Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness difference between LY6 and LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness difference between LY6 and LS3?

Hey guys,

I will be replacing the current LY6 engine I have swapped into my Cutlass with a LS3 engine. What I am wondering and hoping to get some help with is the harness differences between the truck harness I used and the LS3 harness.

I assume there will be a difference with the cam sensor since the LS3 is not a VVT engine and I also heard something about the MAP sensor as well. I was hoping someone could confirm this point me in the right direction as to what may be the easiest way to go about making this work. Are there any harness adapters for this or possibly have GM part numbers for the connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Calvin

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

If the MAP sensor plug is different?......You will need some tuning to run the LS3 MAP sensor.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...rese1-_-holley Sales for about as much as a pigtail.

This will fit the Camshaft Sensor Jumper Harness.....Remember Gen IV's are wired backward from Gen III's.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...1-_-ict-billet
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
If the MAP sensor plug is different?......You will need some tuning to run the LS3 MAP sensor.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...rese1-_-holley Sales for about as much as a pigtail.

This will fit the Camshaft Sensor Jumper Harness.....Remember Gen IV's are wired backward from Gen III's.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...1-_-ict-billet
Thanks for the reply Clinebarger

The LY6 engine and harness I have is a Gen IV engine. I will be changing the tune to a LS3 tune instead of the LY6 tune that I currently have.

From what I can tell the Camshaft Position Sensor connectors for both engines are ACDELCO Part# PT2785 so I'm assuming that connector wont be an issue which I am a bit surprised about, maybe someone can confirm this for me in case I am incorrect. The MAP sensors are different along with the connections so my plan is to purchase a new connector pigtail and wire that in to my harness. As far as I can tell all the other connections seem the same but was hoping someone else may be able to confirm this.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

My LS3 timing cover came with a 3-pin CMP sensor plug, The original L92/VVT cover took the 5-pin PT2785.

Harness difference between LY6 and LS3?-6monjov.jpg
Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Teching In

My LS3 timing cover came with a 3-pin CMP sensor plug, The original L92/VVT cover took the 5-pin PT2785.

O kk so I'm assuming I will have to buy that connection as well. The 5 pin is probably for the L99 I'm assuming.

Do you happen to know if those 3 wires are pins 44 (A), 66 (B), and 64 (C) from the ECM? If so I gather pins 16 and 52 are the extra wires that wouldn't be used for the 3 pin connector.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ccrane0044
O kk so I'm assuming I will have to buy that connection as well. The 5 pin is probably for the L99 I'm assuming.

Do you happen to know if those 3 wires are pins 44 (A), 66 (B), and 64 (C) from the ECM? If so I gather pins 16 and 52 are the extra wires that wouldn't be used for the 3 pin connector.
That is correct for a E38 ECM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:21 PM
Teching In

That is correct for a E38 ECM.
Awesome, thanks clinebarger!

Do you happen to know of any other sensor differences or would it just be those two?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ccrane0044
Awesome, thanks clinebarger!

Do you happen to know of any other sensor differences or would it just be those two?
Not that I can think of, Of coarse you probably know that "truck" harnesses don't fit "car" intakes very well as far as aesthetics is concerned?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help Clinebarger!

For future reference if anyone else wants to do a similar swap. The CAM sensor, the MAP sensor and the Oil Pressure sensors are different between the harnesses.

Quick Reply: Harness difference between LY6 and LS3?