Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running/heard of CID intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone Running/heard of CID intakes?

I've been looking around and have been on the fence between settling for a ls3 super vic, or spending the coin for a used mast. I'll be running a 4500 accufab and clearance isn't an issue. In my search I came across CID intakes who seem to claim that they're as-cast ls7 outperformed both a heavily ported super vic as well as the mast single plane. Their ls3 seems to be an almost identical intake to the ls7, with just some small port height changes for alignment with the differing head ports. I've looked around but information seems very limited, and the few things I found that were promising lead to Martin who has seemingly fallen off the map. Has anyone had experience running one of these intakes? While they do seems promising, I don't want to drop a grand for intake/rails and have be a waste when I could snag a super Vic for $400 cheaper and shave another 2" of overall height. Engine is a big cam n/a 408 in front of a 4000 stall, that will be spun to a touch under 8000. I have the mid-engine height for carb-style intakes but no room near the back for a highram or proflow.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Yes we've heard of CID

I think the owner of CID was with Katech in the golden era of C5r racing and has an excellent background in racing.

One of the local race shops mentioned seeing a dyno test where the CID intake destroyed the Mast intake by ~60+ horse power. Their comment was if you race and can fit the CID run it. While I didn't see the dyno graph that was mentioned, I think CID intake is the real deal as mentioned in BES video.
The following users liked this post:
Stang2Goat (09-19-2023)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Yes we've heard of CID

I think the owner of CID was with Katech in the golden era of C5r racing and has an excellent background in racing.

One of the local race shops mentioned seeing a dyno test where the CID intake destroyed the Mast intake by ~60+ horse power. Their comment was if you race and can fit the CID run it. While I didn't see the dyno graph that was mentioned, I think CID intake is the real deal as mentioned in BES video.
Yea I figured many had probably heard of them lol, I'm more concerned with finding people that have personally run them. I have seen where people have seen gains in the upper rpms as well as actually pulled better hp and tq numbers in the 3500-5500 range. This will be going in a car that sees a lot of street duty, so I'm trying to see if it's a complete dog in the lower range, but running a 4000 convertor it shouldn't be too much of an issue. As long as it's comparable down low to a super vic I'm probably going to pull the trigger.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Yeah, CID is the real deal. You won’t regret it. That video was killer Black Bird!!
Old 03-09-2019, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

That's a methanol breathing bad SOB!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I decided to go for it and just ordered the intake and rails in the 4.0" csa full height ls3 version. As I said before I can't find too much information on them, but I also haven't seen anyone say anything bad about it. When I called during the week I spoke to an Aussie on the phone who seemed to convince me that it would be a good option on my setup. He also said they are made to order so it may be as much as 3-4 weeks before I have it at my door. Another thing to note is that he had reservations on anyone milling the 1/2" off the top of the flange that they say you CAN do; he was heavily advising against it and it pretty much ruins everything they cast into the intake runner-wise, so if clearance is an issue, find the height difference somewhere else. They're having a small sale now, so it was 1045 to my door. Not great sounding, but with what fast charges for a piece of plastic, I feel pretty good about it. I'll update the thread with some pictures when I get the intake in, and once I have it on the dyno in 2 months or so I'll update with numbers as well. I'm shooting for around 550 wheel through an unlocked 80e and a spooled 9" with a 24x-25x or a 25x-26x cam, I still have to get with Cammotion and see exactly what they will recommend. Unfortunately I will be running the morel race link bar hydraulics as a llsr isn't in the budget right now.
Stang2Goat (09-19-2023)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by GtoProject
I decided to go for it and just ordered the intake and rails in the 4.0" csa full height ls3 version. As I said before I can't find too much information on them, but I also haven't seen anyone say anything bad about it. When I called during the week I spoke to an Aussie on the phone who seemed to convince me that it would be a good option on my setup. He also said they are made to order so it may be as much as 3-4 weeks before I have it at my door. Another thing to note is that he had reservations on anyone milling the 1/2" off the top of the flange that they say you CAN do; he was heavily advising against it and it pretty much ruins everything they cast into the intake runner-wise, so if clearance is an issue, find the height difference somewhere else. They're having a small sale now, so it was 1045 to my door. Not great sounding, but with what fast charges for a piece of plastic, I feel pretty good about it. I'll update the thread with some pictures when I get the intake in, and once I have it on the dyno in 2 months or so I'll update with numbers as well. I'm shooting for around 550 wheel through an unlocked 80e and a spooled 9" with a 24x-25x or a 25x-26x cam, I still have to get with Cammotion and see exactly what they will recommend. Unfortunately I will be running the morel race link bar hydraulics as a llsr isn't in the budget right now.
Awesome. Please throw pics up when you get it.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Alright, so no update yet with pictures as the intake is still a few weeks out. I currently have an accufab 4150 throttle body, but I am planning on running a 4500 to free up some restriction, but I cannot find almost any carb hats for a 4500. I have only found one, the procharger brand for blow through carbs, but it's 5.5 tall and I do not have quite that much room. I want to be able to run a filter on the street and I was planning on a carb hat fed by some 4" pipe into a ftp 104. Is there anything on the market that is around 3.5-4.0" tall with a 4500 flange? Or am I going to have to fab something up and make it work?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Came home to a present outside my door today. It got here today on 3/21, less than a 2 week turn around. Talking on the phone with the guys from CID I assumed it wouldn't be here for another 2 weeks, so I am extremely pleased with the time it took to get it to my door. I ordered the ls3 4.0 intake as this will be on a mild, but high revving, daily driven 408 and I want to keep port velocity as high as possible. It was very well packed and definitely looked smaller when it was in the box. First impressions are that this thing is freaking huge. Its both tall and wide and the giant fuel rails make it look even bigger. The casting is top-notch, some of the best as-cast stuff I have ever seen. I think I remember the guys at CID saying that these were cast in Ohio, so this is some amazing US quality. All the machined areas are spot on and all the holes and tapped areas are well done and in the right spots. Luckily I had my trusty LS coffee table ready so I pulled the intake and glass of to get some easy preliminary measurement and fitment down. The fit is great and everything lines up. (I was unable to see port match due to having cathedral heads on the table, but I will probably bolt up some ls3's later on and check how it looks) Measuring from the bare block to the carb pad I have exactly 9.00" of height (1/2" less height than advertised, although CID told me on the phone that the ls3 casting were slightly shorter than the ls7's), and from the top of the valley cover without a gasket I have 8 5/8". The only issue I have with it is that the injector holes weren't completely deburred in the intake runners, obviously a non-issue as I am going to take cartridge rolls to the runners anyway just to smooth everything out a bit (honestly I would'nt even hesitate to just bolt it on though). If anyone wants/needs any measurements let me know. I won't have it on the car until mid-may as I am waiting to finish up a semester of school before I get the rest of the build together, but I will update with numbers/install pics when the time comes.

Last edited by GtoProject; 03-21-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:44 AM
ModSquad

Thanks for the pics. The runners are shorter looking, from the pics anyway, than I thought, and plenum volume is bigger than I thought. Your gonna run this on a daily driver? Excellent test. Please post results, when you get around to it.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 AM
ModSquad

Super cool coffe table btw!!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Thanks for the pics. The runners are shorter looking, from the pics anyway, than I thought, and plenum volume is bigger than I thought. Your gonna run this on a daily driver? Excellent test. Please post results, when you get around to it.
Yea the plenum on this thing is huge, and the runners are very straight/direct and shorter than you'd think for how physically large the outer dimensions are (the vast majority of the intake is plenum). I can't speak for the 4.5 and 5.0 manifolds as they have the runners hogged out and who knows what else, but this seems like it'll be manageable with my cubic inches and heads. And yes this will be run on a daily driven fbody. It's going to be on top of a very healthy cammed 408 thats sitting in front of 4000 stall and a spooled 9". I was initially planning on going with a vic jr/4150 setup but the more I researched the more I found that the super Vic would make the same power down low and shine up top. Then the more I researched the super Vic I saw more of the same between the super Vic and the mast/4500. And then I came across the CID which blew the mast out of the water and still made better power below the curve. Considering this car is either cruising or in the 7000+ rpm range I don't think I'll miss anything about the cathedral setup that's on the car now. I may lose a bit of lower end torque, but I'm not concerned with it as I'll be making up for it big time up top. The engine was initially built for turbos, but being in college and broke I had to put a hold on that. I'm gonna squeeze every ounce of n/a power out of it I can for the time being. I figured this intake would be great with boost as well, so it's really just a stepping stone to the finish. I had the hood clearance so we'll see what happens. I should have it on the dyno in pretty much exactly 2 months, I'm shooting for a dyno/street tune day around May 20.

Last edited by GtoProject; 05-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Finally got it done and on the dyno. Dyno numbers were garbage as I was chasing oil leaks and electrical issues. Finally got it all figured out but as hitting a wall just at convertor flash, turns out my high mileage truck coils are starting to take a dump and aren’t able to spark the plug enough overcome the cylinder pressure. I currently have coils on order so power numbers are unknown for now. Otherwise the car runs great, it’s actually very bearable considering a 4000 stall, spool, and a giant cam. Throttle response is very good considering the 4500 accufab as well. After the dyno I took the car about 450 miles on the highway and averaged almost 19 mpg with a stalled 4l60 and a 9” with 3.89’s on 93 (this was going from sea level to about 2500ft elevation), I am impressed to say the least.

The wiper had to be moved over 4”", the wiper arm had to be extensively modified, the cowl was cut significantly, a custom offset 4500 dominator filter base was fabbed, and a new water drainage system was fabricated for the cowl. It all just fits under a vfn 6”" cowl hood with a 14"x2.5" filter with a filter top. Wipers look and work just like factory from the outside and you honestly can’t really even tell they’re moved unless you’re looking for it, wipe pattern is dead on. Overall I think the entire project turned out well, I’m just waiting on coils and a real dyno number, should be capable of low 10’s in full street trim n/a.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 PM
ModSquad

Great job getting that to work in your car. There is a guy that builds killer coils out in Cali. Used to be a vendor on this site, and goes by Pantera EFI on this site. First name is Lance. Hit him up if you haven’t already bought a set of coils.
Id order a CID intake tonight if I could get a 4500 TB in a DBW, but that ain’t happening. I’ve got enough room under the hood of my Chevelle to run one easily. Please update us when you get car right and numbers.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

How much space is needed between the 4150 and the cowl hood for adequate air flow? Is this superior to cutting the hood and making a ram air catch for the 4150? It seems there isn’t much info on the CID + 4150.. trying to see if 4” is enough or if 6” is required
Old 08-17-2021, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalCam
How much space is needed between the 4150 and the cowl hood for adequate air flow? Is this superior to cutting the hood and making a ram air catch for the 4150? It seems there isn’t much info on the CID + 4150.. trying to see if 4” is enough or if 6” is required
this one is the 5.0 with a 4500,it’s about 1.5” off the bottom of the 4.5” Sunoco hood. I had to order the 6.5” to be able to fit the plate kit.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95sscamaro
this one is the 5.0 with a 4500,it’s about 1.5” off the bottom of the 4.5” Sunoco hood. I had to order the 6.5” to be able to fit the plate kit.

was that due to the hat on the throttle body? What nitrous plate?
Old 04-19-2023, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FinalCam

Here is my new setup retaining a stock height/stock deck block. It does have a MWC k-member now, but the engine is sitting in the same location as stock on ict billet solids. With my accufab 4500 I have plenty of clearance between my hood and the throttle body, with a vfn 6.5" hood. I have enough space that I'm sill able to run a 14x3" filter on a modified 4500 filter base and still retain the wipers. You should have no issue fitting under a 4.5" hood without a filter and still getting adequate airflow. A 4150 should be about the same height, depending on what you use and what spacer is also used. For max clearance I'd suggest just running a 4500, accufab was the shortest I could find at the time, but I'm not sure if there are many other options even now. I run this daily on the street throughout the year in Virginia and I haven't had any drivability issues since I got my tune figured out.

ALL ULL C (04-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Anyone Running/heard of CID intakes?