Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giant LS3 Intake Manifold Dyno Shootout!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When power is falling off, torque already falling off, often considerably.....what exactly would be the point in revving it far higher ?

There's only a couple that are still hanging on at 7k so even then still not much point in taking them higher as they've already peaked.
The one that hangs on better after peak and is shifted higher will win.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

When power is falling off, torque already falling off, often considerably.....what exactly would be the point in revving it far higher ?

There's only a couple that are still hanging on at 7k so even then still not much point in taking them higher as they've already peaked.
As i have already said if you're camming it and not extending your rpm range then you're doin it wrong.

Some of them have pretty substantial gains at 7k......and I'm not talking about stopping there. They shoulda ran that test to 7500 and used a cam that would run to that with shift point at 7800ish. That would've been a good intake test. You would've likely seen 100hp difference in the ls3 intake vs the others then.....maybe more.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
As i have already said if you're camming it and not extending your rpm range then you're doin it wrong.

Some of them have pretty substantial gains at 7k......and I'm not talking about stopping there. They shoulda ran that test to 7500 and used a cam that would run to that with shift point at 7800ish. That would've been a good intake test. You would've likely seen 100hp difference in the ls3 intake vs the others then.....maybe more.
Yeah I don’t get it either. Anything over 6500 is some kinda taboo around here
The following users liked this post:
AINT SKEERED (12-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

But only if you're revving high enough to drop where it is making more power....and lets face it, on most of them none of them were excelling in that respect.

The only one you might want to rev harder on that combo is the HiRam.

The stroker engine is harder to tell, as both the ProFlo and Carbon intake seemed to work well up top.

But with torque taking a huge dive....is there really any point taking it to 8k to shift ?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

I'm sure they could do hundreds of variations too....if someone is prepared to pay for the test and supply engines etc.

It's certainly a better test than any intake manufacturers have ever offered !!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
What percentage of LS operators have strokers? NOT many. So running the tests on stock displacement was far more applicable to the majority of users. What it told me was, as said above, the LS3 manifold would serve well for a majority of users.
I would argue that people with built motors are the primary customers of aftermarket intakes and this article missed the boat by a good margin. As seen, the stock ls3 intake is a bad **** up to 6000 rpm with a stock stroke. I'm just tired of reading LS3 articles since 2007 that say "this component isn't really suited for our mild cammed ls3, but here are the results"

The article did say they reved the thing out once and tagged some intake valves...so they were wise to keep the revs where they were at for most of the test.

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I keep going back to on older test Tony did on the LS7 MSD vs the stock LS7 intake, and it made more torque all RPM's. the entire curve was higher. So, I tend to think longer strokes can use the shorter runners better vs shorter strokes. And since the LS7 is a 4" factory stroke, that data has relevance to a decent sized group. ANyone know the stock LS3 runner length? Stock LS7 intake runner length is only 6.875" long on the short side radius.

This test in a way shows that. When you look at the 415CI test results, the torque curves match up better shorter runner vs stock. That could be a function of the intake OR it could be a function of the longer stroke, OR it could be the combination. Problem with confounding data is it's harder to draw conclusions. ****, overlay the 425 and LS3 results on the LS3 intake, and the HP peal is lower by 200-300 RPM.
I wish they had at least told us the cam specs for the stroker. Ideally the camshaft would have been the same between the stroker and the crate motor. Hard to compare anything when the cams are different. I suspect the stroker cam is quite a bit larger, even when accounting for displacement.

Runner length on the FAST 102 is 8", 6.25" and 3.5". I don't know factory runner length. Volume is 680cc, 460cc, and 300cc. What's interesting there is that the "cc per inch" is 85, 76, and 85. A victor Jr. has an average runner length of about 6.25" as well.

It is definitely interesting to think about. The 4" stroke will put more demand on the intake with ~10% higher piston speed, but the runner tuning is dependent only on RPM and the timing of the pressure wave in the intake tract. If the short runner intakes are designed around a 6000+ rpm harmonic, that tuning point won't change with stroke.

I think the main contributing factor when thinking about long vs short stroke is that a longer stroke engine will more quickly reach the point where outright maximum flow is the most important factor in cylinder fill. The shorter and straighter intake runners will be better for performance as they're less restrictive and the air column has less intertia. At lower engine speeds the short runners will not offer any harmonic tuning, risk pushing the intake charge back out the intake valve after BDC, and won't have the velocity needed for good cylinder fill. All this is seen as a loss of torque in the midrange.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Yeah I don’t get it either. Anything over 6500 is some kinda taboo around here
Most seem to want to know if the stage 4 cam will still be driveable in a parking lot because it sounds so much cooler than the stage 2...
The following users liked this post:
AINT SKEERED (12-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Good post spank. Intake harmonics are intriguing. I'm very surprised there are no variable length runners out there.

Yea most of those stage blah cams are poop and only good for sound. When your cammed ls3 only makes 460whp and 430wtq you did it wrong.....because a ls3 is capable of 470whp/470wtq. I see way to many stage blah cam swaps with **** results.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by spanks13
I would argue that people with built motors are the primary customers of aftermarket intakes and this article missed the boat by a good margin.
True, but the article was ALSO about proving how good the OEM LS3 manifold is. There are MANY who run mildly cammed LS3's, who might be wondering if it's worth upgrading the intake manifold alone. This article proved it is not necessary, though no harm would be done if one chooses to do so.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
True, but the article was ALSO about proving how good the OEM LS3 manifold is. There are MANY who run mildly cammed LS3's, who might be wondering if it's worth upgrading the intake manifold alone. This article proved it is not necessary, though no harm would be done if one chooses to do so.
The stock manifold is very well matched to the Stock heads. It does restrict ported or aftermarket heads. However most people don’t even utilize what they have because they don’t rev over 6500
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

If you’re just running the hip new shelf Cam, a BobbyDean stage 4 CAI, 22” torque thrust 2’s and a hypertech I doubt a manifold upgrade is going to help you
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

If you’re just running the hip new shelf Cam, a BobbyDean stage 4 CAI, 22” torque thrust 2’s and a hypertech I doubt a manifold upgrade is going to help you
LOL Right!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Although it basically shows the same thing as the cathedral test.....

below 6k, there's little out there to outperform a stock intake, value for money. The aftermarkets are a little better than LS6 etc, but still not huge.

With the LS3 it's even less pronounced
Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

The stock manifold is very well matched to the Stock heads. It does restrict ported or aftermarket heads. However most people don’t even utilize what they have because they don’t rev over 6500
And again, that's because most dyno graphs have already peaked before 6500rpm anyway

Have you graphs to show where the LS3 intake is restricting an engine vs other intakes on the engines you describe ?

Does the crossover point differ ?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

And again, that's because most dyno graphs have already peaked before 6500rpm anyway

Have you graphs to show where the LS3 intake is restricting an engine vs other intakes on the engines you describe ?

Does the crossover point differ ?
If you’re peaking before 6500 your engine is built bad and you should feel bad. Stock ls3 intake flows the same as Stock ls3 heads. So if you put that intake on better flowing heads then guess what it’s a restriction. Also the runners are tuned for 6000-6500 so once you start revving to 7000-7500 like you should be then it’s even more of a restriction again. A Stock ls3 intake on my ls3 would probably drop me 50-60 hp
Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

I bet it would drop you more.

A ls3 intake is good for a ls3 cam run in the oe operating range. That's about it. Once you start camming it and dealing with reversion it's tq production goes to **** pretty fast.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Imo it has to do with power past peak. You can gear reduce to gain torque but if you can carry it longer in the lower gear before uoshifting, you lose way less tq on the upshift. Shifting at 6500 you lose a ton. Autos may be different because the stall can smear the gears a bit but manual needs that past peak power
Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 AM
9 Second Club

If you’re peaking before 6500 your engine is built bad and you should feel bad. Stock ls3 intake flows the same as Stock ls3 heads. So if you put that intake on better flowing heads then guess what it’s a restriction. Also the runners are tuned for 6000-6500 so once you start revving to 7000-7500 like you should be then it’s even more of a restriction again. A Stock ls3 intake on my ls3 would probably drop me 50-60 hp

Yet almost every graph there aside from those "bigger" intakes they're peaking a little before 6500 in that test.

And torque has already nose dived long before.

So lets see these graphs of yours and your intake excelling all the way to 7500 ? Maybe if you could prove it to people more would try ?
What cam etc ?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet almost every graph there aside from those "bigger" intakes they're peaking a little before 6500 in that test.

So lets see these graphs of yours and your intake excelling all the way to 7500 ? Maybe if you could prove it to people more would try ?
What cam etc ?
Torque always noses over before hp peak, that's how it works. Torque will be falling but if rpm is climbing and horsepower doesn't take a drastic dive it'll still be faster shifting higher. Only the tow truck intakes give up hard after 6600. Several of the intakes in this test appear like they would excel with a 7500+ shift point even with the baby cam and stock heads, but we can't tell how far because the test was ended early, that's the point people are trying to make. A set of valvesprings and another 500+ rpm would have offered much more valuable data.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

What cam etc ?
Then that should tell you that almost erryone of those intakes are a restriction of some sort after 6500.

This goes on to what i said before. The ls3 intake is a great match to the ls3 cam. It seems to fight larger cams and is not efficient with them.