Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump clearance blues.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump clearance blues.....

Hey fellas, I will be installing my 5.3 carbed motor in my model a this weekend. What do I need to do as far as the water pump and alternator brackets are concerned? I don't have alot of clearance and as now my upper water neck on my radiator is 1/4 in frm hitting the tensioner on the water pump. I've read to install a camaro or corvette pump and crank pulley, but will I need to change alternator bracket as well? And when I do this where will I hook up my temp sensor for water temp? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The corvette pump is about 1 1/2" shorter than the truck accessories. However, the outlet foces forward instead of up, so that might cause more problems. Yes you will need a new balancer, and other accessory brackets to match the spacing.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
The corvette pump is about 1 1/2" shorter than the truck accessories. However, the outlet foces forward instead of up, so that might cause more problems. Yes you will need a new balancer, and other accessory brackets to match the spacing.
Okay, thanks. I will not be running power steering, is there somewhere to purchase an alternator bracket only? Or do I need to buy the combo and not use the power steering side? Also, my MSD/edelbrock box that fires the coil packs reads temp through a plug, will that plug be present on the corvette pump?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Kwik and Holley make an alternator bracket that is spaced for the vette. However, it's similarly shaped to the vette which puts it far off to the side of the drivers side head. Not sure if that will fit.
There are some other aftermarket brackets available fro S&P and a few others that might fit too. You'll have to search.
The water temp senders typically mount in front drivers, or rear passengeer head.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

You can run the water pump, balencer, alternator bracket off a camaro. The power steering bracket is seperate from the alternator bracket on the camaro. Check the swap forum, you might find some that needs the truck stuff, and might trade.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

oh, and holy ****! an LS in a model a! We have got to see pics! that gotta be the ultimate ford ls swap!!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1low29
Okay, thanks. I will not be running power steering, is there somewhere to purchase an alternator bracket only? Or do I need to buy the combo and not use the power steering side? Also, my MSD/edelbrock box that fires the coil packs reads temp through a plug, will that plug be present on the corvette pump?
Why would that ignition box be reading engine temperature? Mine doesn't

Quick Reply: Waterpump clearance blues.....