Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a muffler….questions…

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022 | 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

I made a brace in the middle to strengthen it up.

I then filled it up with packing. I stuffed as much as I could in there. Used at least half of a 5lb roll lol

5lb roll
Old 04-11-2022 | 09:50 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Travis, I’d be proud to say I did that. Now go install it and race your son…report back with audio/video. Shoot…you might be in the muffler business by the weekend. That would be exhausting…I’ll be here all week. 😜
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022 | 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Travis, I’d be proud to say I did that. Now go install it and race your son…report back with audio/video. Shoot…you might be in the muffler business by the weekend. That would be exhausting…I’ll be here all week. 😜
race him on foot? That would be the only way he’d have a remote chance of winning lol
Old 04-11-2022 | 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

you couldve just put a cutout before the glasspack and made a much smaller muffler
Old 04-12-2022 | 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
you couldve just put a cutout before the glasspack and made a much smaller muffler
it’s like that now. That’s why I’m doing this, I want the exhaust going out the tail pipe, not under my car. It sounds like crap and rattles my interior.
Old 04-20-2022 | 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

This has turned out to be much more work than I anticipated. Had I known this, I probably would have just bought a varex and settled. But I’ve come this far, might as well finish it. I had to order a 3” v band clamp and flanges to finish this off…

You get the idea here what I’m doing

This thicker flange is way way nicer than the thin pos I originally bought.

Old 04-26-2022 | 11:51 AM
TECH Regular
5 Year Member

And now you will find out why no muffler you can buy is square, soda can thin, and doesn't have any flat sides that aren't braced many times by the internal baffles.

What you have built is one of these with four sides and eight kick pedals under the hood:

This man has clearly never heard of Herman Von Helmholtz.
Old 04-26-2022 | 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kawboom
And now you will find out why no muffler you can buy is square, soda can thin, and doesn't have any flat sides that aren't braced many times by the internal baffles.

What you have built is one of these with four sides and eight kick pedals under the hood:

This man has clearly never heard of Herman Von Helmholtz.

first off, it’s not soda can thin. It .063 wall stainless. Second, spin tech builds square mufflers. And third, I know who helmholtz is. If you haven’t noticed, the design is on purpose because the closed off chamber will act as a helmholtz resonator when the valve is closed.
Also, did you not notice the brace in the middle.
Old 04-26-2022 | 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Spintechs here. Good sound. I think they are about as thick as an Abrams tank.
Kfxguy (04-26-2022)
Old 05-09-2022 | 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I heard that from a few guys but I had a decent 236/246 cam and it was quiet. Complainers always ruin things, oh well. Even so it would be super easy to cut it open and modify it to not rattle, I cut open stock mufflers, gut them and weld them back up so the car looks stock and since they are a large volume they still don't sound too loud and don't drone.
so I decided to install that muffler on my sons truck (dyno max) and omg that thing rattled horribly. I mean very bad. I thought it wouldn’t because his is a stock cam. Nope. Jeez, it was bad. I cut the exhaust to make it fit so we were stuck with it unless I wanted to do more work. I ended up taking the muffler back off and sticking a long sawzall blade in there and cutting the rattling flap out.
Old 05-09-2022 | 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

And I haven’t finished it yet. Have other projects going but I’ve been pecking away at it. Here’s the mock-up

Old 05-09-2022 | 09:20 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
so I decided to install that muffler on my sons truck (dyno max) and omg that thing rattled horribly. I mean very bad. I thought it wouldn’t because his is a stock cam. Nope. Jeez, it was bad. I cut the exhaust to make it fit so we were stuck with it unless I wanted to do more work. I ended up taking the muffler back off and sticking a long sawzall blade in there and cutting the rattling flap out.
haha damn, I get the annoyance. Dynomax isnt alone, I had a fancy exhaust on my daily (sticker was like $2500) with a similar bypass valve but it had a vacuum based actuator instead of a spring and it still rattled. Seems price doesn't exclude one from having to modify parts.

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
And I haven’t finished it yet. Have other projects going but I’ve been pecking away at it. Here’s the mock-up

Coming together! Hopefully it works out
Kfxguy (05-09-2022)
Old 02-04-2023 | 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Well after almost a year later, I had a wild hair to finish it up last night. I was considering redoing the exhaust tomorrow. Guess it depends on how much energy I feel like I have when I wake up tomorrow. The reason I didn’t finish it till now is I’ve been too busy fixing everything for everyone else. My life story I guess.

here it in in its finished state.

Old 02-05-2023 | 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Finished up everything else today. I decided to install it. I did not have enough time today to build a 3.5” front pipe so I made an adapter from 3” to 3.5” so I could at least get it installed and hear it. After almost a year, I could wait no longer. Well once finished, I cranked it up. It’s quieter than the borla muffler and has pretty much the same sound. Which is good. The bad……when I open the valve, it’s barely louder. It’s about like it was. However, I do have a second muffler at the tailpipe. I’m going to remove it tomorrow. I installed that long ago in an attempt to get rude of drone before I had the turbo. It didn’t but it made it quieter and killed a lot of the cam loping sound. So off it goes. I’ll update this with a video once it’s done.
Che70velle (02-08-2023)
Old 02-12-2023 | 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

What brand cut-out are you using?

Andrew
Old 02-12-2023 | 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

How about this?

Old 02-12-2023 | 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Pretty cool video! But where's the sound test??? Inquiring minds NEEEED to know.... lol
Old 02-18-2023 | 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What brand cut-out are you using?

Andrew
man I forgot. It’s a name brand. Lingenfelter or something. It’s a nice one with a controller.
Old 02-18-2023 | 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

I haven’t been getting notifications on this thread. Sorry I’m just answering now….but I did do something else today. Yes I have a video and pics.

my plans have been to redo my front mid pipe coming off the down pipe, to 3.5” instead of 3”. The down pipe is actually 3.5” and necks down to 3”. I’m sure it is choking it. Well, let me rephrase that….it was absolutely choking it. Just I didn’t realize by how much. Hint: I’ve already went for a test drive.

here’s some pics. Look, I’m no pro at welding, and many many people are far better than I am at welding, but I can stick some pipes together and it looks “ok”. I guess. I am getting better tho.

Old 02-18-2023 | 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

I must admit. I like pie cuts, it’s cheaper than buying bends, looks cooler, you can customize your angles……but it’s ALOT of work (welding and saw blades lol).

here’s a comparison of the original pipe and new one.

Quick Reply: Building a muffler….questions…