Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightest fitting header--help, please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightest fitting header--help, please?

I've read "header" threads here and elsewhere, looking at header sites, pix, etc all over the Web until I'm blue (hi-temp blue, I'm sure) in the face! I even nagged Sanderson to actually measure their products and correct faulty measurement data on their Web-site, as I've searched.

So, my question... what IS the 1 5/8 primary-tube header (center-dump & SS preferred) with the least protrusion at the head (where they typically do a 90-degree down-turn)?

I appreciate any help or leads. This is one of my final Stude Avanti swap issues. Thanks, in advance!!!

Last edited by Avanti; 04-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Try some of the flyin miata headers. They're edelbrock 1 5/8s cut and rewelded for extra clearance, made to fit in the tightest of bays (miata)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks!!! Since we quit racing and got rid of my wife's MegaMonster Miata I've lost track of the hypo Miata world.

I'm on my way there!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's a direct link. They're MFR'd by sanderson. There are a few primary size choices

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sand...eader-Set.html
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks again, DC!

But, as I noted initially, I went to Sanderson and found that the measurements on their Website were wrong (at that time). They listed ALL primary sizes as protruding "2.5-inches" from the head and even I know different tube sizes typically have a different machine-bending radius. When I contacted Sanderson tech-support the guy readily admitted the figures were wrong but he didn't know what they really were. He gave no indication of having any interest in following-up with the correct data since he "worked" some miles away from the shop.

So, I asked him for a shop contact, who proved to be unreachable, btw. I contacted "my" tech person for what was now the 5th or 6th time and he finally got the correct info and said it had just been changed on their site.

Bottom-line... for anything over 1.5" primaries Sanderson's don't seem to project from the head any less than a number of other brands despite their marketing claims.

So, instead it looks like I'll buy a set of stainless of a brand yet to be determined and have my fab-man cut them up as necessary and remake them--much as it seems Flying Miata does. I was hoping to minimize my fab-man's work. Thanks, again.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at Speedway Motors? They have a number of LS headers.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks again for the additional suggestions! I truly appreciate it.

What I did was take a couple Web-pix I found for the cast-iron Holley/Hooker headers and enlarged and enhanced them so I could almost read the included side-view measurements (obviously, never intended for human consumption ) so that my wife felt she could read them accurately. The other pic was of the engine from the rear with the E-Rod header and the H/Hs super-imposed over each other.

Given the info gleaned from both pix and the set of E-Rod headers that came with my engine I could figure out (hoping the pix are accurate for the current product) how the H/H's would fit my application... and ordered a set. I hope to have them this week and find out if I was correct.

Btw, though I got a message from Holley tech-support a week ago that they would be sending me "measurements by separate email," it has been three weeks since my initial inquiry and I've yet to get any useful info from them... maybe it will come tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Just a bit of final follow-up on this post/inquiry... the Holley/Hooker cast-irons arrived and work fine! I'm very pleased. Also, I never did get any further info from Holley tech-support, as they stated they would provide in their one email response to my several inquiries.

All the best.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was great to talk with you this morning. Do you have pictures of the Hooker cast iron manifolds in place? I'd love to see them

Pat
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Hey, I haven't been here for a while; busy tucking all the "stuff" into the engine compartment. Yes, I have pix and will post some when I get the chance. Yes, I appreciate talking with you, too. I did get other calls after the TW article came out. Art U. did too, but not positive ones--which I had warned him about, in advance--"purists." All is well, though.

I just stuck the T-5 back in last night (well, my wife did most the work, hehehe) and was surprised to see that despite moving the LS forward a bit and up a little, all still clears fine.

More later.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Stu Cool: here are a couple quick pix of them on the mock-up engine.
Attached Thumbnails Tightest fitting header--help, please?-rtsidehooker.jpg   Tightest fitting header--help, please?-lft-side-hooker_3425-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like those, I bet they would have worked for me. I'm happy with what I ended up with though.

Pat

Quick Reply: Tightest fitting header--help, please?