Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help code po420/p0430

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help code po420/p0430

please help i live in nj and failed car inspection because of these codes, i passed everything else. I erased the codes with an autel and they keep coming up just a few miles later, does that indicate that its definitely the cats converters?

is there any way to pass inspection without having to get the cats, ive read about removing rear o2s, reprogramming pcm, etc, but im not too smart about all this stuff.

any helpful advice will be appreciated, thanks

Its for a 2002 ls1 if that helps
Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe this is what you might be looking for..ahem..for off-road use only of course.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1599

I'm lucky to live in a state where the emissions requirements are pretty much a) doesn't kill occupants; b) doesn't kill pets or small animals outside of 10 feet from vehicle; c) sounds cool -- so I have not used these. Hopefully some others that live in more particular states can offer some past experience with these.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Thanks but i guess i should have mentioned that the cats probably are messed up, my muffler actually fell off while driving a few months back, i guess i should 1st buy some o2s clear the code and see what happens, i defintely appreciate the reply though, thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well..with those items I mentioned you could hollow out said cats and nobody could tell from the outside. Those devices tell your computer that the rear O2s are giving a good reading..and the rear O2s are only there to confirm the cats are working; they do nothing to affect how the engine runs. I believe the forward O2s are for that. But if you want to spend the money and do it "right" in the eyes of your local emissions laws go for it. I'll breathe better but can't say I'd do the same.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 PM

Thanks Mercier i appreciate the help but ive been doing research and i have a few options
1. get o2 sims
2. replace all o2 sensors, drive around, see if that clears the codes
3. get new cats and new o2 sensors
4. get a very basic tune for around $150, the most important thing being to ensure that the code po420/430 nvr pop up again

is there any diff between rear o2 sims and just getting normal rear bosch o2 sensors?

im not going to mod the car in the future the tune is only to ensure that the codes dont pop up for inspection and i dont wanna pay several hundred for new cats, i could replace all 4 o2 sensors for around 250$ but i risk the codes still appearing and having to get new cats, thanks for the help in advance
Old 09-26-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

I replied to OP by PM but to close this thread out:

O2 sim recommendation was for the AFT(rear) sensors behind the cats. Cheap. This only reads the effectiveness of the cats. Hollow out the cats. Free. Clear codes. Rear O2 codes shouldn't come back if sims are working and the car should appear stock externally. Should pass inspection if there is no "sniff" test.

Of course these mods are for off-road use only.

Quick Reply: Please help code po420/p0430