Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV/Catch Can routing for LS3/L92 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
Ok, an update, with another setback.

I installed this:

Behind the driver's fender, on the frame, and ran a 3/8" hose from each valve cover directly to the ports on that air/oil separator to allow the crankcase to breathe. The valve covers are still stock from a 2008 Escalade at this point.

Nipples on the C5 air duct and LS3 intake manifold were capped off to eliminate any change of oil being ingested into the intake during high vacuum situation (high revs, decel, throttle shut).

I ran the car up to 6500rpm in 3rd gear and let off, and am still getting clouds of smoke out the back as oil is consumed. Since the intake tracts are capped there isn't any way for oil to get sucked in, so I'm somewhat stumped on how oil is entering the combustion chamber.

Valve seals are brand new, bottom end (original rings, etc) has about 80,000 miles on it. Thoughts?
This is looking like more of a ring issue to me and I'm willing to bet that you have some cylinders with oil fouled spark plugs!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Friday night I took the car out with a couple buddies on the back roads and flogged it for a couple hours. Many WOT pulls, lots of high rev no load decel, lots of blue smoke. Never any smoke on WOT, only during the decel from high revs.

Changed out the plugs Saturday morning:

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

They don't look like they have any oil fouling to me, but then again I had a long drive home without any high rev decel which could have "burned them clean". Although, you'd figure they'd have all sorts of residue along the base.

Also worth mentioning is that I drained the air/oil separator immediately after the Friday night beatdown; to my surprise 2 cups of clear water (condensation) came out. No oil whatsoever.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Plugs look good so hopefully it will start to clear up after some good heat cycles.