Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I used oil when installing my harmonic balancer, Was that wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

Default I used oil when installing my harmonic balancer, Was that wrong?

I'm working on my crate, LS376/480 swapped, 1991 Mustang Coupe project car. I've got ICT Billet front end accessory drive brackets (F body spacing) so I had to remove the OEM Corvette spacing balancer and replace it with a new, GM, F body spacing harmonic balancer.

I didn't know better and I used some engine oil on the oil seal as well as the crank snout before I pressed the HB on. Probably because of the oil, the HB went on without too much effort. Most of the guys had to put a lot of muscle into their HB installations in the videos that I watched.

Although I've seen at least one or two youtube videos where they used lube, it seems like the preferred method is to install the HB dry with no oil on the seal or the crank snout. Should I remove the HB, clean off the oil and press it back on or should I just call it good? I saw online where some unlucky LS people actually had their harmonic balancers come off the crank while their engines were running !

BTW, I used this fantastic USA made HB installer:

mafracting.com I purchased it through their eBay store along with their flywheel holder tool.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 620 Likes on 427 Posts

Should be just fine.

THIMK: within about 2 seconds of the 1st time you hit the key, there's gonna be oil all over that seal ANYWAY. What the hell difference does it make if there's some on it BEFORE then?

Once you get the bolt installed and fully tight, it isn't gonna make any difference about the oil on the crank snout. Same logic.

Usual reason for the HB walking off is, bolt not tight enough. There might occasionally be other reasons but that's the Pareto Principle answer. Don't make that mistake, and you'll be fine.

Sleep easy on it.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Should be just fine.

THIMK: within about 2 seconds of the 1st time you hit the key, there's gonna be oil all over that seal ANYWAY. What the hell difference does it make if there's some on it BEFORE then?

Once you get the bolt installed and fully tight, it isn't gonna make any difference about the oil on the crank snout. Same logic.

Usual reason for the HB walking off is, bolt not tight enough. There might occasionally be other reasons but that's the Pareto Principle answer. Don't make that mistake, and you'll be fine.

Sleep easy on it.
Thank you RB. That does make me feel better about it.

I don't even have a new HB bolt, but once I get one, I'll be sure to add sealer to the head/washer and then torque it properly. I haven't made up my mind whether i'm going with a TTY bolt or an ARP HB bolt.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Balancer spacing

I thought all the LS3 crate engines shipped with a truck accessory spacing balancer. Have they changed since using the F-car oil pan.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redneckinjunear
I thought all the LS3 crate engines shipped with a truck accessory spacing balancer. Have they changed since using the F-car oil pan.
​​​​​​​I purchased my LS3 376/480 three years ago last month. It was shipped with Corvette spacing components.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneckinjunear
LS3 crate engines have always used the Corvette balancers.

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
rkupon1 (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: I used oil when installing my harmonic balancer, Was that wrong?