Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Flow Test:LS3 vs Rick Crawford Radius Rod LS3 vs Ported LS3 FAST LSXR

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 679 Likes on 554 Posts

Intake shown is now for sale 😂 Carb style FTW 🤫
Old 10-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So one guy who did this 15 years ago is gospel but guys trying out in the last 2-3 years and showing little to no gains is old news?

that dyno peaks at 6500 and then power production falls off a cliff. I don’t think you’ll get one to 7k even with further cut runners.

My opinion: stick with the rod-mod if you don’t want a FAST102 and open up the rod mod to 102mm if you’re feeling frisky. Don’t cut the runners back. Not worth the time or effort involved when you can buy a hi ram and there are other options to get around clearance issues.

wanted to edit this to say he gains 3-5 hp over a rod mod manifold. Not worth the effort involved in my mind.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 474 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS
So one guy who did this 15 years ago is gospel but guys trying out in the last 2-3 years and showing little to no gains is old news?

that dyno peaks at 6500 and then power production falls off a cliff. I don’t think you’ll get one to 7k even with further cut runners.

My opinion: stick with the rod-mod if you don’t want a FAST102 and open up the rod mod to 102mm if you’re feeling frisky. Don’t cut the runners back. Not worth the time or effort involved when you can buy a hi ram and there are other options to get around clearance issues.

wanted to edit this to say he gains 3-5 hp over a rod mod manifold. Not worth the effort involved in my mind.
You're misreading the charts I think. The dyno graph is a stock manifold. The chart is the modified intake. Modified it peaked at 7000 rpm and made nearly the same power at 6500. The stock intake is the one that fell off a cliff.

Here are the ideal rod-mod intake results from the guys trying to sell you a rod mod intake. Looks like it is down 15hp from peak at 7000 rpm. I have one of the GPI intakes with just the rods and no porting and it has worked great for me and is obviously more easily replicated than cut back and epoxied runners.

I'm trying to buy that short-runner modified one from the guy on YB actually...I have an intake sitting in my garage that I was going to cut up but I have better things to do. I need to put a 105mm tb on my intake and I don't want to hack up my good rod-mod intake.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spanks13
You're misreading the charts I think. The dyno graph is a stock manifold. The chart is the modified intake. Modified it peaked at 7000 rpm and made nearly the same power at 6500. The stock intake is the one that fell off a cliff.

Here are the ideal rod-mod intake results from the guys trying to sell you a rod mod intake. Looks like it is down 15hp from peak at 7000 rpm. I have one of the GPI intakes with just the rods and no porting and it has worked great for me and is obviously more easily replicated than cut back and epoxied runners.

I'm trying to buy that short-runner modified one from the guy on YB actually...I have an intake sitting in my garage that I was going to cut up but I have better things to do. I need to put a 105mm tb on my intake and I don't want to hack up my good rod-mod intake.
oh you’re right I did read those incorrectly lol whoops

I still think it’s too much effort to go through for such little gains over an already proven strategy. If you want more open it up to 102mm or buy a FAST102.

if the stock intake is all that fits then go hog wild. Not my time or money involved
Old 10-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 679 Likes on 554 Posts

Suicidal thoughts was he could do it himself and learn while doing so...... Vs a aftermarket otb intake and save some coin. Carb intake was Always going back on his build. He's had a CID amoung others, think he's going with the Holley split carb intake this time around.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

oh you’re right I did read those incorrectly lol whoops

I still think it’s too much effort to go through for such little gains over an already proven strategy. If you want more open it up to 102mm or buy a FAST102.

if the stock intake is all that fits then go hog wild. Not my time or money involved
FAST is too expensive for the results imo. Better off with the 200$ brand new ls3 intake and pay your favorite porter and still have a better intake plus it fits better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnnystock:
G Atsma (10-06-2020), LaBLKv6Z (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
FAST is too expensive for the results imo. Better off with the 200$ brand new ls3 intake and pay your favorite porter and still have a better intake plus it fits better.
different strokes for different folks. I’ve had a rod mod and then had it opened to 102mm inlet. Then I scored a brand new fast102 for the same as I’ve spent on my rod mod manifold. I know that won’t be the case for everyone...

after having both I’ll take the Fast all day. The power output between the two is very similar, if not identical. Check the GPI test for results. Fast did slightly better at peak hp but the rod mod was slightly better at peak tq. Averages were basically identical.

Not trying to **** in anyone’s cereal. Both work well, but after handling the Fast and seeing it’s quality I am a fan

unfortunately over time I think my rod mod manifold lost its sealing ability because I noticed oil was seeping out of the back where the rods came through and the holes up front to secure the rods got widened a bit as well. To me it seems like something that will be difficult to make last unless it’s done extremely well
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

different strokes for different folks. I’ve had a rod mod and then had it opened to 102mm inlet. Then I scored a brand new fast102 for the same as I’ve spent on my rod mod manifold. I know that won’t be the case for everyone...

after having both I’ll take the Fast all day. The power output between the two is very similar, if not identical. Check the GPI test for results. Fast did slightly better at peak hp but the rod mod was slightly better at peak tq. Averages were basically identical.

Not trying to **** in anyone’s cereal. Both work well, but after handling the Fast and seeing it’s quality I am a fan

unfortunately over time I think my rod mod manifold lost its sealing ability because I noticed oil was seeping out of the back where the rods came through and the holes up front to secure the rods got widened a bit as well. To me it seems like something that will be difficult to make last unless it’s done extremely well
Nice feed back from your experience. Who did the modifications to your LS3 intake and how long was it on the car? I ask because some don't drill into the rear of the intake but melt.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Flow Test:LS3 vs Rick Crawford Radius Rod LS3 vs Ported LS3 FAST LSXR