Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Um, what is this?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Um, what is this?

I've looked all over to identify these parts on my LS376/525 GMPP crate motor. I tried online parts diagrams, searching here and the rest of the interwebs, but I'm just not finding out what the circled red parts are for.

The small module on the left has an open port as well as an electrical plug.
The GMPP LS3 harness does not have a connector for it, and I have no idea where to plumb the open port. These are not for the PVC system from what I can tell. For that I just need to plumb the tube from PS rocker cover to the intake after the MAP. The valley cover output is already plumbed to the intake(I'll be adding a catch can later as well...).

Based just on common sense I can't figure out what is pulling or pushing air into the intake past the throttle body(the right circle) and essentially dead-ending at the module. My plan right now is to remove the plug on the right and cap the intake/throttle body, and remove the whole thing. Not sure if that's a good idea or not though.

This has to just be stupid user syndrome, but can someone please tell me what this is...

Thanks!

-TJ
Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's emissions. Not 100%, but most likely how the stock computer controls the burning of the charcoal canister fumes. It needs to make sure it's only opened when there is good vacuum in the intake and not the rest of the time.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
It's emissions. Not 100%, but most likely how the stock computer controls the burning of the charcoal canister fumes. It needs to make sure it's only opened when there is good vacuum in the intake and not the rest of the time.
Ah yes, that kinda makes sense, something like a purge control solenoid. The GenI smallblock I put in a Jeep had something similar. Since there is no connector in the GMPP harness it should never open which means I should be able to remove it and plug the intake manifold I'm guessing.

Anyone disagree?

-TJ
Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Does it not say in the instructions to remove this if you are not using it in an emissions car? I thought for sure mine said to trash it...or I did anyhow.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Does it not say in the instructions to remove this if you are not using it in an emissions car? I thought for sure mine said to trash it...or I did anyhow.
The install sheet didn't say anything but I'm definitely going to remove it at this point. If the ECU harness doesn't have a connection and can't open the valve, no use in having it.

Nice car btw, my LS3 is going into a Factory Five Racing MKIV Roadster(Cobra). Should have first start once I get a radiator and go-carting soon afterwards.

-TJ
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Possibly PCV valve related?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Oops, I forgot to mention that I did figure out what it is. It's the charcoal canister purge valve/solenoid. Only useful on an emissions car with the canister which gets fumes from the gas tank via a vent line.

Doesn't pertain to me so it's gone....

-TJ
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was pretty sure, but had only ever installed them with the E3 spark plugs, in the trash.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepurz
The install sheet didn't say anything but I'm definitely going to remove it at this point. If the ECU harness doesn't have a connection and can't open the valve, no use in having it.

Nice car btw, my LS3 is going into a Factory Five Racing MKIV Roadster(Cobra). Should have first start once I get a radiator and go-carting soon afterwards.

-TJ
Are you in the USA? If so, don't say LS and Cobra in the same sentence! LOL You will have every Cobra guy in the tri-state area calling you a butcher or some other name for ruining that supposed Ford product!

Good luck on your build! These are great engines and with a small cam change and rocker upgrade, you can easily add another 50 horsepower or so at a later date if you decide to do so.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Are you in the USA? If so, don't say LS and Cobra in the same sentence! LOL You will have every Cobra guy in the tri-state area calling you a butcher or some other name for ruining that supposed Ford product!

Good luck on your build! These are great engines and with a small cam change and rocker upgrade, you can easily add another 50 horsepower or so at a later date if you decide to do so.
Yeah, I won't win many converts in the states who say "DAMN that LS looks great in a Cobra...". I'm building the car for me though, and personally just not a fan of Ford motors. The Coyote is decent, but at that point it's not even true to the SBF single cam motors of yesteryear. And little known fact, Carroll Shelby went to GM first to get motors but they didn't want a competitor to the Corvette so they told him no. Ford said "sure" and the rest is history.

As for more horsepower, 525hp stock(hoping for 560 with long tube headers and tune) is already going to be too much for a 2100 lb car I'm afraid. There won't be enough weight and tire to keep solid contact with the ground.

Should be fun though!

-TJ
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, its the EVAP purge solenoid. I removed mine and capped off the ports on my Procharged Silverado SS and tuned it out. No issues. If you want to do it the "right" way you're technically supposed to run it to vent the fuel tank and avoid fumes in the cabin area but you can add a vent to atmosphere back by the tank in the form of a roll over vent valve and be good to go as well.

Search this Thread