Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reluctor wheel bolts backed out?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reluctor wheel bolts backed out?!?

my buddies ls2 motor started to throw a timing sensor code. we pulled the cam sensor to find the end had made slight contact with the reluctor wheel. we shimmed the new sensor. two days later (on the track) the car died. after getting it back to the shop, he pulled the front cover to find all the reluctor wheel bolts had backed out. (also noticed the main crank pulley bolt was loose.) metal shavings and granade pieces everywhere. motor is toast.

any thoughts as to how this happened? what would cause the reluctor wheel bolts to back out?

internally stock ls2 engine.

i have the same ls2 motor in my track rat....as in road race. what should i tear apart and replace as preventative? what should be inspected?

thanks, Jason
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jason89i
my buddies ls2 motor started to throw a timing sensor code. we pulled the cam sensor to find the end had made slight contact with the reluctor wheel. we shimmed the new sensor. two days later (on the track) the car died. after getting it back to the shop, he pulled the front cover to find all the reluctor wheel bolts had backed out. (also noticed the main crank pulley bolt was loose.) metal shavings and granade pieces everywhere. motor is toast.

any thoughts as to how this happened? what would cause the reluctor wheel bolts to back out?

i have the same ls2 motor in my track rat....as in road race. what should i tear apart and replace as preventative? what should be inspected?

thanks, Jason
Internally stock...meaning it's never been into? No cam change? Cause it sounds like improper bolt torque and/or lack of Locktite on the threads.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the reluctor wheel was pressed on? and dosnt have any bolts on it
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jason89i

thanks, Jason
Reluctor is in the back dude??
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
I thought the reluctor wheel was pressed on? and dosnt have any bolts on it
Pretty much.......
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

He is talking about the cam sprocket, not the reluctor wheel on the crank. I've seen this happen before. This is why any cam I do ARP cam bolts with red Loctite and double check the torque.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having a bad balancer can shake them out. Even a underdrive in some situations can cause this.

I red locktite and use the comp cams locking plate along with 26ftlb.

Tim
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Technically, the Gen IV cam gear is a reluctor, just a different style than the crank wheel...
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Teching In

no cam. motor had never been cracked open to our knowledge. just underpulley, headers, tune.

sorry for the confusion.
cam gear, just behind the front cover.

bolts backed out, causing cam gear (with reluctor type timing ridges) to hit the position sensor. ultimately all 3 bolts backed out, bounced around the motor. cam bear spun causing contact on multiple valves.

i have the same (24k mile) ls2 motor. again, underdrive pulley, light flywheel, headers and tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Technically, the Gen IV cam gear is a reluctor, just a different style than the crank wheel...
Your wrong! Its for Timing, a reluctor is on the crank period!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allan808
Your wrong! Its for Timing, a reluctor is on the crank period!
Ya know? I hate to call anybody an IDIOT, but a reluctor is anything that interrupts a magnetic field to generate a pulse. Doesn't matter if it's on a crank, distributor, cam gear, rear view mirror, or a monkey's *** cheek.

Quick Reply: reluctor wheel bolts backed out?!?