Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMG Sputter At Startup - Cold Only

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LMG Sputter At Startup - Cold Only

Not sure where exactly to put this thread, so I'll start here and see if it gets moved. I have an LMG 5.3 with 123k miles on it that recently started giving me trouble at startup when cold. It'll fire and start, but immediately after it initially fires itll act like like it quit firing and is going to stall. Then it slowly just figures itself out and idles normal. Once it's warmed up, it'll start just normal. Anyone ever come across this before? It's got me scratching my head and I cant seem to find any similar threads.

Another way to describe would be that when starting warm, the RPMs jump up to maybe 2000 and then drop to idle. When it's cold (50F or below outside) and it fires for the first time itll peak at about 1000rpm and then sort of just pause and then stay there. Maybe I'll take a video and post it up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Injectors might be sticking until they warm up a bit. Run some cleaner thru the system; Maybe throw a bottle of Techron into the tank and see if it does some good. Can't hurt!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be a stuck lifter because low oil temp which in turn doesn't allow DOD lifter to operate until oil thins out after building engine temp.

Quick Reply: LMG Sputter At Startup - Cold Only