighter than others.

Ive also never once met a mechanic or shade tree home mechanic who said they were bad wrenches but I have seen allllllll sorts of bad wrenchin. Bad wrenches dont blame themselves, they blame the crappy parts
Interesting. So i guess I'll change the springs just to be safe. Thanks for letting know of your experience. You think the psi 1511ml would be good replacement? I dont really want to run double springs if i dont have to.

Quick Reply: LY6 harness for L92?