Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 FAST 102 Before Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012 | 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Idk about the rail, but you can get an ls6 intake and rail pretty cheap 350-400. And im pretty sure you can just put your ls2 injectors into the ls1/6 rail. Half the cost of a fast
Old 05-02-2012 | 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Pay attention....read 2 posts above yours.

he gained 21hp and 20ftlbs thru stock manifolds and smaller cam...WITHOUT A TUNE. no reason the OP shouldnt see the same.
I did read it, and just because someone did it doesn't mean it's the rule...

As long as the fast nets you 15HP and TQ your still at the same HP:$ ratio as longtubes that gain 25HP. Plus it doesn't add nearly as much noise.
A FAST is $800...headers can be had for $500.

How is 15hp for $800 is the same hp:$ ratio as 25hp for $500?

Even if you buy more expensive headers, 25hp for $800 is still better ratio than 15hp for $800.

Last edited by redtan; 05-02-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2012 | 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

And just because you didn't do it, doesn't make it the rule either. More people have picked up more than 6 HP like You stated than haven't.

Sorry, your not convincing anyone of anything here.
Old 05-02-2012 | 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

And just because you didn't do it, doesn't make it the rule either. More people have picked up more than 6 HP like You stated than haven't.

Sorry, your not convincing anyone of anything here.
Yeah, and how many people have picked 20+ hp on an otherwise stock engine with no headers or tune besides that one dude?

Don't think the other person gaining that much is convincing anyone either. Because the whole world of modding LS engines would be upside down as noone would EVER do headers as their first mod when a FAST intake that is 10x easier to install gains as much power.
Old 05-02-2012 | 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redtan
noone would EVER do headers as their first mod when a FAST intake that is 10x easier to install gains as much power.
But that's what we just found out. Despite evidence, you refuse to believe the data, its not our problem. An 850$ FAST 102 is better bang for buck than 1500$ on headers.

Your the one who is refusing to believe the evidence.
Old 05-02-2012 | 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Obviously 1 more person than has only gained 6hp as you state. I have yet to see any facts brought fourth that it's only good for 6hp...other than "what you seen"

Well I saw a stock 4th gen 6 banger with a fast intake duct taped to the 3.8 put john force on the trailer...that don't make it true now does it?
Old 05-02-2012 | 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

I really want the OP to do it, to see if he gets similar gains as the truck 6.0,which is very impressive. Until then this is all speculation. OP isnt buying headers period, he doesnt want it to be that loud. So I think the FAST is a good way to go regardless if hes lookin for max effort bolt ons minus headers.

Side note, got a friend who doesnt post on forums, but running a full exhaust 05 gto. Hes considering doing the 102 as well, stock tb, rails and injectors. If he does Ill be sure to post results in here.

Last edited by jrob56; 05-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

But that's what we just found out. Despite evidence, you refuse to believe the data, its not our problem. An 850$ FAST 102 is better bang for buck than 1500$ on headers.
So why are you here asking about this? Go and do your FAST102 and prove me wrong and everyone else right?

Also like others have mentioned, 1 person doing it isn't exactly "evidence".

Why is that one person swapping manifolds and gaining 20hp evidence, but my buddy doing the same swap and gaining 6 not? I posted a result I observed, someone else posted a result they observed. But mine is not "evidence" while his is...
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Why is that one person swapping manifolds and gaining 20hp evidence, but my buddy doing the same swap and gaining 6 not? I posted a result I observed, someone else posted a result they observed. But mine is not "evidence" while his is...
Your data goes against every other dyno out there. I could believe 6whp on ls3 heads or over an ls6 intake, but not on cathedral port heads over an Ls2 intake.

You value your single "my friend and I" dyno over a commonly held theory backed up with numerous dynos. What's more likely, that your dyno test was right or that all these dynos tests were wrong or that your single anomaly? It is the equivalent of denying gravity exists because you and your friend saw someone levitate at a magic show.

21 hp, 29tq HERE on an LS2 With Bolt ons.

23hp/25tq HERE with 102 TB over an ls2 Intake.

35 hp HERE with a retune over an LS6 intake on cam only ls1.

32hp and 35 ft lbs HERE with injectors on a cammed ls2.

42hp and 36 Tq from FAST with portingHERE before a tune, over stock ls2 intake on a H/C motor.

The LS2 Intake is a POS and the FAST will make lots of power on an LS2, end of story.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 05-02-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Your data goes against every other dyno out there. I could believe 6whp on ls3 heads or over an ls6 intake, but not on cathedral port heads over an Ls2 intake.

You value your single "my friend and I" dyno over a commonly held theory backed up with numerous dynos. What's more likely, that your dyno test was wrong or that all these dynos tests were wrong and yours was the only one we should listen too? It is the equivalent of denying gravity because you and your friend saw someone levitate at a magic show.
Not saying that his 6rwhp is the norm or right, but it is what it is. I also don't think that 20rwhp on a stock car with no tuning is the norm either (on a truck engine with a smaller cam no less). Yes the LS2 intake is crap, but it's not that bad that a simple $800 manifold will gain you a solid 20+rwhp with nothing else.

You have shown me results tuned on bolt on and cammed cars. Other mods, especially headers, heads and cam will make a huge difference in how a fast manifold will react. So seeing how the average of a tuned car with cam is between 25-35rwhp I don't see how you can expect a 20rwhp gain on a car with no headers, cam or heads.

Go on ls1gto and post this same question, what mod should be next and I guarantee you a majority of people will say headers.

And idk if I'd want to spend $1500 on a bunch of pipes. There are high quality headers to be had for under 1k, I got my kooks headers and cats for $775 and pick up 27rwhp throughout the curve unlike a FAST which will most likely lose power under 5k and only make more power after.
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Not saying that his 6rwhp is the norm or right, but it is what it is. I also don't think that 20rwhp on a stock car with no tuning is the norm either.

You have shown me results tuned on bolt on and cammed cars. Other mods, especially headers, heads and cam will make a huge difference in how a fast manifold will react. So seeing how the average of a tuned car with cam is between 20-30rwhp I don't see how you can expect a 20rwhp gain on a car with no headers, cam or heads.
Because SweetS10V8 did it with an even smaller cam than I have.

Besides, thats like arguing that I won't see significant gains from a cam unless I do headers first... The fact is the Ls2 is heavily restricted on both the intake and exhaust manifold.

And idk if I'd want to spend $1500 on a bunch of pipes. There are high quality headers to be had for under 1k, I got my kooks headers and cats for $775 and pick up 27rwhp throughout the curve unlike a FAST which will most likely lose power under 5k and only make more power after.
I would not install my headers without cats, without a coating, and without stainless steel. Maryland speed has those kooks you are talking about for 1495$, even uncoated and cat less they come to 1,151$. If you can get kooks with midpipes for 775$ then you should be a vendor.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 05-02-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Because SweetS10V8 did it with an even smaller cam than I have.
So if one person does this then it's all of a sudden the norm? Not saying I don't believe he did it because he obviously has proof, but it's not like from now on all stock engines will gain that same power untuned because one person did.

Besides, thats like arguing that I won't see significant gains from a cam unless I do headers first... The fact is the Ls2 is heavily restricted on both the intake and exhaust manifold.
That's true that it is, but there's a reason that for the past 15 years that the Gen III/IV has been out that 95% of the time people recommend headers as the first mod. So all these years we were all doing it wrong when a simple intake manifold is the better way to go?
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

So if one person does this then it's all of a sudden the norm? Not saying I don't believe he did it because he obviously has proof, but it's not like from now on all stock engines will gain that same power untuned.

He is the only datapoint, based on that and the other gains I would say yes its safe to assume you would get 20whp from a fast on manifolds.

That's true that it is, but there's a reason that for the past 15 years that the Gen III/IV has been out that 95% of the time people recommend headers as the first mod. So all these years we were all doing it wrong when a simple intake manifold is the better way to go?

Actually people have been swapping to LS6 intakes for a long time. Also the LS2 intake was a step backwards from the ls1 and only made for a few years.
10char
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, then I look forward to your results
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

416, FAST102,90tb, TFS 235 stock headers and xhaust, c5z cam resulted in 485/525 on avg max pull 496/530.

Headers plus cam in sig max 566/510

The fast works pretty good even without exhaust.
Old 05-05-2012 | 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

LS2 intake is junk.

I see your thought process here. But before you go crazy with things, think your entire process through. Porting the FAST will do nothing for your mild bolt on car. You are not going to see the typical gains associated with header equipped cars, because you have now only solved half of the equation. A FAST requires a retune. Headers you can go a few months without retuning. Buy cheaper headers and do it yourself if you're pinching pennies to mod. cramming air is not nearly as effective if you can't get it out.

I agree that the FAST is an awesome piece, I have one. But I completely agree with the folks that are trying to get you to see this from a little bit larger field of view.
Old 05-05-2012 | 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by geeteego
LS2 intake is junk.

I see your thought process here. But before you go crazy with things, think your entire process through. Porting the FAST will do nothing for your mild bolt on car. You are not going to see the typical gains associated with header equipped cars, because you have now only solved half of the equation. A FAST requires a retune. Headers you can go a few months without retuning. Buy cheaper headers and do it yourself if you're pinching pennies to mod. cramming air is not nearly as effective if you can't get it out.

I agree that the FAST is an awesome piece, I have one. But I completely agree with the folks that are trying to get you to see this from a little bit larger field of view.
Either way I would get a retune since its only 50$.

But I'm about to call Maryland Speed and order the FAST and some stepped Kooks so I guess we will never find out.
Old 05-05-2012 | 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Looks like you have it all figured out, then! Should do very well.
Old 05-05-2012 | 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like the $/hp metric for performance, you should do the calculations on a nitrous system. Good system with all the accessories will be in the same cost range as the FAST manifold but can get you 150 or more hp depending on how brave you are.
Old 05-06-2012 | 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

If your getting it, speed engineering has it for 807.00 w/ free shipping. Just saying...

http://speed-eng.com/store/fast-lsxr...79c92bcaa652e1

Waiting for results!

Quick Reply: LS2 FAST 102 Before Longtubes