Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Bat wing" oil pan issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Bat wing" oil pan issues?

I'm in the process of building a L33/T56 Miata, and have already purchased the conversion-specific oil pan from V8Roadsters. I also have an '02 Corvette "bat wing" oil pan lying around in the shop that I'm considering trying to use instead.

Are there any known problems/deficiencies regarding the 'vette oil pan? The car is being built primarily as a daily driver/commuter....but it will also see a few track days.

The V8R pan is a fairly nice piece, but the strength of the 'vette piece has me considering using it instead....providing that I won't have any oil control issues under hard cornering.

Any thoughts??
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

When I bought my batwing pan for my 68 corvette LS swap, I was finding them all day long under $100 because the 02+ vette guys were having oil starvation issues on cornering. I'm pretty sure my stock 68 wheels and tires are not up to that cornering capability though.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 z06 that has a built ls7 in it and use it for track days a lot. If you spend some time looking at the passages in a batwing pan you will see that they will keep the sump immersed in oil no matter the direction of the g forces. If you pump all of the oil out of the pan(over aggresive oil pump, pushing too much oil to top of engine) then all pans will be insufficient. I keep a little extra oil in the engine just in case it is not draining back as fast as needed. I personally believe the batwing pan can be better than the factory dry sump setup in the c6z, because the sump runs dry on those cars under high g loads also. With the batwing the oil is always being pushed back in the opposite side of the pan that it is being pulled out of.

Last edited by ChucksZ06; 11-22-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I have an 02 z06 that has a built ls7 in it and use it for track days a lot. If you spend some time looking at the passages in a batwing pan you will see that they will keep the sump immersed in oil no matter the direction of the g forces. If you pump all of the oil out of the pan(over aggresive oil pump, pushing too much oil to top of engine) then all pans will be insufficient. I keep a little extra oil in the engine just in case it is not draining back as fast as needed. I personally believe the batwing pan can be better than the factory dry sump setup in the c6z, because the sump runs dry on those cars under high g loads also. With the batwing the oil is always being pushed back in the opposite side of the pan that it is being pulled out of.
I'm not following completely....I thought all LS7's had a dry sump? Are you running one of these pans on yours?

Quick Reply: "Bat wing" oil pan issues?