Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetted LS2 Ignition Timing. Corvette Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Location: Previously Michigan (90's) Florida (2000's) and Currently Somerset, England.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetted LS2 Ignition Timing. Corvette Pics.

I finally have my LS2 running in my resto mod Corvette. It has a Speed Demon carb on an Edelbrock manifold with stock exhaust manifolds. I feel that the engine has no life, and it backfires when I accelerate. I have not dealt with timing these engines before, so I am just running the basic curve in the MSD box. I also cannot get a consistent idle. It reminds me of my old engines, where you would turn the distributor to get the ignition advance in the right place, but there is no distributor. I am going to have a look at the other curve chips in the MSD box and maybe experiment a little.

Any advice would be appreciated. Pics of the car at the link below.

http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...20June%202012/

http://www.facebook.com/trevor.jordan.5872?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the MSD chips have too much timing for these motors. Check your advance curve. I was working on my sons old school 85 truck and we had the intial timing and advance set too high. The MSD soft ware will allow you to set your own curves.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Most of the MSD chips have too much timing for these motors. Check your advance curve. I was working on my sons old school 85 truck and we had the intial timing and advance set too high. The MSD soft ware will allow you to set your own curves.
Absolutely correct, lost a road race motor due to this. Get the box tuned before you melt it down.

Quick Reply: Carburetted LS2 Ignition Timing. Corvette Pics.