Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Block Off Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019 | 01:37 AM
Teching In

Default PCV Block Off Plate

I've got an LY6 that I've swapped into a Chevy Colorado. Factory air intake. Engine has Holley valve covers so I planned to run a catch can set up. Does anyone know of a block off plate for the large(3/4") hole in the center of the intake? I no longer have the fitting that was connected to it so I can't just throw a vacuum nipple style plug on it.

I realize I can probably just throw a rubber expansion plug in there, just looks kind of bad.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2019 | 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

That's likely the brake booster port. There is no PCV hole on the intake, and if there was it would not be 3/4". LS PCV systems are all plumbed from the valve covers to two different places on the throttle body, before and after the throttle blade.
Old 09-15-2019 | 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Old 09-15-2019 | 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
He was saying in the middle of the intake. What you show is what I described, unless you are illustrating my point, or to show the hose actually going into the intake rather than the TB. My mistake! DOH!
Old 09-16-2019 | 12:20 PM
Teching In

This is actually the spot I was talking about. Trying to find a PN for the fitting/hose and having a difficult time doing that. Might just have to stop into the stealership and get it. I might end up using this as my brake booster fitting depending on the size of the nipple. Ideally I'd use the port on the back of the manifold but my intake is pretty tight up to the firewall so it may not be an option.

Meant to upload a picture to my original post but the internet in my hometown is awful and I didn't wanna wait an hour for it to be done!
Old 09-16-2019 | 12:57 PM
Banned

Performance engines need some form of PCV or it will leak or blow oil too easily

I recommend factory PCV system, but everybody on this forum denies that it is useful or important.
Old 09-16-2019 | 01:03 PM
Teching In

I agree. I was just trying to tidy up the engine bay with those Holley valve covers. Are there some good aftermarket systems? Otherwise I can run the breather tubes from the holley valve covers into the catch can, then from the catch can into that middle port of the intake.
Old 09-16-2019 | 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by InfamousRacing
I agree. I was just trying to tidy up the engine bay with those Holley valve covers. Are there some good aftermarket systems? Otherwise I can run the breather tubes from the holley valve covers into the catch can, then from the catch can into that middle port of the intake.
These guys seem to have it together with the PCV systems
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/b...-check-valves/

Thats for vette but they have other designs. I just like the clean side separator with the easy-to-clean "jar" it looks cool and seems like it would work well.

If the engine is healthy then very little oil will appear on the 'clean side' (passive fresh air tube) at WOT so a can is often unnecessary if the rest of the pcv system is mostly OEM and the engine isn't double output+ or increased redline. I prefer to use without a can first because a can will add volume to the system which will diminish the pressure gradient provided by WOT pressure drop for pcv.
Old 09-16-2019 | 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
but everybody on this forum denies that it is useful or important.
Nobody said they were useless and twisting the facts to fit your narrative won't change anything.
Old 09-16-2019 | 01:55 PM
Banned

Nobody said they were useless and twisting the facts to fit your narrative won't change anything.
you said "pcv has nothing to do with keeping oil inside the engine and is merely an emissions device"
The PCV has nothing to do with keeping oil in the engine as long as it vented.
The PCV system is part of the emissions system to burn crankcase vapors
Sounds pretty ******* useless to me if we go by your words!
The most incorrect statement you've ever made, in fact
mechanic thinks because he can build an engine, that hes an engineer, oh so cute filthy hands thinker, try hard
Old 09-16-2019 | 02:19 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

you said "pcv has nothing to do with keeping oil inside the engine and is merely an emissions device"

mechanic thinks because he can build an engine, that hes an engineer, oh so cute filthy hands thinker, try hard
SMH...
Your a half inch away from getting booted. Drop the agenda. Last warning.
Old 09-16-2019 | 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Dude, You really need to let it go already, PCV is an emissions device and it sure the hell isn't helping performance, It doesn't pull a vacuum at wide open throttle because there is no vacuum present in the manifold at wide open throttle. With no vacuum present at wide open throttle vapors are pushed out of the engine by the incoming pressure that leaks past the rings during combustion. So a vent is just as good as a PCV at WOT. This is the last time I'm replying to you on this topic, Obviously you think everyone else is wrong and you are right because you are smarter than everyone

The PCV System | Hemmings Daily

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/the-pcv-system
Sep 24, 2018 · The PCV system remains an effective component of vehicle emissions systems to this day, usually requiring little more than an occasional replacement of the PCV valve itself, which is typically a fairly inexpensive item that is easily exchanged, often without the need for tools.

Emission control system - Britannica.com

https://www.britannica.com/technology/emission-control-system
The device that performs this function is known as the positive crankcase ventilation valve, or PCV valve. To control exhaust emissions, which are responsible for two-thirds of the total engine pollutants, two types of systems are used: the air-injection system and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

Emission Control Systems | CarParts.com

https://www.carparts.com/classroom/emission.htm
Some of the more popular emission control devices installed on the automobile are: EGR VALVE, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, AIR PUMP, PCV VALVE, CHARCOAL CANISTER. CATALYTIC CONVERTER Automotive emissions are controlled in three ways, one is to promote more complete combustion so that there are less by products.

How does a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system ...

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm
Until the early 1960s, these blow-by gases were removed simply by letting air circulate freely through the crankcase, wafting away the gases and venting them as emissions. Then, in the early 1960s, positive crankshaft ventilation (PCV) was invented. This is now considered the beginning of automobile emission control.

PCV System – One Of The Biggest Causes Of Engine Oil Sludge

https://dannysengineportal.com/pcv-system
Jul 13, 2018 · The PCV Valve System (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is a controlled device used to vent the crankcase. It sends partially burned gases that come from the engine’s crankcase back to the combustion chamber.

Ditch That PCV System Before It Is Too Late - Oppositelock

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/ditch-that-pcv-system-before-it-is-too-late-1634156554
Ditch That PCV System Before It Is Too Late. Often one side of the system is connected via a small hose to the air intake tube which helps put the system into a vacuum. The other side of the system has a one-way valve which lets pressure escape where it is then fed into your intake.

Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system
The PCV system thus became the first real vehicle emissions control device. Positive crankcase ventilation was first factory-installed on a widespread basis by law on all new 1961-model cars first sold in California. The following year, New York required it.

What are Vehicle Emissions? (with pictures) - wisegeek.com

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-vehicle-emissions.htm
Aug 14, 2019 · This device was designed to draw harmful vehicle emissions out of the exhaust system and run it through the combustion system to burn off the toxins. In the United States in 1961, California was the first state to mandate the PCV system on all new vehicles sold.

Emission Control Device Operation,Diagnosis, and Service

http://www.pearsoned.ca/highered/div...man_AutoTec_ch...
POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) SYSTEM Most engines remove blow-by gases from the crankcase with a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system.This system pulls crankcase vapours HINT: Exhaust emissions depend on the condition of the engine, ignition system, and fuel system as well as the proper operation of exhaust emission-control de-

Answer:The positive crankcase ventilation system, referred to as the PCV system, was one of the first pollution control devices to be used on engines. Years ago, all engines had a “breather tube.” Its purpose was to remove crankcase vapors and gases from the engine. The breather tube allowed these vapors to go into the atmosphere as a known contributor to air pollution. Today, all engines use some variation of the positive crankcase ventilation system. The purpose of the PCV system is to stop crankcase vapors and gases, produced within the engine, from getting into the air.

Old 09-16-2019 | 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Che70velle
SMH...
You can delete my posts if you would like sir, Thank you
Old 09-16-2019 | 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Che70velle
SMH...
Your a half inch away from getting booted. Drop the agenda. Last warning.
The agenda is: "correctly identify myths & bad information using experience, college coursework, and by comparing data with OEM systems and high performance applications"

when I make a post, and people say "you're wrong" without any supporting evidence, they don't get banned or removed. and I never complain or care.
But when I say something is wrong, and provide evidence, I get banned for providing evidence and data/details. From multiple locations and OEM manufacturers no less.
Because the information is soo long nobody wants to read it. So they just skip it and say "you're wrong" this from 3-4 members here only I noticed, the same ones.
No other forum has this trouble with 3-4 members. It's always the same crowd.

The issue is the 3 to 4 dolts typing "you're wrong" after I present evidence provided by OEM manufacturers and variety of aftermarket companies.
It's not even my data they are disagreeing with, It's the Original manufacturers systems I am presenting and three or four people are calling it 'wrong' LOL

It is confusing to the novices and noobs who do not understand that those same 3-4 people are just 'haters' and disagree with everything I post no matter what.

For example I made a casual comment about how 4.8L to 6L engines iron are for "turbocharger only"
And immediately get all kinds of "HES WRONG" even though the statement is literally, obviously an opinion only and cannot possibly be 'wrong'.

If you want, just ban all the PhD / MS (mechanical/electrical) engineering from your forum, you can't see the stars through a damn telescope and your reaction is to burn the witch
I don't get why you want your forum members to be full of 1980's knowledge. But that's between you and whatever gods are watching.

coursework I bring to the forum , I tutor about half of this still $60/hr if you need it

BSC 1085 HUM AN/PHY I A
BSC 1085L HUM ANA PHY I_LAB A
CHM 1045 GEN CHEM I A
SPC 1600 PUB SPEAKING B
BSC 1086 HUM ANA PHY II A
BSC 1086L HUM ANA PHY II LAB A
CHM 1046 GEN CHEM II A
CHM 1046L GEN CHM LB II B
CHM 2210 ORGANIC CHM I A
CHM 2210L ORG CHM LAB I A
CHM 2211 ORGANIC CHM II A
CHM 2211L ORG CHM LAB II A
ECO 2013 MACROECONOMICS B
ECO 2023 MICROECONOMICS A
MAC 1105 COLL ALGEBRA A
MAT 1033 INTER ALGEBRA A
MAC 1114 TRIGONOMETRY A
MAC 1140 PRE CAL ALG A
MAC 2311 CAL/ANL GEO I A
PHY 2053 PHYSICS I B
PHY 2053L GEN PHYS I LAB B
PHY 2054 GEN PHYSICS II B
PHY 2054L GEN PHYS II LB A
MAC 2312 CAL/ANL GEO II A
BSC 2011L INTRO TO BIO II LAB B
BCH 3033 Boca Raton UG Biochemistry 1 B
CHM 3400 Boca Raton UG Intro to Physical Chemistry A-
CHM 3609 Boca Raton UG Inorganic Chemistry B
CHM 3609L Boca Raton UG Inorganic Chemistry Lab B
PCB 3063 Davie UG Genetics A-
PCB 4023 Davie UG Molecular and Cell Biology B-
PCB 4043 Davie UG Principles of Ecology B
PCB 4233 Davie UG Immunology B
PSY 3234 Davie UG Exp Design & Stat Inference A
BSC 4806 Davie UG Biology of Cancer B+
MCB 4203 Davie UG Medical Bacteriology B+
PCB 3703 Davie UG Human Morphology & Function 1 B
PCB 3703L Davie UG Human Morph & Function 1 Lab B+
PCB 4843C Boca Raton UG Practical Cell Neuroscience A-
MCB 3020 General Microbiology B-
BCH 6740 Advanced Biochemistry B-
BME 6762 Bioinformatics: Bioeng Perspec A-
PSB 6345 Neuroscience 1 A
BME 5000 Intro to Bioengineering A
BSC 6936 Adv Biotechnology Lab B
CEN 6405 Computer Performance Modeling A-
CHM 6157 Instrumentation B
EEL 6935 Tissue Engineering A
PCB 6207 Advanced Cell Physiology A
BME 5742 Biosystems Modeling & Control A
BME 6905 Ebola Induced Responses A
EGN 3311 Statics B+
EGN 3321 Dynamics B
EGN 3343 Engineering Thermodynamics A-
EGN 3331 Strength of Materials B+
BME 6105 Boca Raton GR Biomaterials
EML 6716 Boca Raton GR Advanced Fluid Dynamics
EML 3701 Fluid Mechanics A
EGM 6533 Advanced Strength of Materials
PHY2049 + L GENERAL PHYSICS II (W/CALCULUS) + LAB
EML 6317 Advanced Control Systems
EOC 5172 Mathematical Mthds in OE
EGN 4432 Dynamic Systems
MAP 2302 Differential equations
STA 4032 Probability and statistics for engineers

B.S. M.S. PhD
Cumulative:

skills & interests
• Gasoline automotive technician/auto drivetrain repair and maintenance, 20 years’ experience
Example1
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ge-budget.html
• General Diagnostics, flow chart, making lists, being responsible with lists
• Tig welding aluminum, cutting and cleaning pipe, advanced machine shop fabrication culture
• math tutor for intermediate algebra through calculus
• lawn service, tree & plant cutting, small machine handling and maintenance, digging holes, fixing small engines, clean liquids, updated materials, innovation where needed
• 20 years computer technician/programming experience
• A+ Comptia certified since 16 years old (computer hardware & software repair)
• very early on developed basic computer hardware skills in order to understand game physics, 3D graphic engines, network administration, virus control/removal strategy, OS prevalence
• Cleanliness (cleaner than that)
• Photoshop, Adobe 22+ years experience (since high school)
• Computer thinking-ability, good at keeping track of variables in code, of working out solution in code before writing it, and thinking of ways to use simple code to achieve desired results.
• Being a very nice person and sensitive to others emotional states and conditions, everybody is different and unique
• Maintaining and cleaning equipment (worth mentioning twice) the blade can be too sharp. Good grip on what sort of atomic surfaces working with, sterility.
• Debugging. find every single bug, test every system in every possible orientation. Creating a robust system that can be abused and still function fine, doesn’t care how bad you force it to accept characters, garbage, it won’t crash just because you inject foreign code, someone got funny idea to try and crash an expensive, would be delicate system. I thought of it already.
• Keeping it simple. Being aware of the dangers of both increasing or reducing complexity, and risk. Ever since witnessing a bridge collapse, can only think about how sure it could have been prevented.
• Running equipment properly and being aware of the state and upkeep of tools and the harmonics of machines in general. Not using faulty equipment without realizing it, not taking numbers or data from sensors and sources that doesn’t make any sense without questioning it, and so forth. Not being easily fooled! I always assume I am wrong.
• hardware drivers, frequency response, closed/open loop operation in dynamic systems
• experience with automotive microprocessor&driver control of internal combustion engine, trigger, magnetic/hall pickup shielded from EMI as shown on an oscilloscope to identify individual cylinder order for fuel and spark properly at high RPM.
• nuclear magnetic resonance, mass spec, liquid chromatography, western blot, PCR, &c majority of individual molecular/atomic & DNA analysis available to university, inventive - Instrumentation singularity
• matlab modelling, elegant design strategy, optimization techniques, think outside the outside box to get something smooth efficient and crashless (robust)
• electronics basic circuitry, RC layout pcb, 555 timer, CMOS, rectifier diodes, transformers, zener diodes, beginner stuff still learning how to assemble circuit board
• light microscopy and digital imagery processing/clarification, going pixel by pixel with code to distinguish what is showing on viewing screen in order to make decisions (programming code which may act in place of a human to do actions in the environment or on a computer screen... many applications $)
• anatomy & physiology, almost every chemistry (inorganic chem, biochem, gen chem, environmental chem, orgo chem, physical chem) properties of atoms
• advanced cellular physiology, varied dramatic mechanisms, internal cell mechanics
• object oriented programing and visual basic applications
• elucidate structures using bioinformatics and memorizing atomic positions for catalytic behaviors
• Bodybuilder techniques for properly gaining weight, and losing it, naturally
• Joint and health maintenance, building strong bones & joints with exercise
• control applications, microprocessor behaviors and coding output frequency driver robust systems

examples of cars done

I recently put together and tuned some LS engine but everyone already knows that now or should

the internet is a very large place and the discussion and results continues whether you like it or not.
Attached Thumbnails PCV Block Off Plate-rb26240sx022.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019 | 04:01 PM
Banned

See, he won't let it go.

this is wrong:
Dude, You really need to let it go already, PCV is an emissions device and it sure the hell isn't helping performance, It doesn't pull a vacuum at wide open throttle because there is no vacuum present in the manifold at wide open throttle. With no vacuum present at wide open throttle vapors are pushed out of the engine by the incoming pressure that leaks past the rings during combustion. So a vent is just as good as a PCV at WOT. This is the last time I'm replying to you on this topic, Obviously you think everyone else is wrong and you are right because you are smarter than everyone

He refuses to research the issue and fails to understand basic pcv function at wide open throttle.
For the 99th time, please read how pcv works,

see for example
www.engineprofessional.com/articles/EPQ315_34-44.pdf
Quote:

We elected to use crankcase pressure as a metric for evaluating the PCV system’s
performance. Measurement with sensitive instrumentation confirmed what we already knew; if the PCV system is working properly, a slight vacuum should be present in the crankcase. This is not vacuum to the level of that which would be observed with a crankcase vacuum pump, however if the PCV valve is properly ventilating the crankcase, fresh air should be pulled in through the crankcase inlet breather or hose. To trigger this flow, a pressure differential must be present from the outside atmosphere to the inside of the crankcase. If the PCV system is not functioning properly, the crankcase will push vapors out of the crankcase
inlet vent or hose. In this condition, the crankcase will be under positive pressure.

So we see, a "vent" i.e. letting the crankcase pressure build and exit means the PCV system is NOT working properly.
read and learn how it works at WOT before spilling this misinformation avidly !
This is discussion forum, should not punish members for discussing issues

I'll draw a picture for him so he can visualize it next. w8
Old 09-16-2019 | 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Talon- Your capacity for skewing facts is monumental.
STOCK or near-stock engines DO need PCV, if for no other reason than to pass emissions, but in that situation also serve a practical purpose.
Very high performance engines need to be ventilated, but NOT with a stock-configuration system. In a competition situation, they do better with valve cover vents or possibly both of them connected to the exhaust collector using exhaust pulses to evacuate the fumes.
You don't think in the real world at all. Look around at race cars and see what is proven to work. You think theoretically, what SHOULD work, but not what actually DOES work in the real world. Your knowledge of LS engines is very recently discovered by you, most of which is second nature to most on these forums.
Keep poking at the mods. You will gain the satisfaction of REALLY being banned, rather than the recently self-imposed exile, for what good nobody knows, though we enjoyed it....
Old 09-16-2019 | 04:39 PM
Banned

Alright I got you dawg

One with OEM pcv at WOT showing how it does in fact pull "work" at WOT

And one showing the typical way people screw the OEM system up (removing or altering air filter)
Old 09-16-2019 | 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Talon- Your capacity for skewing facts is monumental.
STOCK or near-stock engines DO need PCV, if for no other reason than to pass emissions, but in that situation also serve a practical purpose.
Very high performance engines need to be ventilated, but NOT with a stock-configuration system. In a competition situation, they do better with valve cover vents or possibly both of them connected to the exhaust collector using exhaust pulses to evacuate the fumes.
You don't think in the real world at all. Look around at race cars and see what is proven to work. You think theoretically, what SHOULD work, but not what actually DOES work in the real world. Your knowledge of LS engines is very recently discovered by you, most of which is second nature to most on these forums.
Keep poking at the mods. You will gain the satisfaction of REALLY being banned, rather than the recently self-imposed exile, for what good nobody knows, though we enjoyed it....
Dude I and all my friends have and have had 700 800 1000rwhp engines using OEM pcv systems that I have setup properly over the last 10-20 years

So shut the **** up with your "whatever" its just bull ****

All the race cars I know of have actual vacuum pump PCV because it adds power and cleanliness.
That is NOT a street setup!
Almost every engine I just showed above is 700-800rwhp and uses OEM pcv system so take that back where you came from
Just because Nissan and Toyota have superior engines and pcv systems doesn't mean you can't adapt and modify the LS system to suit your purposes, that is kind of the point of being a 'gear head' don't you think?
Even on my own 5.3L Turbo I have active WOT pcv vent system, and PROOF that it works
Old 09-16-2019 | 05:00 PM
Banned

Heres some proof OEM system is adapted and works just fine on turbo setup LS V8 config

At 14:05 in the video you see the oil misted inside the intake tract!

During cruise there is a suction so it can't possible send oil there.
The only way oil can get there is if the filter/turbo provided a suction (as planned) to the crankcase during WOT.
If the engine is healthy, the quantity of oil misting is negligible. Notice the small fanning out shape after 10,000 miles doesn't even get close to the turbo yet.

This will keep the crankcase pressure off my engine's internal seals. It will prevent oil leaks from forming after years and years of WOT action.
Keep living in your own little worlds while I make real progress and try to share it.... and you deny! deny! seeing the planets simple harmonic motions
Old 09-16-2019 | 06:26 PM
Banned

A little better, I figured I would add how to adjust the system properly and other small details
made this with PAINT. I don't like or use paint. I prefer photoshop but its not on this computer. Hence why I haven't made one of these yet for this topic.

Note the more blow-by, the more the crankcase pressure will tend to rise, the more restrictive the air filter needs to be in order to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. In other words, the crankcase pressure "fights" the pulling of the pcv system by trying to push the pressure positive, blowby by is trying to push the crankcase above atmospheric. So if you have a very good piston-seal (low blow-by condition) then it won't take much power/pcv action to pull down the crankcase pressure and you won't sacrifice much.

pressure pushes on oil seals and helps oil escape the engine when it goes positive, which we have seen from examples where engine piston rings have failed, and blow-by forces oil from every orifice and the reverse is also true, that is, the lower the pressure we provide to the crankcase in it's current state, the less oil will blow out and push out from oil seals over time, even if blow-by gets very bad up to a point we can control it using this technique (just to limp the engine around)

Pressure for gas state is number of collisions of gas molecules per unit time against a surface. The force that holds a tire inflated is the combined force from innumerable atoms bouncing from the inner surface of the tire. If we consider a seal exposed to pressure in a similar conceptualization then it becomes clear why fewer collisions with oil seal surfaces (and oil-escape passageways) would be better for preventing those molecules from escaping in the first place (prevent oil leaks).

Many times I get the reaction "why would you feed the engine those vapors and sacrifice power etc..." and the answer is simple. Healthy engines provide very little vapors, and the lower pressure generated in the crankcase will help keep oil inside the engine for many years and miles to come. Worthy trade
As far as power. I have more than I need.... wayyyyy more than I need. That was kind of the point: build a car so that it never needs more power, so you can give a bunch of power up everywhere to make it more amenable for normal driving. I never wanted to worry about 50hp coming or going. Ex. I give up 50-100hp just from having a full length exhaust 3". I give up 40hp using paper filter and pcv setup. I lose 2-3% using heavy wheels to help with traction (slows the rate down so the engine can make full power but not spin the tire). A/C and 4l80e is another ~10hp together I bet.
I give up all that power because now the car will be quiet, it won't leak, it won't spin as bad, and it still has too much power leftover because of 82lb/min turbocharger. I think everybody should build their cars that way so they can stop worrying about 10 or 50hp all the time.
It's wasteful and almost like an opposite of racing in some ways....

its daily driving.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 09-16-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV Block Off Plate