Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will it take to make 450rwhp.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28tek
This thread has a smell to it...a smell of some bullsh!t.
Wait you mean you don't believe you can make an extra 160whp from bolt ons?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
I wouldn't say its impossible its definitely not the norm that's for sure but some people just put in more attention to detail than others.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Patron
Sounds like someone who would & should know. If your going into a fight knowing a few things your facing it helps. As with other things this thread maybe useful in the future. 550 @ the crank minimum is Hardly asking much from a 6.2 with correct parts. Just because you have the ability to make more Hp with a 6.2 vs a 5.0 doesn't means it will be faster. The entier car must be looked at.......Hp and dynos don't win races just tools to help a person with a properly set up car win. Weight and gearing are the 2 most easiest factors to do and most times overlooked for the idea of more Hp, which isn't bad in itself.
i just about understood that patron. Nice job.....lol

i tease

Originally Posted by Z28tek
This thread has a smell to it...a smell of some bullsh!t.
How so?

who's doin that?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Problem Hio. My thing is I can remember when I 1st got into the Ls engine I was @ around 550 with a 383 stroker and Ported E-tech heads for a Gen 1 sbc Hyd roller. I came over just because of the heads. Now if a Ls3 with a cam can make a Honest 550 to 580 with just a cam swap. No comment. Heck a stock Ls3 vette made 518rwhp with a cam, ported heads/milled a bit and a six spd. Come on now guys. 243's with a better intake and cam and you have the same basic engine size of a 6.2 . Just read this and think of 243's ported with a good intake & TB. It would be roughly about the same the 243's may make more tq lower. Even a stock intake is used.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/090...er-heads-swap/
Old 08-21-2018, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I used to smoke bolt on coyotes with my bolt on ls1
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big hammer
Well ya and I'm sure your car looks like Swiss cheese on the inside as well. A (for example) 2011 mustang has the power to weight advantage over an fbody stock for stock. Add in bolt ons, converter and gear and the coyote has a clear advantage power vs weight when compared to a fbody with bolt ons. Either the coyote owner couldn't drive, had no traction and/or like I said, your driving around in a piece of Swiss with wheels.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well ya and I'm sure your car looks like Swiss cheese on the inside as well. A (for example) 2011 mustang has the power to weight advantage over an fbody stock for stock. Add in bolt ons, converter and gear and the coyote has a clear advantage power vs weight when compared to a fbody with bolt ons. Either the coyote owner couldn't drive, had no traction and/or like I said, your driving around in a piece of Swiss with wheels.
People lie about weight reduction and hacking up their car all the time.

Sam Strano who builds and races cars for a living only ended up at 3300lbs.....Quoting his car,
"After two solid days with the guys up @ UMI, we are done. Car has new K-member and upper and lower arms installed. And with 1/3rd tank of fuel, a fire extinguisher, a harness bar, and not my lightest wheels it rang in @ 3301 on their scales. I'll rescale it to corner weigh it and align it sometime in the next few weeks.......
"There is no secret. Light battery, no rear seat or seat belts, A/C is out, radio is out. A/C will go back in at some point, screw that. And it was light on fuel. No massive rear axle, light wheels, a compact big brake kit, not overkill, etc."

So 3300lbs with a tubular front suspension and K member, no A/C or stereo or rear seats etc. etc. People who run hero times lie about their mods, lie about their weight, or what they did to get to 3200lbs or less, or do stuff that 95% of the rest of the community doesn't consider bolton. A supercharger is technically a bolt on, and doesn't require removing of the oil pan to install a crank scraper LMAO. Is that fair game now too? Don't even bother with going back and forth about it. To each their own and they can do or claim whatever they want.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider

Sam Strano who builds and races cars for a living only ended up at 3300lbs.....Quoting his car,
"After two solid days with the guys up @ UMI, we are done. Car has new K-member and upper and lower arms installed. And with 1/3rd tank of fuel, a fire extinguisher, a harness bar, and not my lightest wheels it rang in @ 3301 on their scales. I'll rescale it to corner weigh it and align it sometime in the next few weeks.......
"There is no secret. Light battery, no rear seat or seat belts, A/C is out, radio is out. A/C will go back in at some point, screw that. And it was light on fuel. No massive rear axle, light wheels, a compact big brake kit, not overkill, etc."

So 3300lbs with a tubular front suspension and K member, no A/C or stereo or rear seats etc. etc. People who run hero times lie about their mods, lie about their weight, or what they did to get to 3200lbs or less, or do stuff that 95% of the rest of the community doesn't consider bolton. A supercharger is technically a bolt on, and doesn't require removing of the oil pan to install a crank scraper LMAO. Is that fair game now too? Don't even bother with going back and forth about it. To each their own and they can do or claim whatever they want.
Exactly
Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Below is EXACTLY how to do it.

yea....it's not even that difficult.

or maybe you just don't know how. It's ok...that's what the forum is for.

Originally Posted by ddnspider

it's easy to get these cars to 32xxlb or less and keep your radio, ac, rear seats. Just have to pay attention to what your doing.

light battery/light clutch/jack-spare! is 100lb out. Now my carcwas 3430 stock. So those alone put it at 3330. Just doing the simple egr!/air pump!/ full exhaust should net about another 50 give or take.....that puts one at 3250ish. For guys that want drag paks on their car that can push them into the 31xx range....still having the stock k, stock bumper supports and full amenities.

now do a k member, lighten yours or buy lighter bumper supports, front sway! for the drag guys. Look for all the little gizmo **** that don't matter. Add a lighter hood that takes 20lb off the nose where you don't want it anyway. Now you have a 3100ish car maybe less. Pretty simple.....and still have all your amenities.

no reason to argue. It all adds up.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 599 Likes on 413 Posts

My guy Hio shooting shots about weight loss
Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Regarding weight reduction, it seems simple but it's easy forget to remove clutter and stay vigilant about keeping it gone from inside the car before racing. Things, like water bottles, notebooks, books, jumper cables, that spare 1/2 quart of oil, tool box, first aid kit, junk in the glove box, junk in the console between the seats and the half dozen CD's scattered about. The inside clutter can end up being 10-25 pounds or more sometimes.

Oh that reminds me I need to get that box with 5 cast iron skillets out of the Z28
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Regarding weight reduction, it seems simple but it's easy forget to remove clutter and stay vigilant about keeping it gone from inside the car before racing. Things, like water bottles, notebooks, books, jumper cables, that spare 1/2 quart of oil, tool box, first aid kit, junk in the glove box, junk in the console between the seats and the half dozen CD's scattered about. The inside clutter can end up being 10-25 pounds or more sometimes.

Oh that reminds me I need to get that box with 5 cast iron skillets out of the Z28
UNLESS they were in the extreme right rear corner for ballast...
Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's why i leave the jack/spare in mine. ....that creates a little butt hurt for the funz also

And still come in at about 3250 with me in it....and my ac....and my cruise....and all muh seats. Only thing it's lacking is airbags cause i didn't want those tearing up my car and spitting shrapnel in muh face.

there is weight all over these cars. Errytime i work on mine the goal is to remove a little weight from something.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

no I just learned how to do it properly
Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

no I just learned how to do it properly
I know your BSing because every time you guys say that you neglect to state what it is your doing. Not to mention you can't make 460 whp with bolt ons and a few accessories upgrades or deletes.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I know your BSing because every time you guys say that you neglect to state what it is your doing. Not to mention you can't make 460 whp with bolt ons and a few accessories upgrades or deletes.
not with an ls1 no but an ls6 can

Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yea the addition of e85 alone woulda probably put me at 460whp with a bolt on ls6.

1.9 rockers, vacuum pump and some rocket fuel woulda probably nailed down another 20whp.....what was Dspeck saying about not saying......i missed that.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Bolt-on ls1 can hurt a lot of feelings
Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Actually it's Gary, but no problem! lol
There you go getting all technical..... I gave you an alias and you opted out LOL
Old 08-22-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
There you go getting all technical..... I gave you an alias and you opted out LOL
Hey go easy! I can't even spell incogneeeeto…. lol