Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice building a l92

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need advice building a l92

hello guys im new to the forum and maybe this isn't the place to ask but i have a l92 that i was planning on rebuilding. It is from an escalade ext and the block has 150k miles on it. i was planning on doing a stock rebuild but decided i want to see some power or at least a built engine that can handle boost. so my question is what would be a good way to go about this? say if you had a l92 and give or take 6k to play with what would you do? what internals to get? pistons and rods? what should i get done in the machine shop?
Old 03-25-2022, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,078 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Why are you rebuilding this engine? Is there anything wrong with it? 150k miles is nothing on LS engines. Keep it together and put a turbo on it. It won't cost $6k.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Welcome dude! this is the best place to ask, you did well.

You've asked an easy, yet tough question. basic answer: forged pistons, rings gapped for boost/power adder, forged rods, stock crank, stock heads, upgraded camshaft and valve springs.

150K engine rebuild (while you're in there) will need, new lifters, new lifter trays, new front and rear seals, obvs new head gaskets, oil pan gasket, oil pump oring, cam bearings (if needed), main journal bearings, intake manifold gasket, lifer valley (LOMA) gasket.

Machine shop minimums are; piston bore mic, hone to a finish dimension, main line bore. Once you get that piston bore dimension you can then order pistons to that dimension, then you can look at the crankshaft and order bearings for those dimensions.

So yeah, it's complicated. The $ aspect depends on where you live for machine shop pricing, and how spicy you want to get with those rotating parts. K1, Diamond, Wiseco, Mahle, would be my choice for those.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Didn't expect a reply that quick this site rocks! Well I forgot to mention that I am swapping the l92 I had an extra sitting in my garage for a future project but the block on the engine my truck previously is cracked so I was thinking of rebuilding it since I really don't know how well it was maintained before I bought it! Figured if im gonna be adding boost later I might add some better internals . Should I keep stock size pistons? I just don't want it to blow when i add some boost.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by efrainfernandez
Should I keep stock size pistons? I just don't want it to blow when i add some boost.
It all depends on the size of the bore when ready to assemble. Ideally you would want that dimension to be a size that has many different piston options available.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a L92

Originally Posted by efrainfernandez
hello guys im new to the forum and maybe this isn't the place to ask but i have a l92 that i was planning on rebuilding. It is from an escalade ext and the block has 150k miles on it. i was planning on doing a stock rebuild but decided i want to see some power or at least a built engine that can handle boost. so my question is what would be a good way to go about this? say if you had a l92 and give or take 6k to play with what would you do? what internals to get? pistons and rods? what should i get done in the machine shop?
I started buy going through summit racing equipment online website. Get a Pro LS 416 stroker forged rotating assembly . Go with the 6 cc dished pistons 4.070 . Have your block bored and decked, wouldn’t be a bad idea to have them align hone the block and install the cam bearings. You’re looking at 10.9:1 compression with stock heads. Get a 228@50 intake 238@50 exhaust 113 LSA . You’re looking at 600 flywheel horse power 😎

I built this what used to be a 07 Escalade ext L92 into a 416 stroker using summit racing Pro LS 416 stroker forged rotating assembly .

Stock L92 rectangle port cylinder heads with BTR high lift duel spring and retainer kit. BTR Stage 2 LS3 NA performance cam. Heads were decked for straightness and slightly raised compression to 11.3:1. Runs fine with Sunoco Altra 94 octane.

Summits forged H beam rods

The LS3 416 is nicely sitting between the fenders of my 81 NASCAR turbo Trans Am backed by a 4L70E 3000 rpm stall converter. All electronics are run with the Holley Terminator X max FI ECU.

VVT delete Comp cams true double roller timing chain… Melling hi volume high pressure pump. I needed to remove some material from inside the timing chain cover for the cover to clear the oil pump bolts.

Quick Reply: Need advice building a l92