Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low budget 500hp lq4

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low budget 500hp lq4

Ok so after learning that my duramax needs injectors I'm not going to be able to afford to turbo my lq4. So now I'm trying to get as much power as I can out of it on a much smaller budget. I'm wanting as close to 500 rwhp as I can get. I'm planning on running the 799 heads I have now but really can't afford to spend a grand having them ported ( any cheap places to have them mildly ported?) I was also thinking about having them milled down to bump up my compression as much as I can. I also still have to buy pistons so that could always Help with my compression. My main question is about what intake to run. I can't afford a fast right now unless I come across a real good deal on a used set up. So what I wana know is should I just go with an ls6 intake or go with a professional products typhoon intake off ebay? It seems like they can be had for roughly the same price. I also am looking for cam recommendations. The motor is going into my lifted 95 k1500 truck. So I know I'm wanting a decent amount of TQ in lower rpms to get it going. But I also want as much high end hp as possible. Its not my daily more of a weekend fun truck so how well it drives isnt that much of a concern for me. As a side note wit will be getting a stalled 4l80e to back it. And last but not least is anywhere near 500rwhp even possible with a set up somthing like this?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

When I got home I did some reading and it seems like the profesinal products intake has lots of issues with it so I think I'm going to stick with the ls6 intake. Anyone have any can recommendations for me or an idea of how much power this might out down if I mill the heads some and get flst top pistons?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this just the block you are building? Or are you replacing the pistons out of an already working LQ4?

Reason I say that is because if you already have the working engine it might be better off to save money on not replacing the pistons and put that towards a better top end like a good set of ported heads. Will get more power than replacing the pistons.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck. With your project.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I'm about to do the same thing after choosing n/a instead of a turbo after I ran the numbers on a turbo build... I'm kind of aiming for the same hp goal but with a set of worked 243 heads, LS6 or Fast intake, cam ??, supporting mods etc... I got a 02 6.0 with a spun bearing and gonna do a 408 though. reason I answered is I feel you on the Dmax injectors... I recently picked up a 02 GMC and luckily the previous owner replaced them along with the injection pump to the tune of 4k.! Running great for the last 6k miles and now it needs the fuel pressure regulator. still loving it though!!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
Is this just the block you are building? Or are you replacing the pistons out of an already working LQ4?

Reason I say that is because if you already have the working engine it might be better off to save money on not replacing the pistons and put that towards a better top end like a good set of ported heads. Will get more power than replacing the pistons.
building from block, i found a deal on ls3 heads, i have them now and an l92 truck intake along with a 92mm throttle body.

Originally Posted by 19wagon63
Good luck. With your project.
thanks!

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
I'm about to do the same thing after choosing n/a instead of a turbo after I ran the numbers on a turbo build... I'm kind of aiming for the same hp goal but with a set of worked 243 heads, LS6 or Fast intake, cam ??, supporting mods etc... I got a 02 6.0 with a spun bearing and gonna do a 408 though. reason I answered is I feel you on the Dmax injectors... I recently picked up a 02 GMC and luckily the previous owner replaced them along with the injection pump to the tune of 4k.! Running great for the last 6k miles and now it needs the fuel pressure regulator. still loving it though!!
you gotta love a dmax other then lb7 injector issues i love them!

anyways with the new ls3 l92 top end, flat top pistons, and milling the heads down .020 im having pat g spec me a cam right now. anybody got imput on if 500 rwhp is possible? considering a 100 shot also...
Old 11-30-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should of bought a cummins lol duramax are notorious for stuck injectors. You can do 500 rwhp with a ridiculous cam and your heads but it won't really be a DD anymore. Easiest way to get to 500 is n20 I wouldn't do it but it is the fastest way

Quick Reply: low budget 500hp lq4