Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020 | 08:09 PM
Launching!

Default Overheating

I just swapped in an l76 in my g body. When I run it, the temp on the gauge on the dash gets to 225 and doesn't come down idling in the driveway. With the old 5.3 it always held no higher that 205 idling. However my holley efi is showing no higher than 205 on the handheld and drops when engine speed increases. The holley sensor is on the driver front of the head and the dakota gauge sensor is on the back passenger. I tried purging the radiator again and also disconnected the steam line and let it run to try and get air out. No luck. Should I be concerned? Which gauge do I trust more? Thank you.
Old 05-01-2020 | 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

I have a similar situation, 5.3 liter Gen 3. My PCM sees an easy 10-15 degrees lower temperature than what my Dakota Digital HDX gauges indicate. My temp also drops with increased RPM sitting still in traffic which tells me I'm water pump constrained, not radiator constrained.

But really, I'm not too worried. The DD gauges does not go much higher than about 230 F and the PCM is down around 215 at the same time. There are differences in temperature around these engines and I think we are seeing evidence of it here.

Rick
Old 05-02-2020 | 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
I have a similar situation, 5.3 liter Gen 3. My PCM sees an easy 10-15 degrees lower temperature than what my Dakota Digital HDX gauges indicate. My temp also drops with increased RPM sitting still in traffic which tells me I'm water pump constrained, not radiator constrained.

But really, I'm not too worried. The DD gauges does not go much higher than about 230 F and the PCM is down around 215 at the same time. There are differences in temperature around these engines and I think we are seeing evidence of it here.

Rick

Thank you, it just made me a little paranoid because this engine replaced a 5.3 in there where the sensor was in the same spot and read spot on
Old 05-02-2020 | 05:42 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Cylinder head temperature sensor location defly reads hot on these motors. Thats where the exhaust exits! If your using Holley efi and have Dakota Digital, than look into the BIM 01-02-HLLY module. Its plug n play and will pull.lots of useful info from the efi and display it in your gauges. Pretty cool set up. Just switch Holley to RACEPACK in your configurations. Than scroll thru your sensor settings in the gauges and switch em to BIM. Voila, no need to have extra sensors for each.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1105.htm

Last edited by rkupon1; 05-03-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2020 | 05:46 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

I also have one of these for sale for anyone interested and who is not running Dakota Digital gauges.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd752.htm
Old 05-03-2020 | 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Cylinder head temperature sensor location defly reads hot on these motors. Thats where the exhaust exits! If your using Holley efi and have Dakota Digital, than look into the BIM 01-02-HLLY module. Its plug n play and will pull.lots of useful info from the efi and display it in your gauges. Pretty cool set up. Just switch Holley to RACEPACK in your configurations. Than scroll thru your sensor settings in the gauges and switch em to BIM. Voila, no need to have extra sensors for each.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1105.htm
Awsome! Thank you. I think I'm going to order one today. Might help with my speedometer/tach interference issue
The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Overheating