Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron/aluminum block external casting differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron/aluminum block external casting differences?

Hey everybody...

New to the LS engine as I am in the midst of converting my 300zx TT to an Ls1.

I purchased a swap kit from LOJ Innovations, which is a high quality kit by the way, but it was designed for an iron block.

The problem I am having is that the engine sets about an inch and a half higher than it should, so the PS pump pulley is hitting the hood. The guy who built the swap kit said it was possible that the mounts were cut wrong, and that he will make it right if that is the case. But in the mean time, I am trying to figure out if it is just an external casting difference between the aluminum/iron blocks.

Does anyone know if the motor mount position is different from the LS1 aluminum block to say and lq9 Iron block motor? Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, and yes, I did search, and found no answers.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

They are identical aside from weight. The iron blocks don't have some the bolt holes needed to run non truck accessories; however these can be drilled/tapped.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Only difference I've seen was the location of the brass block plugs.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, block mounting holes are identical. Do you have pictures of the mounts? Is there any possibility they are on upside down? How many holes does each mount use to secure itself to the block.

Quick Reply: Iron/aluminum block external casting differences?