Notices
Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 won't start now

Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Default LS3 won't start now

I swapped in an LS3 into my 72 Vette a few years ago. It fired right up and has so for quite some time now. It did sit for a while, a few years due to life (divorce and so on). Now back to it and trying to finish it up. It started right up again and has on several occasions. Within the last month or two it has had intermittent start problems. Just cranks but no fire. Try this a few times and all of a sudden it fires and runs fine. Has done this on several occasions. Does not matter if it is hot or cold. Now I am getting no start at all. Just cranks. I have fuel pressure 58lbs, I have an rpm signal verified by code reader. The only thing I can think of is battery has gone south. I have 13.4 volts but when I crank it the voltage drops to 10.4 volts while cranking. Battery is a couple of years old but not many miles but it is fully charged. Will the ECU fire the coils and injectors with the voltage that low? I never measured it before because it always started.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Battery is fine. 10V at a load test (cranking) is OK. Below that is weak, but you seem OK there. Sorry about the divorce, it happens. :/ Yes, the ECU will fire down to much lower voltage than 10V, closer to 6V actually. Check for cam signal, and try a redundant ground to ECU? Check for animal chewed wires during storage. Hit it with a whiff of starting fluid to rule out ignition system, etc.....
Old 05-16-2019, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the starting fluid / "Explosion In A Can" stuff. Very good diagnostic tool but I would not use it as a crutch to frequently start up a difficult engine. The stuff strips the oil film from cylinder walls.

How old is the dead dinosaur juice in the fuel tank? 58 PSI of old ethanol fuel won't do much. Do your injectors flow anything? They could also be badly clogged.

Rick
Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Teching In

The fuel is actually fresh. It was running fine last time it was started which was a week ago. It is really weird when it wants to start it fires immediately. Then I shut it down and it just cranks next time firing it up. It has been intermittent for the last 2 months but now it is just cranking.

I'll try the starting fluid and see if it fires

Last edited by Gordonm; 05-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: