Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.. 67 camaro w/ lsx454 swap.. Starts but dosnt stay running..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.. 67 camaro w/ lsx454 swap.. Starts but dosnt stay running..

Alright guys. I have a brand new crate motor all wired up in my 67 camaro. Brand new Gm lsx 454 motor, fast 102, nick Williams 102tb, 57lb fast injectors, psi engine wiring and 07 vette ecu, Dynatech 1 7/8 open headers, ctsv vapor worx set up. The car starts but won't stay running, fires for 2-3 seconds then dies. I thought it was my coil pack wiring but I made sure that was correct tonight. All my sensor are plugged in and brand new other wise. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump priming. The pedal is hooked up if that matters. What should I be checking next to start figuring out what is the problem? I've read a dozen threads about the vats being turned on/off. What are some things that would lead to me guessing if it's turned on? Can I check that with a scanner? Also should the check engine light be on when the key is on run? I'm going to try to get this video up any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks Steven

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...3/fc3c0353.mp4
Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the PATS (security) been disabled in the vette computer?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad67ls
Has the PATS (security) been disabled in the vette computer?
I would have to say yes. But at the moment Im trying to get a hold of a scanner to check to see if it has or not. I am also waiting on john from PSI to get back to me on this. Could it be anything else? Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Try spraying a little carb/choke cleaner in the throttle body while attempting to start. When I put my 427 in my trans am with all new fast fuel rails ect. it did the same thing till I kept it running for 20-30 seconds on the spray. For some reason it seemed like it took awhile to get all the air out of the fuel system so it would stay running on it's own. Mine has been fine since the initial start up.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a MAF sensor or are you running speed density? If you have a MAF and the calibration is way off it could cause it to die...or if you're speed density and the tune isn't setup to fail the MAF quick enough you could run into the same thing.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Teching In

air in fuel rails?
VATs enabled?
weak or low output fuel pump not holding enogh pressure
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kevin kuether
Try spraying a little carb/choke cleaner in the throttle body while attempting to start. When I put my 427 in my trans am with all new fast fuel rails ect. it did the same thing till I kept it running for 20-30 seconds on the spray. For some reason it seemed like it took awhile to get all the air out of the fuel system so it would stay running on it's own. Mine has been fine since the initial start up.
After we read the codes last night and it was comming up with cam and crank we started digging into the cam wiring first and when the harness are made they are general for the wiring for the cam. Happens to be that the singal wire to the cam was a tan and needed to be a brown. The brown wire if for non variable timing, the tan which was hooked up is for variable timing. When psi makes the harness he tucks the brown wire into that slevee. Once John told us it was there we unhooked the tan and hooked up the brown. After that the car fired up and lasted a lot longer running, but is still a little rough and the crank code is still coming up as PO315 (crank possition). There is 2 small vacumms that need to be adressed and I have to dial in the fuel pressure...then see how its acting.

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Do you have a MAF sensor or are you running speed density? If you have a MAF and the calibration is way off it could cause it to die...or if you're speed density and the tune isn't setup to fail the MAF quick enough you could run into the same thing.
Yes I have a maf. When I ordered the harness from John at PSI we went through my build and the ecu has a rough tune to get the car started, broke-in ect... He also supplied the maf if that matters.

Originally Posted by jasongantt
air in fuel rails?
VATs enabled?
weak or low output fuel pump not holding enogh pressure
I ordered a fuel pressure gauge so once thats hooked up Ill make sure the pressure is correct. I talked to John at PSI yesterday and he did confirm that the vats are turned off. When I key on you can hear the pump priming so it is working. I will be going over the fuel system/wiring with Carl from vaporworx again just to make sure its correct after I put the gauge in.

Again thats for all the suggestions guys...its getting there, just a couple more things to work out...hope to have her on the road by this summer.

Last edited by boostin05blacksti; 05-23-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's old but was it ever resolved?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

GHAAAAAAA, this is the 4th post I have crossed that hasn't been updated with the fix/problem.

Quick Reply: Help.. 67 camaro w/ lsx454 swap.. Starts but dosnt stay running..