Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side effects of removing the LS3 intake foam pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Side effects of removing the LS3 intake foam pads?

I bought this new product but the way it installs requires removal of the factory foam pads. What side effects might I incur by removing the pads?

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/ls3-instan...e-performance/
Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I was hoping to put this on at the same time as the ported manifold, but I guess I'm just doing the manifold this weekend and if I don't like what I hear back from the vendor then I'll return it. I don't want the underside of my intake getting littered with all kinds of crap, and from what I see I've read the bottom has to be spotlessly cleaned for this shield to adhere to the plastic, which means every remnant of that foam would need to be removed. That seems like a real PITA unless there is something which could be sprayed on it to dissolve the residual foam without damaging the manifold.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Skipped the shield, but I'm pissed for another reason now. I used the intake manifold torque settings from a sponsor's site:

http://peakspeedshop.com/removal.xhtml

Which said to use 44in/lbs 1st pass 89 in/lbs 2nd pass. I'm not saying they're wrong, but something went wrong. I bought the only in-lb torque wrench I could find locally from Harbor Freight (made by Pittsburgh), set it to 44 in/lbs and it never clicked before I snapped the first bolt. I hand tightened the remainder and used all new gaskets, hope that doesn't cause an issue. Waiting for the RTV to harden around the LS1 MAP sensor before I take it for a spin.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw that torque wrench in the garbage. I had the same thing happen to me with an oil pan bolt using that P.O.S.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I returned the torque wrench this morning. I douched the induction system with carb cleaner this morning and found no leaks. Car is running leaner at idle according to the AFX, time to re-tune VE & MAF.

Quick Reply: Side effects of removing the LS3 intake foam pads?