Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"low-mount" belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb "low-mount" belt tensioner?

I have an LS3 water pump on an LS1 engine, with Corvette spacing, and I'm looking for solutions to free up space for a custom-mounted Procharger. I'd like to free up room where the current KaTech manual tensioner and pulley is, by moving the tensioner pulley lower. So far I haven't found anything off the shelf, but figured I'd make my own if I couldn't find anything.

Pic attached showing approximately where the pulley would end up.

Anyone know of a good DIY design to make this work, or wanna point me to something already out there?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im looking at older style tensioners, think vortec era small block to gain clearance at the frame on low mount a/c on an LS swap. Single bolt mounting with pin. Many pulleys available from grooved to flat and shouldered. Depending in pulley bolt hole diameter, may be able to swap the LS pulley in this style tensioner

No idea if the spacing would work for you, but they dont cost much, pick one up locally and take back if needed.

would replace this pulley and may tuck in better to prevent cutting as much of a frame notch.

Last edited by indyjps; 02-11-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for sharing this!

I don't have AC so not sure that routing would work for me. I'm a bit closer to DIYing this and I'll be sure to post up the final product.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by machschnell
Thanks for sharing this!

I don't have AC so not sure that routing would work for me. I'm a bit closer to DIYing this and I'll be sure to post up the final product.
that style of tensioner can be mounted anywhere. Spacing dependent, a plate mount for the single bolt and pin. Im just not sure how far it would sit in or out to line up with your set up.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, gotcha. Worth a shot so I ordered one. Though I'll need to switch the pulley to a ribbed one given which way the belt will be facing for me.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

A piece of thick steel mounted to the water pump and a custom made spacer has given me what I need.

Quick Reply: "low-mount" belt tensioner?