Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G8 Maximizer headers/catback installed with GXP mufflers. Review, pics, sound clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G8 Maximizer headers/catback installed with GXP mufflers. Review, pics, sound clip

So there's always a heated debate between headers for some reason. Not sure why people fight over these so much. I chose to go with one of the more attacked header brands: Maximizer (I hear they are OBX just in a new brand name, so really OBX is the attacked brand) to help squash some bad myths for these things.

Got the Maximizer 1&7/8" stainless longtube header with 3" x-pipe catback kit from ebay for $700 + $95 shipping. Rumor has it, they are rebranded OBX or something, but cannot confirm. I received them in about 6 days, and the packaging was very well done. It came with header gaskets, and axleback gaskets, but I bought new gaskets and new header bolts for both from GM because the supplied gaskets looked very cheap. It came with 8 spring bolts for the ball flanges. It did NOT include nuts for the axlebacks. The stock piping has internal threads for the axleback bolts, but the Maximizer pipes do not thread, so you will have to find some nuts to fit the stock bolts for the axlebacks.

I was very impressed with the quality. The welds, flanges, and bends were all smooth. Even the merge collector was smooth.

The install went SUPER easy, and I had it done in under 4 hours start to finish. I did not have to remove the spark plugs, but I did have to temporarily disconnect the steering shaft to fit the driver side header in. The passenger side slid smoothly in. There were no sharp edges at all. Everything bolted up smoothly. The measurements and dimensions all fit perfectly. Bottom line, it was a direct, perfect fit. The hardest part of this entire install, was removing my stock O2 sensors.

The resonators after the headers are actually real resonators, they are not just a hollow pipe. When you look inside, the inner walls have holes for baffling, but I couldn't tell what was in it. I plan to remove them and have some 3" Thunderbolt 300cell cats installed, and take some "muffler-delete" axlebacks that I have and install Hooker MaxFlow mufflers that I have here, and I will update this when I get those installed.

It looks like a large lip hit, but it's just the curve of the tube.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

On the left here, there was a little metal flake hanging off the O2 bung you can see, but it easily came off by tapping it with a screwdriver. No obstruction.

I thought the header being so close to the frame here would be a problem, but it was not. I have not heard any clanking, or sounds from it. It fit just fine.

TECH Junkie

TECH Junkie

And last but certainly not least, the sound clip. This is on a SuperChips 91 Octane Rotofab tune. I will have it dynotuned next week.

I'm pleased with the sound of the GXP mufflers. It is nice and calm cruising, and very tame inside the car. There is zero drone, rattle, or unnecessary noise. I am still installing Hooker MaxFlows soon though.

Quick Reply: G8 Maximizer headers/catback installed with GXP mufflers. Review, pics, sound clip